MERGED-->ALL U2 at Live 8 discussion, complaints, links, sets, etc -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2DMfan said:
anyone ragging on that performance of 'One' deserves a swift kick to the balls.

It's the best version of One I've heard in 10 years.

Agreed. I feel that U2 did a great job. Sure, I wish they could have played more songs but, that would take up too much time. I feel that the whole entire Live 8 concert in London was a success. So can we stop arguing on this and just let the music speak for itself.

ponkine said:
No my friend, I´m a U2 fan, but listening carefully to the whole performance, it was shameful, really. Sorry for my words, but they couldn´t have performed a worse setlist and in a worse way. They looked and sounded boring, uninspired, just performing exactly what they perform all the time, as a contractual bussiness.

Bono can´t sing Vertigo well, and the song itself was completely pointless at that event. Beautiful Day... and One... performing that overplayed song they appear as a truly one hit wonder act.

Completely predictable, completely irrelevant, completely forgettable. As a U2 fan...do you know what I mean ? I´m talking about a band who changed the music history during the 80´s and 90´s... I simply can´t praise the s*** the performed today, another kinda by performance as they have been playing since 2000. I´m listening to Bad now...

OK, I bite (once again). So what would you have liked as the setlist? You can't change their opening song (which was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, a song/cover they'd never performed before), so you only have 3 choices.

:sigh:

maddyu2 said:
Live 8, like its predecessor, is supposed to be a global jukebox. In other words, Geldof wanted all the artists involved with the event to get on stage for 15 minutes sing their hits and get off.

Thank you :up:.

Seriously, I've said it once already and I'll say it again, is there a chance that all the complaining about the setlist could stop and the focus could be more on the actual point of the show. Things like setlists on a day like this are totally irrelevant issues.

Anywho, yet again, I'm just gonna give a :up: to every artist who performed today. Even the ones whose music I don't really listen to sounded good. Pink Floyd sounded great (my dad's a fan of both Pink Floyd and U2 and he thought both bands did a fantastic job today).

And that was an amazing story regarding that girl who came out right before Madonna's set. What a beautiful young woman she's become. Congrats to her on all her achievements :up:. That story really affected my dad-he was quite moved by that one, as well as all the images shown throughout the day. Had some good discussions with him this afternoon regarding all the issues involved here and everything-he's fully supportive of this whole thing.

Also, those little kids who came out to sing along during "Hey Jude" at the end...:cute:. So adorable. And that was a great finale, too-I actually got a bit misty-eyed watching it.

A simply amazing day. Here's hoping it all pays off big time next week *Crosses fingers*.

Angela

alright. i don't come around here a lot, buti have to say the version of One is sounding really really beautiful and wonderful and thank you so much for the ysi links. they showed only vertigo and bd on the canadian highlights.. then the intro of one with bono's speech.. then just cut away. so i've only heard it. but it sounded good. and basically.. what everyone else said about the song selection.. predictable, but wholly just fine.

i just wish the flaming lips performed at one of the concerts and did the walking in a giant blow-up ball over the crowd thing.

I'm really really looking forward to a video if anyone should chance to put one up.

if those ysi links run out, there's a torrent of a flac file of the performance here

I can't believe anyone is actually complaining about U2's performance!! :shock: It's incredible - but then, one complainer is Ponkine. :rolleyes:

"Beautiful Day" and "One" are easily the two best choices for U2 to have performed. In fact, if you want to question anything, question U2's performance at Live Aid back in '85. They performed one of their "hit" songs and what was to be two songs ("Pride" was to be performed, but wasn't) from their most recent album (talk about promotion!). None of those songs really were apropos for Live Aid (how does an anti-war song, anti-drug song and a song about MLK deal with famine?). In contrast, "Beautiful Day" and "One" were almost written for L8. U2's performance was easily the best performance to start off this serious, yet fun, event. It set the message and the tone: rock all you want, but remember why everyone is there.

Sadly, it seems that some people wish to ignore that message and perfer to debase anything U2 does. These sad individuals are more entertained by their daily events of disparaging U2 than by the music/performances of all those wonderful artists. :tsk:

*edited to add that I loved U2's Live Aid performance! It was easily one of the best of that day. However, I think the songs U2 performed today were far more powerful and influential than those songs. Furthermore, if Bono had dived into the crowd again, he'd be viewed as trying to repeat what he did in '85. What U2 did for L8 was perfect. Likewise, I say the same for all the artists who performed at both concerts (and kudos to all of those artists for being around for 20 years!!).

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
I can't believe anyone is actually complaining about U2's performance!! :shock: It's incredible - but then, one complainer is Ponkine. :rolleyes:

"Beautiful Day" and "One" are easily the two best choices for U2 to have performed. In fact, if you want to question anything, question U2's performance at Live Aid back in '85. They performed one of their "hit" songs and what was to be two songs ("Pride" was to be performed, but wasn't) from their most recent album (talk about promotion!). None of those songs really were apropos for Live Aid (how does an anti-war song, anti-drug song and a song about MLK deal with famine?). In contrast, "Beautiful Day" and "One" were almost written for L8. U2's performance was easily the best performance to start off this serious, yet fun, event. It set the message and the tone: rock all you want, but remember why everyone is there.

Sadly, it seems that some people wish to ignore that message and perfer to debase anything U2 does. These sad individuals are more entertained by their daily events of disparaging U2 than by the music/performances of all those wonderful artists. :tsk:

*edited to add that I loved U2's Live Aid performance! It was easily one of the best of that day. However, I think the songs U2 performed today were far more powerful and influential than those songs. Furthermore, if Bono had dived into the crowd again, he'd be viewed as trying to repeat what he did in '85. What U2 did for L8 was perfect. Likewise, I say the same for all the artists who performed at both concerts (and kudos to all of those artists for being around for 20 years!!).

So you're saying that Beautiful Day and Vertigo are 'far more powerful' than Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday? Are you kidding me? Needless to say, I disagree. Bad completely dwarves BD and Vertigo. That said, I don't think U2 should've repeated what they did at live aid step for step(i.e.Bono in the crowd, etc), not at all. But I still don't like the set they chose. Their performances of those songs were great, no doubt, I have no problem with the performances. Just the setlist.

Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
One

OR

Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
One

OR

Crumbs From Your Table
Please
One

Any of those would have been more to my liking.

All of this said, I haven't lost sight of the point of the whole thing, and I give kudos to all the bands that performed.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

So you're saying that Beautiful Day and Vertigo are 'far more powerful' than Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday? Are you kidding me? Needless to say, I disagree. Bad completely dwarves BD and Vertigo. That said, I don't think U2 should've repeated what they did at live aid step for step(i.e.Bono in the crowd, etc), not at all. But I still don't like the set they chose. Their performances of those songs were great, no doubt, I have no problem with the performances. Just the setlist.

Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
One

OR

Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
One

OR

Crumbs From Your Table
Please
One

Any of those would have been more to my liking.

All of this said, I haven't lost sight of the point of the whole thing, and I give kudos to all the bands that performed.
i think you should read his post again, i didnt once notice anything about "power" and as he said why the hell would 2 anti war songs be right for live 8?

get a life and stop trying to find a fault with everything the band does that isnt zooropa or achtung, and pop

and the people complaining about U2's set being "predictable (which saying thay is laughable in itself) what about pink floyds? how predictable was that? or coldplays? madonna's? oh and well pretty much everyones?

its very sad that people feel the need to moan and bitch about this time and time again, and yet stick around here?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Here's the ranking of the performances according to BBC

Sir Paul McCartney and U2: One of the most super of supergroups of all time, and Sergeant Pepper was a suitable opening, even if the song has dated a bit. 9/10 for wow factor.

U2: They still have so much passion that it was impossible not to get swept up in their blockbuster anthems. They had the park singing and clapping and set the tone for the day. 10/10

Coldplay: Powerful and popular. The peak of their rousing set came when Richard Ashcroft came on for a rendition of Bittersweet Symphony. But they are not ready take over U2's mantle as biggest band in world quite yet. 8/10

Complete list here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4645039.stm

KUEFC09U2 said:
i think you should read his post again, i didnt once notice anything about "power" and as he said why the hell would 2 anti war songs be right for live 8?

get a life and stop trying to find a fault with everything the band does that isnt zooropa or achtung, and pop

Why don't you read his post again?

However, I think the songs U2 performed today were far more powerful and influential than those songs

And in my post I only mentioned one song from Zooropa/Pop, so there goes that thoery.

Anyway, why do you get so worked up about people you don't know disagreeing with you on the internet? You seem angry and frustrated and for what? You are completely out of line. I am not trying to find a fault in anything. I even complimented U2's performances themselves. All I am questioning is the setlist.

namkcuR said:

Why don't you read his post again?

And in my post I only mentioned one song from Zooropa/Pop, so there goes that thoery.

Anyway, why do you get so worked up about people you don't know disagreeing with you on the internet? You seem angry and frustrated and for what? You are completely out of line. I am not trying to find a fault in anything. I even complimented U2's performances themselves. All I am questioning is the setlist.
because sometimes people claim to be dislking what the band are doing at the mintue, but still decide they want to hang around and pretty much disagree with the people who are making positive points, just for the sake of it aka ponkine

namkcuR said:

So you're saying that Beautiful Day and Vertigo are 'far more powerful' than Bad and Sunday Bloody Sunday?

YES!

How in the name of L8 are "Bad" and "Sunday" more appropriate than "One", BD and "Vertigo" for this type of event?

Remember, I'm not talking about "better songs" (which is ridiculously subjective) or anyone's personal preferences, but what songs are best suited for this event.

"Bad" is a great song, but tell me, what has it got to do with famine?

In contrast, the messages and themes of "One" and BD, and, to a lesser extent, "Vertigo", are perfect for the day.

Plus, I'm elated U2 didn't go back to their 80's catalog for this performance, U2 performed at Live Aid. To dip into their 80's songs for L8 would not look good. May as well have Bono grow back his mullet and have him pull a girl from the audience again. :rolleyes:

No, U2's performance was spot on. I can't think of better songs to play. Plus, remember, this is also meant to entertain - so naturally U2 are going to pick some of their most popular songs that aren't too heavy (like "Bullet") to play as well. This is why we heard "Ray of Light" from Madonna - a great entertaining song.

I also want to give extra kudos to artists like U2, Madonna, George Michael, Duran Duran, etc., who performed at both Live Aid and L8. To me, this shows the impact and caring all these artists have had on the world for two decades!

P.S. I want to add that the setlists you wrote in your post would have bored me, and the audience, to tears. "Crumbs" has never been played live and is a little known song. "Please" and "Bullet" are FAR too serious for this event. Had U2 played any of your playlists, they would've flopped spectacularly.

well its no secret that on the bbc there were only 4 artists get got 10/10, U2, Madonna, Pink Floyd, and Paul Mc

coldplay only got 8/10

KUEFC09U2 said:
well its no secret that on the bbc there were only 4 artists get got 10/10, U2, Madonna, Pink Floyd, and Paul Mc

coldplay only got 8/10

U2 were the only artist to get 19/20, damn Macca for bringing them down a point:wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
weres this?

haha tis a bad joke on my part, the BBC included a review for the Sgt Peppers opening bit, itonly got 9/10:up:

Bullet and Please wouldn't work for obvious reasons, Bad was already done on Live 8 and Crumbs is better saved for the tour for the first performance.

Realistically, One was a given this time - as well as something from the Bomb.
Beautiful day helped to raise the spirits of the audience.

Perfomance itself was, as in most cases with U2, very good. Cool intro with McCartney, uplifting Beautiful day, rocking Vertigo and the more serious One. Whille I felt Bono was a bit subdued at the first song, he was in full swing by the time of Vertigo and made the point with One and preceeding speech.

Last edited:
prisz25 said:
i can't believe in the USA they are not showing U2 alone! jeez what a scam :mad:

Hey in the USA they are showing NOTHING from Canada! NOTHING!
I know many of our bands are unknown in the state, but Jesus..everyone knows Neil Young!!! or Motley Crue!!!
Hell even the Hip woulda gone over well or DMC.

ponkine said:
U2 proved they´re more outdated and irrelevant than ever and they sounded older than Pink Floyd or any other band, and Pink Floyd were the Gods of the whole event :drool:

Shame on U2, God bless Pink Floyd :drool:

U2 have become ...

Comfortably Numb ...

You dumb-ass. :madspit:
How can U2 be boring and predictable for playing their greatest hits and Pink Floyd be "Gods" for playing Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here?
Screw Pink Floyd for not playing an obscure b-side.
The predictable, corporate whores.

Great setlist
Great performance
The intro/one/unchained melody was awesome, made me cry

Showed why U2 is the best band in the world
Bono encouraged Bob to organize this event at this particular moment

Amazing how far Bono's taken his dream!
Thank you Bono!You are a genius

Live8 disappointed me a little. I think it was because of the crappy coveragebut I just felt...ehh. I was going to watch the whole thing but I left my TV after an hour. I mean, there were amazing moments but the coverage sucked so much and there were like a million commercials that it made the thing unberable. However, I liked what little I saw of U2 and Coldplay. I guess I'll just wait for the DVD...

u2were ok and gray
robbie williams was great

velvet revolver , floyd ,
roxy music , the who , almost all other acts in london were much better
green day , rem , audioslave

Let's end all this crap. U2's performance was by far the best of the day. Their opening with Sir Paul was absolutely splendid, and their own set was uplifting, rocky, serious and emotional at the same time. No other artists can reach U2 when they are at their best - and noone did, not even the elder guys.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Don't forget Elton John and Robbie Williams (according to the BBC). Personally, I would have added Annie Lennox too.

Back
Top Bottom