MERGED-->ALL U2 at Live 8 discussion, complaints, links, sets, etc -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I concur! Pink Floyd = :drool:

BTW, I can't believe we're comparing U2 to Pink Floyd. They're like apples & oranges as far as I'm concerned. I thought both sets were great (at least, the bits MTV/Vh1 allowed the U.S. viewers to see... *sigh*)

ponkine said:
U2 proved they´re more outdated and irrelevant than ever and they sounded older than Pink Floyd or any other band, and Pink Floyd were the Gods of the whole event :drool:

Shame on U2, God bless Pink Floyd :drool:

U2 have become ...

Comfortably Numb ...

whats wrong with you?

pink floyd and u2 are two of the greatest bands that ever existed... and both should be praised... and both did beautifully.

whats with all the U2 negativity from you? if you dont like them anymore.. go away then.

No my friend, I´m a U2 fan, but listening carefully to the whole performance, it was shameful, really. Sorry for my words, but they couldn´t have performed a worse setlist and in a worse way. They looked and sounded boring, uninspired, just performing exactly what they perform all the time, as a contractual bussiness.

Bono can´t sing Vertigo well, and the song itself was completely pointless at that event. Beautiful Day... and One... performing that overplayed song they appear as a truly one hit wonder act.

Completely predictable, completely irrelevant, completely forgettable. As a U2 fan...do you know what I mean ? I´m talking about a band who changed the music history during the 80´s and 90´s... I simply can´t praise the s*** the performed today, another kinda by performance as they have been playing since 2000. I´m listening to Bad now...

dont even bash "One".

the setlist was fine. vertigo could have been done without.. but come on.. this wasnt ever gonna be like the original live aid and never was intended to and i think you are expected way too much here.

i also agree that they should have come on stage later... and not been the first band. everything was too quick.
everything was rushed and it was not the bands fault.

beautiful day... is a classic, imho. and yes, im not a new fan... i have been a diehard fan since 1987 and i think the song is great and appropriate. this was not some U2 concert... where rare and unexpected songs are to be played. this was a different kind of an event.

i feel they should have been able to do more songs.

one/unchained melody, bad, beautiful day, streets, unforgettable fire or a sort of homecoming would have been cool... not too obscure... but would have fit the event well and UF and ASOH are rarely heard of but loved. but minus "vertigo"... everything was a good choice.. but i still enjoyed it. i dont care. u2 seemed great to me. it was just a weird, rushed enviroment. would you also attack the band if they were filled with technical difficulties too?

I don't think Vertigo was really that out of place. They don't have to be political all the time -- It was a rock concert for gods sake, why shouldn't they play a rock song??

i don't think either did bad at ALL.

our coverage was terrible though and all i saw of u2 was the opener and beautiful day.

vertigo wasn't out of place, it set the mood.

Re: U2 Will Only Play Twice, Live 8 Running Order

manwiththespinninhead said:
here is the running order.

1. Paul McCartney/U2

Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

2. U2

One

Bono introduces Coldplay.

3. Coldplay

In My Place

Fix You

Bitter Sweet Symphony duet with Richard Ashcroft

Little Britain’s Matt Lucas and David Walliams introduce Elton John.

4. Elton John

Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting

Bitch Is Back

Children Of The Revolution duet with Pete Doherty

5. Dido

Life For Rent

White Flag

Thank You

6. Stereophonics

Dakota

Local Boy In The Photograph

Bartender And The Thief

Superman (*TBC)

7. REM

The One I Love

Losing My Religion

Imitation Of Life

Everybody Hurts.

8. Ms Dynamite

Dy-na-mi-tee

Judgement Day

Redemption Song

9. Keane

Everybody’s Changing

Somewhere Only We Know

10. Travis

Sing

Turn

Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

11. Bob Geldof

I Don’t Like Mondays

12. Annie Lennox

Walking On Broken Glass

Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves

Sweet Dreams

13. UB40

Medley

14. Snoop Dogg

Medley of Ups And Downs, Nothing But A G Thang, Drop It Like It’s Hot, Signs, Who Am I (What’s My Name)

15. Razorlight

Somewhere Only We Know

Golden Touch

Vice

16. Madonna

Like A Prayer

Music

Ray Of Light

17. Snow Patrol

Chocolate

Run

18. Joss Stone

I Had A Dream

Super Duper Love

19. Scissor Sisters

Laura, Take Your Mama

20. Velvet Revolver

*TBC

21. The Killers

*TBC

22. Sting

Message In A Bottle

Desert Rose

23. Mariah Carey

Vision Of Love

Make It Happen

24. Robbie Williams

Let Me Entertain You

Rock DJ

Feel

25. The Who

Won’t Get Fooled Again

Baba O’Riley

26. Pink Floyd

Money

Comfortably Numb

Wish You Were Here

27. Paul McCartney

Get Back

Drive My Car duet with George Michael

The Long And Winding Road

FINALE

Macca & all the acts

Hey Jude

*To be confirmed

FUCK I would have loved to have seen all of these performances today. :angry:

There was certainly nothing WRONG with U2's performance, although that bad note at the end of BD was ill-placed.

But it would have been awesome to deviate from the script a little and throw in a rocking rarity, ie a Two Hearts or Sort of HC or something off of Achtung/Zooropa.

In addition to BD and One.

Pink Floyd was ridiculously good, and they did steal the show. Paul Macca was completely eh, whatever trying to close the show post-Floyd.

ponkine said:
No my friend, I´m a U2 fan, but listening carefully to the whole performance, it was shameful, really. Sorry for my words, but they couldn´t have performed a worse setlist and in a worse way. They looked and sounded boring, uninspired, just performing exactly what they perform all the time, as a contractual bussiness.

Bono can´t sing Vertigo well, and the song itself was completely pointless at that event. Beautiful Day... and One... performing that overplayed song they appear as a truly one hit wonder act.

Completely predictable, completely irrelevant, completely forgettable. As a U2 fan...do you know what I mean ? I´m talking about a band who changed the music history during the 80´s and 90´s... I simply can´t praise the s*** the performed today, another kinda by performance as they have been playing since 2000. I´m listening to Bad now...

I really can't believe how immature, you are, ponkine. First of all, the fact that they performed Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and One at this event should not be surprising at all (especially to a hard-core fan such as yourself); they are most likely their three most well-known songs, which is similar to what they did in 85 with SBS, Bad, and (pride).

And for them sounding uninspired, were you there? You led on to me believing that all you have seen is a recording, which doesn't sound like a reliable resource to determine their disposition. And even if they didn't, forgive them; their human, and they have been inspiring and emotional for probably 95% of their gigs since they started.

Most of all, this was not a U2 show. It disgusts me that people like you on this board sit here and bitch and moan about a 3-song setlist which you weren't even there to see. Don't lose sight of why they were playing there; this concert was to raise awareness of poverty throughout the world, if U2 was a bit off, its not the biggest deal ever. Grow up.

ponkine said:

Why are you here?:|

U2 performed Vertigo because that was exactly what they were supposed to do. Live 8, like its predecessor, is supposed to be a global jukebox. In other words, Geldof wanted all the artists involved with the event to get on stage for 15 minutes sing their hits and get off. That's why Madonna sang Ray of Light and Like a Prayer. She didn't do anything off her latest album because most people didn't buy it. Vertigo is a newer song that has gotten a lot of radio play. Since this wasn’t a U2 crowd, so to speak, I think the songs they picked were very appropriate.

martha said:

Then shut the fuck up. :shrug:

I concur. :angry:

I don't care if people have their complaints; everyone is entitled to a bitch-fest every once in a while. But not in every single post. It becomes very irritating and very boring very quickly.

Personally, I thought the performance was great. I'm getting a bit tired of Beautiful Day, but it was still nice to see. I'd watch the band play Beautiful Day fifty times over the crap that was played at the Canadian version of Live 8. Vertigo was fantastic, and One...my goodness, I was in tears at the end, it was that good. How anyone could call it "boring" and "uninspired" is beyond me. If anything would have been predictable, it would have been U2 playing Bad. I was actually expecting them to, but they didn't. And I'm glad they didn't, because it surprised me. One better captures the point of the concert anyway.

pokine has become comfortably irrelevant I wish he would go comfortably numb though and go away.

I've so far only seen Sgt. Pepper (brilliant!) and One (amazing), since I'm stuck with watching the highlights on ABC.

I've been saying that One has lost some of its luster on this tour, but man oh man, was that a beautiful version today. Really lovely.

Rats, Martha! Sgt. Pepper kicked off ABC's coverage, and then they showed One later in the program. It's just ending now.

Ponkine, you are tiresome and boring in your endless and completely predicatable negativity. (I'd rather have Jick over you any day.)
Today's version of One was magnificent: poignant, moving, beautiful, transcendent. Even my hard to please non-U2 liking spouse loved it.
What would you rather they had played?

I can't imagine a better choice.

Yay U2! And thank you, Bono.

remember that U2 rushed off (and played first) because they had a concert in Vienna Saturday evening, hence the reason you didn't see them on stage for the finale (Coldplay either).

I thought they were great, got the show off to a great start, energy, etc. I still have yet to see many of the artists before. The newer ones I don't know :reject: , but haven't seen any Elton John and some from the Philly show, and probably nothing from Canada (except Neil Young); barely caught 1/2 a song of Audioslave from Berlin, and 1/2 of Roxy Music; haven't seen any of The Cure, Duran Duran, Def Leppard (just names I can remember that were supposed to appear)... Would like to see at least a little of everything... Oh well...I'll just have to hope for the DVD...

ANd yes, Pink Floyd were great, and really enjoyed Madonna and Sting as well. Geldof's introduction of the African girl before/into Madonna's set was quite a memorable moment. I cried...
:hug:

I was able to see u2's performance on AOL music. I'm really disappointed that MTV or Vh1 did not show their entire set.

I'm so disappointed in today's TV coverage in the states. I'm writing a letter to MTV networks, and I encourage others here to do the same if they feel they got the shaft ( not just with U2 but MANY other artists). I'm really bummed that all I saw of Coldplay today was them playing another bands song!! U2 and coldplay are arguably two of the biggest rock bands in America. Then, to cut Comfortably Numb off like that, was just horrible. They didn't show an ounce of duran duran either on MTV and their set rocked. set list: sunrise, ordinary world, save a prayer, and wild boys.
I have to admit, i was pretty upset at first by the lack of coverage on american tv. not just for myself ( selfish) but the idea that paid advertisements were pre-empting the concert, is so ironic to me. On a day when it's all about conquering extreme poverty around the globe, mtv is making sure their getting their advertiser's money. Can't we put greed aside for ONE DAY?

anyone ragging on that performance of 'One' deserves a swift kick to the balls.

It's the best version of One I've heard in 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom