MERGED--> ALL Miracle Drug Discussion + Edge Vocal on Miracle Drug??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's this album's walk on and thats class, very good song though no where near oots, lpoe, vertigo, colby or aboy, such an album.

It's a GUITAR on the beginning of MD, not a keyboard

or piano.

Many ppl are thinking its a piano or keyboard but its a guitar...

Theres keyboard/piano on the song, but that main riff is guitar.

"After a simple piano intro (similar in style to a number of the album's songs openings), bass and drum kick in mercilessly,
like 'With Or Without You' on speed."

Re: Are you really really sure that's Edge on MD?

U2_Guy said:
I do not think it's him.

What makes you think its him?

MD makes me cry...

Why is it so hard to keep this in one thread? http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1841828#post1841828

What makes me think so? I heared it once and I thought I recognized the voice from Van Diemen's Land.
Secondly...
2. Miracle Drug (3:53)
Lyrics by Bono, Produced by Steve Lillywhite, Additional production by Carl Glanville and Jacknife Lee, Piano and additional vocal by The Edge, Backing vocal by Bono and Larry Mullen, Synthesizers and Programming by Jacknife Lee

But then again I could be wrong. :)

Re: Re: Are you really really sure that's Edge on MD?

markoajda said:

Why is it so hard to keep this in one thread? http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1841828#post1841828

What makes me think so? I heared it once and I thought I recognized the voice from Van Diemen's Land.
Secondly...
2. Miracle Drug (3:53)
Lyrics by Bono, Produced by Steve Lillywhite, Additional production by Carl Glanville and Jacknife Lee, Piano and additional vocal by The Edge, Backing vocal by Bono and Larry Mullen, Synthesizers and Programming by Jacknife Lee

But then again I could be wrong. :)

I hope you are not upset cause there really isnt any reasons for that.

Thanks for the technical info.

U2girl said:
:) Ja čestitam, kot pri Vertigu mp3 si bil spet prvi.

(ampak jest vztrajam in ne bom še poslušala...je itak samo še dva tedna)

Vsaka ti čast:wink:
Markoajda tebi pa še enkrat hvala:bow:

I have a confession to make: I got tears while listening to this song. The lyrics and music are perfect. The story behind this song is so touching and every sentence in this song is spot on!

Pre-leak, I thought MD was going to be my favorite song. I loved the melody as well as the slidge guitar solo from the beach sessions. Now, that I've listened to clear version, it sounds unfinished to me. There's the "loooovvvee" after "reason is on our side." Also, there's not that leap from the verses into the chorus. The chorus just sort of just gets there without the usual U2 grandness.

Does anybody know if this leak is final version of the album or is it Edge's almost finished copy?

Either way, it's still a great song. The slide guitar solo is heartbreaking and then it hits a blistering outro into Bono's final verses. That's classic stuff. :drool:

I'm afraid it's not going to be my favorite track though. :(

Nobody mentioned a great riff by Edge. That's incredible. I have shivers every time I listen to the intro of MD. The amazingly melodical and simple riff that has immense impact (it reminds me of "Bad", exactly what Edge's riff did for that song). The Edge did it again.

Last edited:
Tip Top Prince said:
Anyone notice the baseline in the verse is identical to the baseline in WOWY.

Not a bad heritage. :)

in notes:
D-A-B-G
8 times each one?

Is that edge singing in Miracle Drug??

Call me crazy, but I am pretty certain that Edge is singing the verse before the final chorus in Miracle Drug, the part that begins at about the 3 minute mark. If you listen closely to the vocal it is very airy, and pure. A lot different from the raspy Bono vocal throughout the song. I don't know for certain because they often sound a lot alike, but the more I hear it the more I think it's the edge. Does anyone have any concrete info from the liner notes?? I'd really love to know.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. I am really loving the album. Perhaps the bands finest work and definitely the finest since Achtung Baby. But, is anyone else noticing a lot of references to romance?? That is kinda new for Bono. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
Nope that's Bono, I admit it does have a Edge sound to it, but it is Bono all the way through, he sounds really young there.

Lo-Fi said:
Nope that's Bono, I admit it does have a Edge sound to it, but it is Bono all the way through, he sounds really young there.

You're kidding, right? The verse after the solo is absolutely The Edge. If you listen through headphones, you can tell it's distinctly him.

Re: Is that edge singing in Miracle Drug??

pop_mofo said:
Call me crazy, but I am pretty certain that Edge is singing the verse before the final chorus in Miracle Drug, the part that begins at about the 3 minute mark. If you listen closely to the vocal it is very airy, and pure. A lot different from the raspy Bono vocal throughout the song. I don't know for certain because they often sound a lot alike, but the more I hear it the more I think it's the edge. Does anyone have any concrete info from the liner notes?? I'd really love to know.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. I am really loving the album. Perhaps the bands finest work and definitely the finest since Achtung Baby. But, is anyone else noticing a lot of references to romance?? That is kinda new for Bono. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Find all your answers here. http://forum.interference.com/t101510.html You opened the exact same topic here so find all your answers there.

Totally disagree with you, it's Bono! It makes no sense for him to sing a few lines then go back into Bono singing. What does it matter anyway. It's great!

yeah, i'm positive that that is bono singing that part. sounds amazing all thru that song. The line where he sings "God i need you here tonight" he sounds just like the JT era!!

you can tell it's bono because the ends of the phrases doesn't make use of edge's patented vibrato. for example, if you listen to the very end of original of the species where bono and edge sing together, you hear edge's unique vibrato. here there's none of that. besides it really doesn't make sense for edge to suddenly sing two lines.

blindinglights said:
you can tell it's bono because the ends of the phrases doesn't make use of edge's patented vibrato. for example, if you listen to the very end of original of the species where bono and edge sing together, you hear edge's unique vibrato. here there's none of that. besides it really doesn't make sense for edge to suddenly sing two lines.

Buddy - it's Edge! Check the accent on "medicine" and "took me in". Bono ain't Welsh/English/Irish.:eyebrow:

And when Bono leaps back in right after it is very apparent.

And he is credited with both backing vocals AND additional vocal.

It is so similar than on first listen you mistake it for Bono (esp on crappy computer speakers) but once I burned the high qual MP3s and put it up loud - it's obvious. I agree with Axver - once you "hear" it as Edge you just know.

Who cares why they did it? I for one love to hear Edge singing. It's all good. :wink:

Well i think its the edge singing during last verse before the chorus as the credits on the lyrics that someone posted on Saturday(can't remember who posted them thou) states

"2. Miracle Drug (3:53)

Back
Top Bottom