MERGED --> All because of You alternate version verse!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
All because of You alternate version verse!

How much better are the verses in the ABOY alternate version? The chorus in the old version is crap and unfinished, but the verses are so much more energetic and AWSOME with Bono's vocals and lyrics. It's much better than the album version verses IMO. His vocals are much more adventurous, and I love the lyrics as well. They should have replaced the verses in ABOy with the old recording they did, then this song would kick major ass. What do u guys reckon?

Yahweh is an ineresting wall of U2 sound! I was iffy at first but loved it from 2nd listen on. And it gets better with more listens. An interesting sound, as a song alone, its cool, but it is simply stunning as an end to the album!

*Subliminal message*please send NS, ABOY alt. to ab03nn@brocku.ca!!!*Subliminal message*

Last edited:
In my mind I keep assembling a HTDAAB with more of the outtakes.

It's rough because Native Son is very unfinished but shows such great Bullet The Blue Sky potential. It's like U2 went "Hey we got this here song about a soldier and country and freedom and shite!" and then someone said "Yeah but maybe that'll be contriversal so let's just redo Elevation instead of comparing spiritual enlightenment to a sense of elevation let's compare it to a sense of vertigo!"

Rest of band: A'right mate!

I haven't heard this ABOY verision but it has to be better than the album version.

innocent_eyes said:
Yahweh is an ineresting wall of U2 sound! I was iffy at first but loved it from 2nd listen on. And it gets better with more listens. An interesting sound, as a song alone, its cool, but it is simply stunning as an end to the album!

*Subliminal message*please send NS, ABOY alt. to ab03nn@brocku.ca!!!*Subliminal message*

I like Yahweh. But the alternate version is better.

bono_man2002 said:
I'm the same with fast cars & Xanax and wine.

They are very similar but the idea of a U2 lyric being Xanax and Wine is just such delightful beauty. It's really a rocking track. X&W is the 4th or so track on the album that should have been that really great rocking number that the album is missing.

Vertigo is defiently the warmup rocking number.

LiveFire said:

They are very similar but the idea of a U2 lyric being Xanax and Wine is just such delightful beauty. It's really a rocking track. X&W is the 4th or so track on the album that should have been that really great rocking number that the album is missing.

Vertigo is defiently the warmup rocking number.

Really? You don't think LAOPE, COBL, ABOY, or CFYT are rocking? Miracle Drug as well?

MrBrau1 said:

I like Yahweh. But the alternate version is better.
The alternate version kind of sounds a bit like Babyface to me...except at the end where it sounds more like the album version.

atikicat said:

The alternate version kind of sounds a bit like Babyface to me...except at the end where it sounds more like the album version.

Wow, a song about wanking off and God sound the same. That's U2 for ya.

MrBrau1 said:

Really? You don't think LAOPE, COBL, ABOY, or CFYT are rocking? Miracle Drug as well?

They're rocking for Sting yes. Are they hard rocking songs? Not by a looong shot.

Miracle Drug is a ballad that builds to a slight crescendo. But it's a ballad. It's not a rocker. CFYT is the same way.

LAPOE is a great bluesy/motown vibe which is not rocking. (But a damn good song.)

ABOY is a typical rocker.

X&W is a hard rocking song hitting you from fifty directions and not stopping to ask for permission or directions.

LiveFire said:

They're rocking for Sting yes. Are they hard rocking songs? Not by a looong shot.

Miracle Drug is a ballad that builds to a slight crescendo. But it's a ballad. It's not a rocker. CFYT is the same way.

LAPOE is a great bluesy/motown vibe which is not rocking. (But a damn good song.)

ABOY is a typical rocker.

X&W is a hard rocking song hitting you from fifty directions and not stopping to ask for permission or directions.

I didn't realise X&W was so metal. I think Crumbs, ABOY and LAPOE kick it's ass all the way back to acoustic guitars. If those tunes aren't rock, U2 have no rock songs. X&W is nice, but it's also a complete mess of a song.

MrBrau1 said:

I didn't realise X&W was so metal. I think Crumbs, ABOY and LAPOE kick it's ass all the way back to acoustic guitars. If those tunes aren't rock, U2 have no rock songs. X&W is nice, but it's also a complete mess of a song.

If X&W is a complete mess of a song then Achtung Baby is a mess of an album. X&W has that acoustic softness to it but that's just counterpoint to the rhythm of the lyrics. Crumbs/MD are just slow tempo with a heavier bass drum that builds into a climax.

LAPOE is a jazzy/motownish song with an industrial layer. It's not a hard rocker. That's like saying Blackbird is a rock song and not a rock band doing a country/folk song.

Man, I still think the versions released on the album far outweigh both Xanax and Wine & Native Son. I think people are looking for excuses to say why they like the non-album versions better.

Xanax is a cool song, but the way they took it and stretched it on HTDAAB is better than its demo form. Native Son just doesn't sound right to me. Kinda old Cult or (egads :ohmy:) much like a KISS demo that I heard on their box set.

Oh and I agree with MrBrau1, LAPOE and especially Crumbs kick some major @$$!! SYCMIOYO is a definite ballad, One Step Closer is a ballad. LAPOE is a mid-tempo rocker, while Crumbs smolders and sizzles all the way through...but it is not a ballad.

Xanax may not exactly be a hard metal rocker or anything, but it's definitely punk rock made on Venus. It kicks you in the air and rapes you three times before you hit the ground.

It's kind of bizzare rock. It's awesome.

shart1780 said:
It kicks you in the air and rapes you three times before you hit the ground.

Yes and the other songs on HTDAAB simply tap you on the shoulder ask you politely if you'd like to rock and then sort of wiggle their hips at you as you sing along smiling back at the singer.

Tempo wise HTDAAB really needs a jolt of adrenaline about track 4 or so.

I can't imagine someone really rocking out to Miracle Drug or Crumbs. I can see someone singing along and wailing and maybe giving a gentle bob of the head. Nothing wrong with a song like that but the album really just needs a song that kicks your ass. Too much kissing ass not enough kicking.

All Because of You (Alternate)

Anybody like the alternate version of ABOY more than the original? It's getting that way for me; with a little more work it could have been far superior to the final version U2 put on HTDAAB.

The verses just seem to have a much better melody, moving from Bono shouting "Close to it! I was so close to it! I had the universe decoded, then the atom split!" Then moving to the falsetto part "My oh my, you know I got no tears to cry." It just seems to have so much more character than the version that made HTDAAB. The verse in the original seems kind of redundant compaired to the alternate version.

Last edited:
Xanax is probably the only one they should have put on the album. It kicks!

The other songs are nice to listen to but really sound like a collection of pieces and parts put together as ideas for songs.

Xanax is that way as well....but it works well for the quirkiness of the song.

Back
Top Bottom