MERGED ----> Am I the only Yahweh lover? + Yahweh = Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what a bomb!

Refugee
Am I the only Yahweh lover?

downloaded the songs before I went out tonight, and its the one song on the album that is instantly catchy! couldn't get it out of my head down the pub! lol anyone else love it?

Yahweh is BLOODY AMAZING. It's an eloquent prayer of a rocker.

No-one is really talking about it! What does it sound like? can you reference another song to give me an impression?

Answer me forum user "what a bomb!"

No, you're not! This is definitely one of my favorite U2 songs ever! I'm amazed that more people aren't talking about it too. An incredible song...

i love it

for whatever odd reason, im reminded of do you feel loved meets one tree hill somehow.

I can't compare it to anything else right now! Its a great rocker with a very melodic vocal! done with a double vocal, one low and the other slightly higher!

Yahweh = Africa

Having heard the whole magnificence that is HTAAB, I am surprised not to see a few more mentions to Yahweh. Perhaps this album is just an embarrassment of riches, with something for everyone, that it is too much to digest in a day.

Crumbs is the obvious Africa reference, (and a great song!) but Yahweh is the one that was the surprise of the album for me. The lyrics just ripped me up. I was bawling from the start, and if you knew me that would surprise you. (I am a bit of a cynic these days) I knew Miracle Drug and a few others would do it for me. But something about this lyric shone a light on a nameless child. I could actually imagine this little person in a forgotten country, with nothing.

Mentions of shoes not fitting, polyester shirts, but most especially "Take this soul Stranded in some skin and bones" just hit me for six. A city SHOULD be shining on a hill, not a ghetto.

Maybe Africa has been on my mind lately. (When I say Africa I really mean poverty worldwide) I am about to get married and my life is so safe and blessed, that I can't help but feel like "what did I do to deserve this?"

My wife-to-be has helped me see life in a different way. She had a much harder childhood than I did, and will always see things from the point of view of the little person, maybe alone, maybe with little. We have sponsored a child in Zimbabwe, which has been one of the smallest yet most important things I have done. But I want to do more, I just don't know what quite yet.

Then along comes this album, from the only band that has ever made me feel real emotion. It has made me feel, and made me think. What a beautiful album. What a beautiful song.

what a bomb! said:
I can't compare it to anything else right now! Its a great rocker with a very melodic vocal! done with a double vocal, one low and the other slightly higher!

Sounds interesting! whats the guitar sound like? tempo?

Re: Yahweh = Africa

davexl said:
Crumbs is the obvious Africa reference, (and a great song!) but Yahweh is the one that was the surprise of the album for me. The lyrics just ripped me up. I was bawling from the start, and if you knew me that would surprise you. (I am a bit of a cynic these days) I knew Miracle Drug and a few others would do it for me. But something about this lyric shone a light on a nameless child. I could actually imagine this little person in a forgotten country, with nothing.

Maybe Africa has been on my mind lately. (When I say Africa I really mean poverty worldwide) I am about to get married and my life is so safe and blessed, that I can't help but feel like "what did I do to deserve this?"

Yes....Crumbs slapped me across the face. The part about where one is born should not determine whether you live or die. I've been saying that for so long in defense of Africa who is literally dying for 'crumbs of help' from a world that has essentially turned a blind eye.

Where I have been born has had nothing to do with me, I had no control over that....I am blessed for where I've been born. But being born where I have been does give me a responsiblity....a debt almost because I was the fortunate one...I need to be the change I wish to see in the world.

I'd compare it musically to a cross between "Falling at Your Feet" and "One Tree Hill." Lyrically, it's beautiful... I love it!

its 2.36 in the morning here and I cannot think! lol ok what it reminds me off (guitar) is the chime from All I Want Is You,with a pinch of Heartland, a toss of In Gods Country it seems to hark back to Rattle and Hum era! lol

Best album closer since '40,' methinks. Don't get me wrong, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, and All I want is You are great songs, and compliment the albums perfectly. 'Love is Blindness" was a change, and the uneasiness carried through "Wake up Dead Man." Again, each suited the album perfectly, disillusionment with love on Achtung Baby, etc. "Grace" was an attempt at understated joy. But this song is a song of acceptance, faith, and only slightly reserved joy. But I can't think of a U2 album ending on an upnote in...ever? Except maybe October. Anyway, this song is brilliant.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Best album closer since '40,' methinks. Don't get me wrong, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, and All I want is You are great songs, and compliment the albums perfectly. 'Love is Blindness" was a change, and the uneasiness carried through "Wake up Dead Man." Again, each suited the album perfectly, disillusionment with love on Achtung Baby, etc. "Grace" was an attempt at understated joy. But this song is a song of acceptance, faith, and only slightly reserved joy. But I can't think of a U2 album ending on an upnote in...ever? Except maybe October. Anyway, this song is brilliant.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

john1800 said:
I'd compare it musically to a cross between "Falling at Your Feet" and "One Tree Hill." Lyrically, it's beautiful... I love it!

YES!!! Thank you John! I was racking my brains trying to figure the exact song. I couldn't pull myself away from this listen to grab the $Million soundtrack. I kept saying to myself it sounds like Bono and Daniel L.

what a bomb! said:
its 2.36 in the morning here and I cannot think! lol ok what it reminds me off (guitar) is the chime from All I Want Is You,with a pinch of Heartland, a toss of In Gods Country it seems to hark back to Rattle and Hum era! lol

Quite a mix :D I'm really interested in Yahweh because a while ago I saw it heralded as "one fo u2's best songs ever" and yet it is not getting that much attention so far, and a bit bashed in reviews.

Yahweh's intro... isnt it marvellous? Really different and creative...

And Bonos double vocals...so much sentiment there...

Its up there with All i want is you, Love is Blindness and Wanderer as best U2 closing albums songs!

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
Yahweh's intro... isnt it marvellous? Really different and creative...

And Bonos double vocals...so much sentiment there...

Its up there with All i want is you, Love is Blindness and Wanderer as best U2 closing albums songs!

Woohoo! So its not a throwaway song then...I feared that a bit.

Good!

Sleep Over Jack said:

Woohoo! So its not a throwaway song then...I feared that a bit.

Good!

There are actually no "throwaway" songs on HTDAAB! Each song is a solid and meaningful track. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

My father loves this song. Infact, he has played it four times in a row and now I'm sick of it! :wink:

And my opinion: it's the only song I really don't know what to think of right now. I need a few weeks to make up my mind. But it will be in the encore during the next tour, that's for sure.

Is it just me or does the melodic pattern when Bono sings 'Yahweh, Yahweh, Yahweh', sound distinctly similar to the melodic pattern when Bono sang 'Midnight, midnight, midnight' on the ZooTV versions of Lemon?

Back
Top Bottom