MERGED --> Anyone else seen the COBL video? + Here it is: COBL Video Link+COBL Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got mixed feelings about the video...

1. It seems kind of dark. But I was watching a small, streaming version so I'm hoping that was the reason. I'll hold off judgement on the lighting until I see it properly on tv.

2. I don't feel like the video really captures the massive quality of the tour. They have a couple pull out shots of the stage, but the band isn't really utilizing it. I know that Bono, Edge, and Adam don't traditionally move onto the ellipse ramp during COBL, but I think they should have for the video. The ramp is such a cool, U2 only staging effect that I think non-fans would find really interesting. The video does nothing to showcase this element of the stage.

3. I thought Bono should have interacted more with fans. I think Bono's "I'm Jesus, reach out and touch me" thing looks great on camera. Bono spends most of the video at the microphone stand.

4. Something seems off with the audio. I realize that they didn't use the album version of the song. I assume they instead recorded off the soundboard to make sure Bono's vocals synched up with the visuals. However, the vocals seem too loud or the guitars to soft or something... I don't know, the mixing just doesn't seem right.

5. The light curtains look awesome and are my favorite part of the video. They make such a cool backdrop on the close ups of the band.

madonna's child said:
I've got mixed feelings about the video...
1. It seems kind of dark. But I was watching a small, streaming version so I'm hoping that was the reason. I'll hold off judgement on the lighting until I see it properly on tv.

Agree with that. Now I don't mind dark videos, but I just don't think it's a good idea marketingwise, releasing a dark video at the start of the summer...

I really like how the video turned out. They do such a great job with the curtain lights during the concert and I wanted that captured. So, I was floored when I heard they're making the official video out of the concert footage.

I love how the lights start blinking on as the guitar intro starts. Then, comes Larry's slow introduction of his drum beats. It's just as I remember when I caught them twice in Denver.

Redoing the vocals was also a great move. They really synched up The Edge's backing (high) vocals with Bono's. I thought The Edge's part was too high in concert, but in the video it's perfect. Speaking of which, I like how The Edge led of during the second chorus when he sings "and I miss you..." about a second before Bono joins him.

I know what you mean, Mad Child, about the audio. I think they did isolate each musician (and including the crowd noise) and spliced them together for clarity. As a single, they still can't make totally live. I like it though because Bono's voice is clear and distinct over the other instruments. Each instrument is clear and distinct over all other instruments and Bono's voice. Check out the guitar part during "can you see the beauty inside of me" - very pronounced.

Can't wait to see on TV!

so the video I downloaded is a live shot with no effects or anything. what is the difference between the two videos?

how do I know if this is the real video or the "live video".
why did they even hire alex and martin if that's the case.

the official video has a shortened intro and is edited to be a shorter more radio friendly song

the live video has the words everyone at the beginning and is the full song

i much prefer the editing of the live video

I think it's pretty good for a performance video, which are usually boring, especially lip synched performance videos.

So I give it a thumbs up, granted I have not seen the live performance with my own eyes, so it may indeed no do the live one justice. I just think it's nicely understated, direct and powerful which is something U2 doesn't do much of anymore, and I wish they would.

The "live" version video of COBL rocks.... Did Hamish direct this one?

The other COBL video by that other team of clowns that did the Vertigo video is horrible. I just don't think those guys have any talent. I think that the Vertigo is one of the worst from the U2 video collection:madspit:

Yeah Hamish did the live one, and I agree, its much better. Cant wait for the DVD.

I kinda like the video. Yes, I agree that it doesn't hold a candle to the creative and innovative videos of the 90s or even the 80s as a matter of fact. But the darkness of their faces/profiles is obviously there on purpose. I don't mind it. In fact I like how after the 'getting ready to leave the ground' line, the explosion of light still reveals their faces only partially. Complete opposite to the cringeworthy Stuck In A Moment video where Bono is doing dumb poses in a football stadium. Okay, they edited the song.. that sucked, but wasn't that expected anyway? Plus... I like how the video reminds me of my very first u2 show. :drool:

Chizip said:

I have to say I like that clip a lot better than the official video

Agreed, the live clip really drew me in, I watched it twice, I think I'll watch it again...the sound is good too, it sounds way better than the official music video. I do like the music video though, and of course they had to shorten it, no way the MTV crowd would go for a song over five minutes. I don't care that they edited it, I can listen to the full version all I want.

I hope the live one ends up on the DVD... I like it a lot, good angles, I thought it was much more equal in showing all four members of the band than previous DVDs (of course this is based solely on one song). I like all the above angles. Could have possibly shown the cool stage effects a bit more, but overall great job :up:

:faint: just saw the video of COBL at U2.com....wow!...i have to say i love it...better then the official release as well...much brighter and better IMO...
Who said U2.com are not useful?!...:laugh:

dr.dae said:
Did they say on U2.com there is a second "studio" version of the video as well ?
:huh:

yeah, does that mean there are 2 versions? wheres the second version? other then U2.com ofcorse........ (dam U2.com)

U2DMfan said:
I just think it's nicely understated, direct and powerful which is something U2 doesn't do much of anymore, and I wish they would.

:yes: Exactly! I liked how they were just shown as dark silhouettes and not larger than life itself. Complete opposite to the cringeworthy Stuck In A Moment video! (yes I said it in EYKIW and I'm saying it again here)

On one hand, it's sort of a turd.
On another hand, I kind of like it.

I mean, you bring in effects wizzes Alex and Martin to shoot a video called City of BLINDING Lights and you shoot it about as dark as possible with no effects at all.

The flip side is the darkness works well as an offset to the bright lights, and it's simple enough to appreciate the song over the "dazzling" images.

IMO< performance videos are done best like this.
Shoot the shot, let the performance speak, but use the lighting artistically so that it's still natural but has the atmosphere of the live performance.

But if you were going for straight performance art piece, then why not get Corbijn to shoot it? Maybe he was busy.
He shot the entire Depeche Mode-Devotional live tour video and it is GORGEOUS.

so my verdict:
I think it's pretty good, it could have been cheesy deluxe, but instead I think it is understated enough that the song is not diminished.

And for the next video (OOTS?) I hope they get Godley to do it.

Both videos are posted on u2.com.

I actually like the Alex and Martin one better. Hamish is a hack, and needs to stop with SO rapid of editing and jerky camera shots. A&M is more like Rattle and Hum and is more "Filmed" rather than "MTVEdited"

You all probably know this, if you go to poplemon.com they have a bunch of videos that come right up for you. City is not there yet though. I relate this only cuz I have a hell of a time playing any video for some reason, could be the firewall here at work. None of the links to City have worked for me.

Chrisedge said:
A&M is more like Rattle and Hum and is more "Filmed" rather than "MTVEdited"

Well said.

That ADD, MTV fast edit bullshit makes me want to change the channel almost everytime.

I think a video can be cool with lots of edits, Even Better Than The Real Thing for example, but not that jerky god damn edit edit edit edit one right after another. Fucking STOP it.

That new Bruce Springsteen video is pretty cool. It's direct, simple, not many shots, just the song, the performance and Broooce.

Meh, I like them both, well okay I like the song, and both videos are live. :combust:

I do like how Adam's almost dancing with his bass on the A&M version. ;)

Chrisedge said:
Both videos are posted on u2.com.

I actually like the Alex and Martin one better. Hamish is a hack, and needs to stop with SO rapid of editing and jerky camera shots. A&M is more like Rattle and Hum and is more "Filmed" rather than "MTVEdited"

Very well said, yes. I believe the A&M version was going for that magic of Rattle and Hum. Where the music is bigger than than the actual sight of the band. The shadows of the band members gave a mysterious quality and the song, itself, is supposed to be about the fans. The spotlight should be more on them than the band and that message is put across well with this video.

As for the concert video, I loved the sight from above the Edge looking down at the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom