MERGED--> ALL Miracle Drug Discussion + Edge Vocal on Miracle Drug??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a great song but in my opinion it's not as good or better than Bad. Almost as good though, I think they already have so many new songs to play live that they can get away with not playing Bad (plus they can also play Fast Cars, Electrical Storm and Hands The That Built America).

I can't wait to hear this song in concert, in my opinion it is a masterpiece and is the best song they have done since One/Until the End of the World. That's right I said it.

Well, I am pretty certain that they will drop Bad this tour. It was on rotation status last tour, anyhow(along with AIWIY). Brings up the question though, what other former setlist mainstays will be dropped. Amazing to me, but they could be able to play 7 or 8 of the new songs on this next tour, no problem, and still keep most of us satisfied. The set list will be heavily debated from this point forward...

Probably also drop...Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, Walk On, Gone, Kite...

:hmm: :dance:

the band could really discard all of their pre zooropa era songs and still have a pretty good set list

bcrt2000 said:
the band could really discard all of their pre zooropa era songs and still have a pretty good set list

I don't think Streets is going anywhere...

LAPOE is the new Fly...just listen to that ending...
where is the love
where is the love

I know this is probably asking too much of the old men, but since they have completely blown my mind with this album I will say it.

I would really like to see them do a very diverse set list playing a lot of old tunes that don't get rolled out much.

YES I WANT THEM TO PANDER TO THEIR MOST DEDICATED FANS.

There is said it ....

Dalton said:
I would really like to see them do a very diverse set list playing a lot of old tunes that don't get rolled out much.

LOL. We say that EVERY time...

Acoustic Desire needs to go (many replacement options here...OOTS for example)
Wish they would bring back RTSS but they are chalk full of epic mellow already.

Paul Vox said:
Well, I am pretty certain that they will drop Bad this tour. It was on rotation status last tour, anyhow(along with AIWIY).

Actually, that's somewhat errant. Bad has been played on every single tour since its debut at the start of the first European leg of the UF Tour in 1984. It was cut from the last leg of ZooTV (the Australasian leg) and was not played for most of Popmart until the final Rest of the World leg. True, it did rotate with AIWIY on Elevation, but by the end of the third leg, it was dominating rotation. AIWIY wasn't played that many times on the third leg and the rotation was dying down in favour of Bad's retention.

I don't know how wise it is to talk about one song 'replacing' another. Songs don't replace each other. It's wholly dependent upon what songs suit the setlist. Sure, COBL could replace Bad, but that could totally destroy the flow if Bullet is exploding out of Bad like it did on ZooTV. Songs will be selected for their suitability to the sonic and thematic flow of the show and they won't be selected to replace anything. If Bad doesn't make it, it's not because COBL or any other song replaced it, but because it simply did not fit.

Last edited:
eck - merging the edge or not with general miracle drug comments is bugging me. I was really tracking that thread, now its a big feckin mess!

Ok. Maybe it is Edge. ;)

No, the bridge verse is so Bono. Listen to the way he says "medicine". Only Bono has that bump in his cadence on words like that. Edge doesn't have the fullness in his voice like that either. And the "you took me in" couldn't be more Bono.

I think they purposely muffled Bono's voice in this verse to give it the "beneath the din" quality.

It's Bono.:bono:

I think I can settle the Edge debate.

Take another look at the album credits. I'll quote part of the credits from Miracle Drug: "additional vocal by The Edge, Backing vocal by Bono and Larry Mullen". Notice is says ADDITONAL vocal, not backing vocal.

So YES, that is Edge from 3:00-3:15. :wink:

Phi said:
Hold up! Where do you get to see the album credits????

They have been on the internet for a while, I think. Someone posted a link to the lyrics and I cut and paste them to my computer. The album credits were included in the file I downloaded.

regarding the song. I've only heard it once...but on first listen this song made me cry. I haven't cried to music in a long time. If this and the five other tracks(counting vertigo) are representative of the whole album....man...!

popsadie said:
regarding the song. I've only heard it once...but on first listen this song made me cry. I haven't cried to music in a long time. If this and the five other tracks(counting vertigo) are representative of the whole album....man...!

wait til you hear 'sometimes you can't make it...'. 'miracle drug' had me misty-eyed, but 'sometimes' is so powerful, it had me in tears. amazing, amazing songs.

MD is a truly classic song.
Nothing get close to One but they have 2 on this album that gets 1 step from the top rung.

Edge Vocal on Miracle Drug??

Hey all,

Is it just my ears? In Miracle Drug that spoken portion that includes 'Beneath....In science and in medicine....I was a stranger, you took me in, ...." (around the 3 min mark) sounds like Edge after many listens.

If it is, good vocal...

Which may lend some credence to the fact that this may still be unfinished and Edge filled in a Vocal to complete the "draft" of the song.

Thoughts??

It is Edge.

But I don't think he was filling in. I think that's his part of the song to sing. I think when they perform it live, he'll sing that part.

I'm pretty sure it's Edge. I don't think the song is unfinished though, I think Bono just wanted to let Edge step up to the mic for a bit :) Edge is a wonderful singer in his own right, much as I love Bono I get excited when I hear Edge sing, 'cause he doesn't do it as much :p

Well bust my britches, I think yer right! Nice catch! Knowing that adds depth to the song.

It's The Edge. I just commented in another thread too that he's also doing the "aww, no...aww, no" part at the end of Original of the Species.

:up:

Best part of the album for me.

Awesome guitar work by Edge -> Superb Edge vocal, then back to Bono "The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile..." Shame the song ends so soon after that.

KevLW said:
Best part of the album for me.

Awesome guitar work by Edge -> Superb Edge vocal, then back to Bono "The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile..." Shame the song ends so soon after that.

agreed, it provides a nice contrast...I bet the song will be extended live ;) I hope so, cuz that would be boss

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom