MERGED--> All New Prop/U2.com Membership Discussion here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one who thinks that $40 is a lot of money? Especially if it's not REALLY clear what you're getting... It's all a bit too vague for me. 'A free welcome gift' --> could be something brilliant, but it could also be a U2 pen or something. The same goes for the downloads. How many? What exactly? etc.

Dutch Partygirl said:
Am I the only one who thinks that $40 is a lot of money?

Seriously...I'm going to be signing the membership application in my own blood because these boys are bleeding me dry these days.... :huh:

But I'm not about to be screwed outta priority tickets....so what choice to I have? But ya, know I don't think it's a good decision to target the hardcore fans specifically like this....

Does anyone know when we can get to sign up?

So we're talking $40 in euros, right?
that translates to $52.14 usd.
$66.39 aud.
That's a lot of money.
Seriously. :|
I'd better get some seats right up under Bono's nose for that...

I know this a silly absurd question but are they going bankrupt or something? I mean, I love them and all but I hope the stock is worth the investment. . .and no doubt it splits and doubles.

actually 40 USD is less than other bands charge for fan clubs - I believe that the Sting fan club was around 60 dollars (which I couldn't justify) when his tour started
but yes I feel the money pinch right now- but then again I don't have to buy everything I'm buying but hey it only happens every 3-4 years why not live it up a bit:) (otherwise known as hello overtime)

That may be the problem. The tours are only happening every four years or so. I liked getting a magazine I could read in bed, but 40 bucks to sit in front of a computer and ruin my eyesight? Hell, this place'll do for free!

And every four years I'll have a chance to get semi-decent seats? $160 for a few tickets every four years for a band that's a few years older than me? $160 plus the outrageous price of the tickets? :tsk:

And, one more time, U2.com sucks too much for me to shell out the price of three new cds.

(I posted this with the original article but maybe I'll get an answer here:)

I can't remember how many issues you were garanteed, was it 3 or 4? oh and is the $20 offer available to any subscriber of Prop or just to those who have outstanding issues?

if the tickets i have gotten from propaganda in the past (ga for elevation, and first 5 rows reserved before that) are any indication of what the priority tickets will be like, i think $20-40 is well worth it.

I still trust U2's integrity, honesty, and decency, and until they give me reason to think otherwise, I'm willing to spend that money.

Before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not saying that people who aren't willing don't trust that.

Ticket prices in North America this tour since its going to be in Arena's will be at a minimum, list price without service charges:

50$ for General Admission

95$ for regular seats

145$ for Golden Circle

The 40$ price you pay to be apart of Propaganda/U2.com will give you the opportunity to get General Admission. On the last tour it was nearly impossible to get General Admission for shows in big cities unless you got tickets through propaganda.

So for example, if one was going to two shows in Philadelphia, most will probably be paying 190$(2 regular seats at 95$) plus service charges if they do not sign up for the new propaganda.

But if they payed the 40$ for propaganda/U2.com and recieve general admission seats for the two shows, their total comes out to 140$ plus service charges. In this case, propaganda has saved you 50$ because it has allowed to get the cheap GA tickets through their priority service.

Everyone on the last tour I knew who had propaganda and wanted GA, got it. I was not a member of propaganda and tried hard to get GA through the normal outlets and was unable to. I had to go to a scalper to actually get one.

So when one looks at it in this light, the 40$ being charged by Propaganda/U2.com is not a bad deal at all. The way to save money is to get those GA tickets and the best way to get them is to be signed up with Propaganda.

The above ticket prices by the way are 2001 Elevation ticket prices adjusted for inflation.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care at all what they want me to pay so long as I can get tickets through them. I don't get to follow the band around the world, so I need top of the line (GA) tickets on the occasions where I do get to see them and $40 is nothing for getting GAs to a couple of shows.

My Prop subscription ran out after the last tour. Wonder when, where, how we're suppose to subscribe to the new deal? I think it's worth the money to be guaranteed a few great tix, but I wouldn't renew the subscription when they weren't touring for the other stuff they offer.

The slowness of Prop issues made that $20 subscription last a looong time. This would be an annual fee taken right from your credit card no doubt. You'd have to cancel and renew...in time for the next tour.

Last edited:
Who do I have to bribe to get in?:hyper:

I've been getting tix through Prop since the JT tour...all of which have been reserved seating, except the last tour. The seats have been great (on the floor and within the first few rows), but just because you have a seat doesn't mean you have to sit or can't move around and get closer. You can get up front if you want. No GA isn't necessarily the end of the world...but it will mean more expensive tix.:(

I gotta say this sounds pretty weak. Propaganda cost about $7 a year, based on how often the magazines came out, and we got physical magazines to read and keep. The new entity costs $40 bucks a year and we get some glorified email newsletter? I don't want to read more stuff online. I'd much rather get something physical, something real. With Propaganda, we got CDs that were exclusives. Now, we get exclusive downloads. Um, I get the feeling that they'll either be just for I-Pods or some live recording of Streets from the Netherlands from 10 years ago. But hell, either way, they're pretty worthless unless you've got some form of high-speed internet. When it comes to downloads, dial-up users (the vast majority of internet users) get kinda screwed. As for the free gift, I wouldn't be suprised if it's more leftover Pop cubes. The U2.com store was a complete pain in the ass to deal with the last time I ordered, so I'm not to excited about the coupon. I don't want to spend $50 a month on crappy phone service so the cell phone thing is worthless to me. And if they're looking to do everything online from here on out, the advanced ticket sales will turn to crap. The online advanced sale for the last tour was a joke. I was using three computers with fiber optic connections and wasn't able to log in until everything was already sold out.
Between this new developement and them selling 25 new songs for $450 bucks minimum through the I-Pod deal ($300 for a new, basic I-Pod and $150 for the complete U2 which includes the songs), U2 seem to be catering more and more to people with deep pockets and high-end computers and fast internet connections. Woe betide those who don't even use the internet.
Unfortunately, I'm such a candy-ass that I'll be first in line to sign up with the new fan club. However, short of giving us all free tickets to shows or having Larry give us foot massages, $40 a year is a total rip-off, especially considering what they've charged for what they've given in the past.

Last edited:
$40 is an absolute bargain if it truly means getting great seats to the shows. Heck think of all the other junk we all waste $40 on every year....plus 25% off the first order from u2.com?? I guess I'll be ordering those lithographs after all:)

Has anyone in the US received this letter? I was a propaganda subscriber.......I can't remember if I received 4 issues....I never received any notice that my subscription expired. Is there any way to find out? Agh I'll be pissed if I have to pay the $40 instead of $20.

I am also a Prop subscriber and I was supposed to get one last issue ( I think like the rest of us? ) but never got it. I really hope I get this 'letter'. :|

And um yeah $40 is a complete rip off.. in my opinion. The free gift better be something good for that much money!

Knuckle said:
We were offered, and I quote exactly, "a very limited number of Golden Circle seats" priced at $135. I shelled out the $135 thinking surely these would somehow be better than the $50 floor tickets. Suffice it to say that as we took our seats in the arena, in the last row, of the first level, half the distance to the back of the arena, I hardly felt that I was in any kind of exclusive club or "golden circle". That was in Philadelphia.

Even worse were the "golden circle" seats at Madison Square Garden in NYC (second level as far back in the arena as we could be). I swear, after that, I was ready to call the Department of Consumer Protection or something on Prop.

To be fair, "golden circle" is not a term that Prop came up with. It is the standard term for the lower-level seats. They were just using the term that is standard. They also did show where the seats were in different areas.
However, I'm still totally with you on this current Prop development. It seems like they're giving us less that's real and charging us a hell of a lot more.

STING2 said:
Everyone on the last tour I knew who had propaganda and wanted GA, got it. I was not a member of propaganda and tried hard to get GA through the normal outlets and was unable to. I had to go to a scalper to actually get one.

So when one looks at it in this light, the 40$ being charged by Propaganda/U2.com is not a bad deal at all. The way to save money is to get those GA tickets and the best way to get them is to be signed up with Propaganda.

The above ticket prices by the way are 2001 Elevation ticket prices adjusted for inflation.

Ah, but that was through the mail, through a physical form from Prop. Did you try to get in on the advance ticket sale through U2.com itself? That was complete garbage. I've yet to find someone who actually was able to get logged in in time to get a ticket. I have a lot more faith in a physical piece of paper sent by mail than the vague hope that the website might let me log in this time to find a ticket.

plot180 said:

Ah, but that was through the mail, through a physical form from Prop. Did you try to get in on the advance ticket sale through U2.com itself? That was complete garbage. I've yet to find someone who actually was able to get logged in in time to get a ticket. I have a lot more faith in a physical piece of paper sent by mail than the vague hope that the website might let me log in this time to find a ticket.

I got into the U2.com presale last time and my tickets were not the greatest but not that bad either and how could i complain when it was free as opposed to Propaganda which costs money. This time i'm gonna join the u2.com fan club because if i pay $40 i'm sure i will be entitled to 2 tickets and hopefully will be better than what i got last time but if they are the same or worse then you're right that this is a rip off. Actually the more i think about it it seems the free presale we got last time is this $40 dollar thing + all the 'gift' and e-mail newsletters of course which doesn't seem to cool.

Last edited:
I don't think what they're offering is a pre-sale like in 2001. I'm thinking it will be comparable to what propaganda did except via the internet.

I don't think they can charge $40 and not guarantee you at least 2 good tickets.

Back
Top Bottom