MERGED--> ALL SLANE Discussion goes here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
U2's Beautiful Day - CBS.com: Slane Concert Page

Just further confirmation of the November 29th Slane Special in America on CBS.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/movies_specials/mas_u2_beautiful_day.shtml

I thought some of the comments on the page were worth noting:

MOVIE SYNOPSIS
Don't miss "U2's Beautiful Day" concert taped at Slane Castle in Ireland - the site of U2's first concert! The special will feature the band performing their greatest hits.

This is hilarious!

STARRING
Bono
Adam Clayton
The Edge
Larry Mullen, Jr.

This is awesome!

Chris

Last edited:
SkeeK said:
The site of the band's first concert, eh?

This is an even more extraordinary event, considering the band formed in 1978, and it took them 23 years to play their first show, and in front of 80,000 people. The anticipation of waiting all those years must have been overwhelming. Good things come to them that wait.

Chris

Last edited:
Gonna have to dig out the VCR from the junk drawer to tape this. Can't wait. I talked to some people who saw Slane at the movie theatre here in Winnipeg and they said it is awesome. WOW.

Do they still sell blank VHS tapes?

OMG Slane.....OMG!!!!

OMG you US fans have got a treat coming....

I just saw Slane.....oh dear god I wish I had persued the tickets I could have had and spent all the money I could have spent......

The most amazing thing I think I have ever seen.

Even my mum walked in and stayed (the only music my mum recognises is really famous beatles stuff....and she walked in to the room and said 'oh look at the Edge - he looks really cool!')

I was like.....'Wow!' You know his name!!!!'

Sunday Bloody Sunday blew my mind. the whole moment where Bono lists the Omagh victim's names, and the words he uses....(can't remember his exact words right now as it's 2 am and I'd had a few drinks....)

Wooooooooo hooooooooooooo!

Yeah man!!!

(mods...merge this with other Slane threads if need be.....:wave: )

All I can say is.......Yay!!!!

I just wish that my video recorded hadn't f***ed up and recorded a few minutes of motor racing instead of the U2 voxpops.......:mad:

Bono saying 'have I got time for a piss?' :lmao:

Yay!!!!

Lu
:wave:

Re: OMG Slane.....OMG!!!!

I can't wait to see this. Thanks for the review!

Nov. 29 can't come fast enough

bammo2 said:
OMG you US fans have got a treat coming....

I just saw Slane.....oh dear god I wish I had persued the tickets I could have had and spent all the money I could have spent......

The most amazing thing I think I have ever seen.

Even my mum walked in and stayed (the only music my mum recognises is really famous beatles stuff....and she walked in to the room and said 'oh look at the Edge - he looks really cool!')

I was like.....'Wow!' You know his name!!!!'

Sunday Bloody Sunday blew my mind. the whole moment where Bono lists the Omagh victim's names, and the words he uses....(can't remember his exact words right now as it's 2 am and I'd had a few drinks....)

Wooooooooo hooooooooooooo!

Yeah man!!!

(mods...merge this with other Slane threads if need be.....:wave: )

All I can say is.......Yay!!!!

I just wish that my video recorded hadn't f***ed up and recorded a few minutes of motor racing instead of the U2 voxpops.......:mad:

Bono saying 'have I got time for a piss?' :lmao:

Yay!!!!

Lu
:wave:

I couldn't have put it better myself Lu!!

What was with the different picture formats on different cameras? It wasn't so bad towards the end but near the beginning it was forever switching between widescreen and a fullscreen presentation.

Top notch sound!

B:censored:y adverts!! Sorry, had to be the first to say it! And the Channel 4 announcer at the end, AND the squishing of the picture during the credits while the band were still walking off stage!

Makes me wish my brother had gotten me tickets to Slane now but I'll settle for having been near the point of the heart on 21-08-01 with the barrier pushing up into my ribs!! :yes:

Not sure what another U2 concert will be like in comparison should I ever get to go to another?! :(

In the slim chance he ever reads this....thanks for the show Bono! :love: :bow: :D

Watching Slane on the telly then had me welling up just reflecting on the Earls Court gig. :sad: And this was fourteen months ago!

How I would have loved to have seen Kite @ Slane tonight. :sexywink:

Regards, Alan

Saw it on Irish TV last week, watched it again tonight though, and have it taped and gonna watch it many more times, I even saw myself a few times!!:D This BETTER be on DVD!!! Ahhhh the memories......

You guys think those 9 songs are good, you should see the whole show:drool:

I've got a gripe with that fecker Hamish whatever director dude. He makes exactly the same mistakes that he did on the Boston DVD, too many camera angle changes, and NOT SHOWING THE FRONT OF STAGE VIEW FOR THE START OF STREETS!!! That drove me nuts with Boston, same thing for Slane. I mean that was my favourite part of Popmart and R&H, when the lights go BANG!
Still, not a chance it was taking much off the pogo field of 90,000 crazy paddies!!!!!:tongue: Beautiful indeed.......

spanisheyes said:

This is an even more extraordinary event, considering the band formed in 1978, and it took them 23 years to play their first show, and in front of 80,000 people. The anticipation of waiting all those years must have been overwhelming. Good things come to them that wait.

Chris

Actually, I think what they mean by that is that Slane Castle is the site where U2 played their first concert, not that this particular concert is their first.

They're still wrong though :lol:. I'm quite positive U2 played a concert before their first Slane Castle concert however long ago that was.

It was back in August of 1981 supporting Thin Lizzy. U2s first actual concert as the band Feedback was in the fall of 1976 at a Mount Temple talent show. First known show with the name U2 was on March 17, 1978 at the Limerick talent show sponsered by Harp Lager and CBS Ireland records.

Slane wipes its arse with Boston

Watching that just makes me realise how crap the boston DVD is. Well not really. Boston DVD is good, and has wicked versions of Bullet, the Fly + Beautiful Day, but it has to be said, Slane is 1000000 times better.

The songs we got were:

1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Stuck in a Moment
Bit of Bono Talking
4. Out of Control
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bit of Bono talking with All I Want is you in the background
6. Where the Streets Have no Name
7. Pride (in the name of Love)
8. One
9. Walk On

In beautiful Day, At the end, Bono sang "Beautiful Goal!" which I think was a reference to the Football match which had been broadcast on the screen earlier in the day

Stuck in a Moment was actually ok. It was a much better mixing job then in Boston, which is really what the song is entirely dependant on.

Out of Control was very cool. At the beginning, BOno said "This is our first single, we hope you like it." Then half way through, in the quite bit, Bono thanked all the the band member's families for giving them 500 pounds towards renting a studio in London. He said that the audience were his tribe.

Sunday Bloody Sunday was the best. SO much better than Boston. In the middle, before he did "no more" he was singing something (can't remember exactly) about the omagh bombing, and turning this song into a prayer. And the no more. In the harmonic bit next, there was a mistake (I think from the Edge), but in their attempt to cover it up, it actually sounded better. At the end Bono started reading the names of the victims of the Omagh bombing (I think) then he said "29 people, too many!" Very very powerful.

Where the Streets have no name - good not great. Better than Boston.

I was really glad that we got Pride and One, what with them stupidly being left off the DVD. Pride was great, as always. One was sweet. On Walk On - well, what can I say? There was a problem with Bono's guitar half way through, and his technician had to take it away and fix it - funny thing is, I didn't notice ANY difference. Quite funny.

Larry Mullen, I couldn't quite tell, but I think he was crying for like the whole second half. It was very moving. + sweet!

My only minor grumble is with the audience. I was expecting 80000 pissed Irishmen + women completely losing it. It just seemed a bit tame. No-one really went nuts in Out of Control like they did when I saw them. And when they played Pride, and Bono tried to get the audiance to sing, he wasn't really getting much out of them. It really felt he was trying hard to get them to sing, particularly in Edge's solo, when he tries to do that audiance participation bit

Still lush tho. Loved every second of it. Except the adverts.

U2SJ said:
And only 21 more days, Chris! I can't wait!!!
:hyper::hyper::hyper:

I can imagine Marisa, actually, I've seen you that excited at U2 shows, so I know...yeah, it will be great, and I will tape it, but only if the DVD never comes out, but I'm feeling pretty confident in our band that they will release it. Probably a few months after the initial showings on television, so as not to flood the market with too much U2, which in the minds of many could never be too much...okay, I'm rambling, sorry.:yes:

Chris

Re: Slane wipes its arse with Boston

NShaik said:
My only minor grumble is with the audience. I was expecting 80000 pissed Irishmen + women completely losing it. It just seemed a bit tame. No-one really went nuts in Out of Control like they did when I saw them. And when they played Pride, and Bono tried to get the audiance to sing, he wasn't really getting much out of them. It really felt he was trying hard to get them to sing, particularly in Edge's solo, when he tries to do that audiance participation bit

Still lush tho. Loved every second of it. Except the adverts.

The same comment regarding audience participation was said of the Boston DVD. I think the version that U2 tapes and shares with us can't have the same feel for audience participation because it's taken from the sound board and the audience is heard lightly in the background. That is going to sound a lot different than it does to be in the crowd listening to the same thing. So I think the people are rocking but you just can't tell as clearly. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I can't wait to see Slane!

I'd forgotten about the SLANE video/DVD

that would be far more precious to me than the Boston concert. Hoew did I forget that is available...too focussed on Boston.
SLANE now you're cooking!!
location location location
Thanks for the idea Nshaik

I agree with you Spanisheyes about U2 not wanting to ?flood the market.? Also ? wouldn?t it be great if the Boston DVD wins the Grammy in February for Best Long Form Music Video or whatever it?s called and then the next week U2 releases the Slane DVD. And we go into music stores and see a display stand with the ?Grammy Winner? Boston DVD and ?U2?s New Concert DVD ? Live From Slane Castle? ! I was able to see the Slane special at an IMAX theater on Nov. 4th and it was incredible !

U2Soar said:
I agree with you Spanisheyes about U2 not wanting to ?flood the market.? Also ? wouldn?t it be great if the Boston DVD wins the Grammy in February for Best Long Form Music Video or whatever it?s called and then the next week U2 releases the Slane DVD. And we go into music stores and see a display stand with the ?Grammy Winner? Boston DVD and ?U2?s New Concert DVD ? Live From Slane Castle? ! I was able to see the Slane special at an IMAX theater on Nov. 4th and it was incredible !

Yeah U2Soar...I can see everything you said coming true. That would be the most awesome scenario that could happen. I can only imagine what Slane at the IMAX theater looked like...that is awesome that you were able to experience it at that size and hopefully with an incredible sound system at work. I'll have to keep an eye out for it being shown at IMAX theaters near me.

Chris

n shaik, i was there
and i have been to MANY MANY concerts in my lifetime..that was one of the best and wildest audiences ive ever been a part of.
the crowd did go crazy many times. i have the bruises still to prove it.
what shows up on camera, isnt always what it is.

oh and u missed out on the best part..i can't believe they didnt show A Sort of Homecoming...thats just the biggest mistake so far!

Are COuntries other than the UK/Ireland and the US getting Slane?

I dont get it.
Did you guys just get it on normal free to air tv?
I know Ireland sees Slane every year, but America doesn't do they?
There's absolutely no word of it here and I doubt we'll get it.
Are other countries getting it?

*sniff*

its not a dvd yet lbb
this is just a show that they have shown on free to air tv in very lucky countries.
bono said they don't know if it will become a dvd in the webchat last week.
everyone sign that silly petition!

Back
Top Bottom