MERGED--> ALL I-TUNES/I-POD VERTIGO COMMERCIAL DISCUSSION HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay thanks gorman, couldn't it be the people thats dancing in the video that they were shooting and not U2? hm... maybe not.. :) I voted for that the footage was from the spain videoshoot.. guess i was wrong. I'm lucky that i don't have to buy that Maroon 5 cd...

edit: how many errors can one do in a post (3rd edit...)

Last edited:
it aired here in canada last night (on an american network, of course). it was on right after scrubs. zach braff, and then bono... it was a good night. i wasn't expecting to see the u2 commercial at that moment, so i was dancing around like an idiot. unexpected u2 is the best.

:combust:

my two cents' worth: this isn't a sell out, it's all about the music. and it's the best commercial on the airwaves. more u2 is never enough.

Mark Romanek is tremendously talented. He did the video for Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." U2 should get him to do a video for "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own."

radioskugga said:
okay thanks gorman, couldn't it be the people thats dancing in the video that they were shooting and not U2? hm... maybe not.. :) I voted for that the footage was from the spain videoshoot.. guess i was wrong. I'm lucky that i don't have to buy that Maroon 5 cd...

edit: how many errors can one do in a post (3rd edit...)

Nah, based upon the article, it seems fairly clear that none of it was shot in Spain, since the shoot was "shrouded in secrecy".

dandy said:
it aired here in canada last night (on an american network, of course). it was on right after scrubs. zach braff, and then bono... it was a good night. i wasn't expecting to see the u2 commercial at that moment, so i was dancing around like an idiot. unexpected u2 is the best.

:combust:

my two cents' worth: this isn't a sell out, it's all about the music. and it's the best commercial on the airwaves. more u2 is never enough.

How hilarious was the crane bit? :)

From mvwire.com

Director Mark Romanek Completes "Vertigo by U2" Spot For Apple

Mark Romanek has just completed "vertigo by U2" a new spot for apple ipod and itunes. the shooting for twba/chiat/day took place on september 18th and 19th at a west london soundstage and was—until its release this morning—shrouded in secrecy.

"Vertigo by U2" was produced by line postmyr. the director of photgraphy was Alwin Küchler. The editor was Glenn Martin for Nomad editorial. The production designer was Darrell Cooke and the stylist was Mrs. Jones. The executive producer for Anonymous Content was Lisa Margulis.

You can now see the 30-second second version at apple.com. an extended 2-minute version can be seen only in the itunes music store.

http://musicvideowire.com/dynamic/article_view.asp?AID=10882

Just to clarify, the commercial was shot at a London Studio according to U2eastlink.com. It was shot September 18th and 19th.

So the footage used in the spot IS NOT from the Spain shoot.

artdirector

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i love larry's tossin' of the drum sticks in the extended version... very who of him

ipod_l4.gif

:wink:

By the way whos you favourite dancer in the ad? I love the babe with the afro! very funky maaaaan! see how she counts with her fingers during the uno,dos.. bit? :)

dandy said:

I saw the ad after Scrubs too (a great show). I wasn't dancing around though. Maybe next time.

:wink:

back to number 1??? Is the ad getting that much airplay that it would make such an significant difference?

It doesn;t take much to change the iTunes charts. A few hundred sales of a single can move it from #5 to #1.

In terms of audience, about 13 Million people were watching the Red Sox/Yankees game yesterday where the ad was shown twice. Plus it aired on MTV, VH1, WB & NBC shows.

That is alot of people. The total radio audience for Vertigo last week in the US (cumalative for all plays) was about 40 Million.

So in 1 night of ads more people were probably exposed to Vertigo than the entire last week on the radio.

Now I wonder how many people will be calling their local Top 40 station asking to hear "that cool song on the iPod ad during the Yankees game"? and DJ's having egg on their face b/c they don't have it. Wake up, Clear Channel minions! The U2 audience is crashing the party! You'd better start playing this quick!

Teta040 said:
Now I wonder how many people will be calling their local Top 40 station asking to hear "that cool song on the iPod ad during the Yankees game"? and DJ's having egg on their face b/c they don't have it. Wake up, Clear Channel minions! The U2 audience is crashing the party! You'd better start playing this quick!

I like the idea of an old rock band killing the mainstream radio dragon...

now if they would just give Bush/Kerry ipods with vertigo on it - have them rock out - complete domination :wink:

Back
Top Bottom