MERGED-->ALL U2 at Live 8 discussion, complaints, links, sets, etc -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponkine said:
I have to be honest guys, I´m so dissapointed by the predictable used setlist they chosen for this so much special ocassion :sad:

I can´t believe they played Vertigo and Beautiful Day :( I don´t know what´s happening with U2, really.

Many other fans happy. :yes: The problem is with you.

For my fellow 'Mericans. ABC television will be showing bits of LIVE 8 tonight from 8:00-10:00pm Eastern Standard time. I'm a bit peeved that I didn't get to see U2 but I'm sure I'll see them tonigth. And I wouldn't be surprised if a DVD is released.

ponkine said:
I really feel ashamed of U2 now, really. They went with a typical performance for every event they have to attend.
They´ve played those songs countless times before, and I don´t know why the f*** they can´t change !!!!!!!!! If you U2 were a quite unknown band playing for the first time at this event, nobody would pay attention to this band, really. Just compare with that out of body version of Bad at Live Aid 1985.

After that performance, many people became U2 fans, but after this performance... :

Bono sang like s***, he sounded rough and weak, and the setlist was horrible. They spoiled their chance and they sounded tired, weak and boring. The thing most I really hate about their performance was the fact that it sounded and looked just like any other U2 performance from Elevation or Vertigo Tour. Nothing memorable, nothing hystorical, nothing like Live Aid 1985.

The snippet of Blackbird was shameful, as well those screams at the end of Beautiful Day. The band made a noticea ble mistake at the beginig of Vertigo. In the middle part of Vertigo Bono sounded really awful. Overall it was an evening to forget, really.

Anyway, if you still want to have that s*** unforgivable performance, here´s the link

http://savefile.com/filehost/projects.php?pid=646190
omg i really cant belive some people, i hope you dont bother going to any U2 shows ever again, they dont need people like you,

what do you say to the people that thought they played well? like me? i thought it was frickin awsome, so please dont use your opinon, and think everyone else thinks the same

martha said:
:lmao:

A setlist complaint!! :lmao:

Yeah, they should play something obscure for the entire world to go :scratch:

:rolleyes:
lol......as i said i thought what they did fitted the moment, upto now imo they are the best so far today

ponkine said:

Bono sang like s***, he sounded rough and weak, and the setlist was horrible. They spoiled their chance and they sounded tired, weak and boring. The thing most I really hate about their performance was the fact that it sounded and looked just like any other U2 performance from Elevation or Vertigo Tour. Nothing memorable, nothing hystorical, nothing like Live Aid 1985.

The snippet of Blackbird was shameful, as well those screams at the end of Beautiful Day. The band made a noticeable mistake at the beginig of Vertigo. In the middle part of Vertigo Bono sounded really awful. Overall it was an evening to forget, really.

:lol: I think they sounded great. And i quite liked the intro to Vertigo. Ofcourse i would have prefered that they didn´t play Vertigo but its not a U2 concert so who cares.

Oh, and Green Day have been the best band so far :up: IMO

yimou said:

:lol: I think they sounded great. And i quite liked the intro to Vertigo. Ofcourse i would have prefered that they didn´t play Vertigo but its not a U2 concert so who cares.

Oh, and Green Day have been the best band so far :up: IMO
also the crowd peaked during vertigo, and havent reached that level again

i missed the fuckin show cause i woke up an hour late but the live 8 mp3s sounded really good. The band didnt sound sub par at all..

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
also the crowd peaked during vertigo, and havent reached that level again

I dont agree.. Actually i think the crowd seems to be more into the event now than at the start of the show.

martha said:
:lmao:

A setlist complaint!! :lmao:

Yeah, they should play something obscure for the entire world to go :scratch:

:rolleyes:

Indeed, One Step Closer would have come off so well. Especially when you're opening the show. That's also the time when another jump in the audience would have had the right momentum.

:sigh:

am i right in thinking that what happend at the last live aid wasnt even supposed to? if i remember correctly they were meant to go into pride right? so if that would have happend then it would have been 2 new song (pride and bad), and one older song (SBS), so really i dont know what the hell ponkine is talking about "doing something different" if they would have kept it to the original setlist at live aid, then what would have been different? would have been pretty much the same 2 newer songs, and 1 older song, but in todays care the newer songs were BD, and vertigo, with one being the older song

if that makes sense

No no no nooooooo Dont phunk with my heart :madspit:

Dont phunk with my ears

I don't why they can't just show the whole thing like they did back in 1985. It's not like anyone gives a crap about VH1 and MTV's regularly scheudled programming these days - anyone with an ounce of brains, anyway.

(Edited to add, Whoa! The Marleys are performing Get Up, Stand Up with the Black Eyed Peas! I can't believe how much Ziggy looks like his dad. Is that older woman Rita Marley??)

Last edited:
I know, I wish they'd show U2's performances in their entirety, too! Perhaps the thing on ABC tonight will do that. That'd be nice. And if not, well, there's always the DVD that I don't doubt will be coming out. But I still would've like to see the whole thing.

Also, I don't know what ponkine is talking about, either...I thought U2 sounded fantastic on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and the clip they showed of U2 doing "Vertigo" sounded pretty good, too.

As for the Black Eyed Peas...I thought their version of "Get Up, Stand Up" was pretty good.

Green Day's on now...they're doing pretty good, too. My dad's watching this now, he's amazed at how many people are there.

Angela

Keane is playing in London now,, It sounds pretty good

Wasn't bad. Wasn't anything amazing though, was pretty much what i expected which is a shame cos i want U2 to surprise me sometimes :(

I LOVED U2's performance with Paul McCartney as I thought it was awesome!!!! Also Im disappointed that mtv and vh1 have focused so much on the Philly show. :madspit: . They could have least showed one song performance by U2! All I have seen are snippets of them :sad: .

steak said:
Wasn't bad. Wasn't anything amazing though, was pretty much what i expected which is a shame cos i want U2 to surprise me sometimes :(
eh? it was a benefit concert for gods sake, as has already been said why would they play something that no one apart from there fans has heard? people would just stand there thinking "erm whats this then", i mean you even see it U2 shows, when they play electric co or whatever people look confused,

try focusing on the performance rather than what was played, they were great today, bono was grinning like a cat the whole way through, specially during unchained melody

It was a good performance. Although they set the bar very high with their first live aid performance. I would also say the super bowl half time was better than this, but it was very good overall.

From what I saw they did a pretty good performance. Imagine they are trying to save some energy though since they are still doing a tour. Hence the way that they left as soon as their set was over.

Back
Top Bottom