MERGED ----> Am I the only Yahweh lover? + Yahweh = Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh evokes the spirit of "One Tree Hill" and is a so amazingly appealing (comforting) in its familiarity. This is just another amazing peice that makes up the most emotionally satisfying U2 album ever. Several non-U2 fans have given these songs a listen and they are universal in their praise. The most common comment is that it is a very uplifting, and positive album that sound familiar and unique all at the same time.

Yahweh saves the best for last

namkcuR said:
Is it just me or does the melodic pattern when Bono sings 'Yahweh, Yahweh, Yahweh', sound distinctly similar to the melodic pattern when Bono sang 'Midnight, midnight, midnight' on the ZooTV versions of Lemon?

True! :up:

Still don't know how to rate this song...

Yahweh! The greatest closer since...

All I Want is You. There, I said it. :yes:

I can honestly see them closing the setlist with this beauty. :up:

This is my 2nd favorite on the album (Original... is #1). This is amazing! I actually listen to the last 2 tracks more than the rest. That seems so weird.

I didn't care for Walk On as the closer honestly. Yahweh or not, I still would rather see 40 close it.

"Walk On" should remain the closer for their shows, but "Yahweh" is definitely one of the best closers.

SFGAL said:
Is this you Rollie? My rollie? If not, I'm a fool.

Yes Yahweh has got to be a closer.

:hug:

Hey San Fran! :wave:

You can email me at jessclay@hotmail.com . Lots to catch up I know! Sorry, I haven't stayed in touch. :reject:

Give me an email and I'll give you a story (like what the hell I've been up to the past 2 years).

Good to see you.

C.

Yahweh is great!! I remember listening to it for the first time lying in bed with my headphones on and just being so amazingly happy... what a joyous song and a perfect ending to a perfect album! But the thing is, it could have been anywhere on the album and worked. It's also insanely catchy.

However when the song was over I got kind of depressed...until I realized I could listen to the whole album again!!! :D and again and again and again...

Yahweh is about Jerusalem where unforgiveness, bitterness, anger and blood vengeance is determines politics, behaviour, attitudes and prejudices.

Note the last few verses about the city on a hill. Bono is fusing Christian scripture and what Jerusalem should be.

The epithet "city on a hill" refers to being a good example of a Christian in conduct and life, it is ironic that Jerusalem meaning "city of peace" is, well, not a city of peace as it should be. And the fact that Jerusalem's most holiest place is on a prominent hill where the old Jewish temple and the current Dome of Rock and Al-Aqsa mosque is located at the moment.

starsgoblue said:
:wave: AtomicBono!

My girls got good taste! :wink:

And I'm glad she isn't one of those silly HTDAAB virgins and is a fellow U2 smutty girl like moi! :macdevil:

:wave: Heya stars!

Yeah, I'm a U2 whore. Hurrah for the U2 whores!

edit: I'm so high on U2 I can't even do my smilies right! :lol:

Last edited:
I like it. But I still need more listens.

But something struck me the first time I listened to it: is that really how you pronounce Yahweh? I know it's not meant to be spoken so I never really heard it but I always figured it would be pronounced Yahveh (the w sounding like an english v).

Imagine my surprise when Bono started singing Yahweh this way :|

Yahweh (Ya - where)

Yahweh is an improvisatioin, it is derived from the Hebrew Tetragrammon (for those who care hehe) YHWH, no really knows who it is pronounced, they just inserted vowels in between YH and WH and got a Yah and Weh with it.

I'd always spelled it "Jaweh" (but still pronounced it yah-way).

Yahweh is an improvisatioin, it is derived from the Hebrew Tetragrammon (for those who care hehe) YHWH, no really knows who it is pronounced, they just inserted vowels in between YH and WH and got a Yah and Weh with it.

I don't know much about Hebrew, but isn't this same rule true for words like "shalom"? Isn't it just SLM which can make things like shalam, shalom, islam, muslim, etc?

*edit: I forgot to say right now this song's my favorite!

Last edited:
shalom means peace --
Yahweh is what the Hebrews called God in the Old Testament it was an unspeakable word and only could be written like YHWH (because it was so sacred) when you are reading in the bible and see LORD (in all caps) that is the hebrew word Yahweh - the most reverant word for God

btw this is definitely one of my favorites

Last edited:
Right now Yaweh and Original of the Species are the two that I'm playing over and over. I'm sure things will change but right now those two are my favorites off the album.

learn2kneel said:
shalom means peace --
Yahweh is what the Hebrews called God in the Old Testament it was an unspeakable word and only could be written like YHWH (because it was so sacred) when you are reading in the bible and see LORD (in all caps) that is the hebrew word Yahweh - the most reverant word for God

btw this is definitely one of my favorites

maybe a slight correction on what you said. it was written YHWH because that is how you would write any Hebrew word since as mentioned earlier they didn't use vowels in their writing. One nation, one simple language so everyone would look at the words and automatically know how to pronounce them. The people freely used god's name in everyday life and even their names would sometimes have a reference to god's name as part of it. For example, Jesus means--Yahweh or Jehovah is salvation. It wasn't until the Jews turned to pagan superstitions that they got this crazy idea that god's name was too sacred to pronounce. the name of god actually means 'he causes to become'. inotherwords what ever he wants to accomplish he can. Unfortunately christianity carried on the same superstition to the extreme by actually taking god's name out of the bible. YHWH was in the bible over 7000 times. By the time the king james version came out they had only left it in there in 4 places. Fortunately in the last few years with the discovery of the dead sea scrolls, etc. it has been put back into the bible in many catholic and protestant bibles usually as Yahweh or Jehovah in english. also, jah is a shortened form of god's name. for example it is incorporated in elijah, hallelujah. Someone on this forum is calling himself yahweh. I think that might be pushing it.

namkcuR said:
Is it just me or does the melodic pattern when Bono sings 'Yahweh, Yahweh, Yahweh', sound distinctly similar to the melodic pattern when Bono sang 'Midnight, midnight, midnight' on the ZooTV versions of Lemon?

I'm so damn glad that somebody pointed this out! The moment I got to the chorus, the first run through the song, I was ready to start singing along. "Yahweh....Yahweh..../It's where our God begins," or something along those lines. I really enjoy the song, I found the lyrics to be mostly great, and it was a nice and fun way to end the album--it's a heavy song, yes, but it leaves me feeling pretty light and hopeful. Regardless, I now can't help but wonder if God wears lemon....?

Yahweh, in my opinion, is their most catchy song, besides OOTS. id say they should release it as a single, but im not sure how people would react to such strong religious connotations. what do you think about its prospects for being a single?

After having an averse initial reaction to the album as whole, it's growing on me - and especially this song. Yahweh is the most powerful song on the album in every respect, yet its presentation is very understated. Amazing.

Yahweh is my **favorite** song on the album right now...and I fully know the complete origin of the name, its incarnations, translations, etc...

It's awesome that His name is being restored to its proper place in our lives and spirituality...and this song reaffirms my belief that Bono shares this sentiment..

and agree that the person who has named themselves Yahweh has gone way too far..

SYCMIOYO
OOTS
COBL

***CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE***

AWESOME SONGS

The rest are great too but those 4 are standouts

Yahweh will be U2s best closing song ever...40 was great too but ......Yahweh is the natural evolution of 40..40's cry/lament fully expanded from it's original passage...to a cry/petition for today's generation...redemption songs...

There isnt really a song on the album I'm NOT wanting to listen to....it really rocks..

Im so happy I don't know what to say really..

A side thought..if anyone wants to bite...in biblical times alot of the prophets and seers used music and song to tell their tale, offer supplication to God etc....I wont say much more other than put that out there for someone to muse on...;)

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
No-one is really talking about it! What does it sound like? can you reference another song to give me an impression?

Answer me forum user "what a bomb!"

Sounds a little like Falling at Your Feet from Million Dollar Hotel which was my favorite from that album.

While I love this song, I should also state that I am not religious. I think people generally should figure things out for themselves and not speak in tongues, as the meaning gets lost.

Having said that, Yahweh has that yearning/sadness/optimism that everyone can relate to emotionally.

Back
Top Bottom