MERGED-->A Man and a Woman Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice theory, but it's wrong. Full Metal Jacket was what became Vertigo. This came straight from the mouth of one Bono, as evidenced at u2.com(somewhere there).

Sleep Over Jack said:
*wonders whatever happened to Bulldozer, SkyHawk, Lead Me In The Way I Should Go, The Sun, the Moon, The Stars..*

:huh: :drool:

Skyhawk is probably Vertigo, before it changed lyrics to Vertigo. Remember it was Damien Hirst who mentioned Vertigo and HTDAAB to the band back in the spring and Bono or someone in the band, maybe Lillywhite said that Native Son wasn't working as is, so Bono probably rewrote the lyrics and they might have intended the first single would have coincided with the movie release in July. It makes more sense to think that they changed the idea back to Vertigo and then shelved the soundtrack idea.

More speculation, Miracle Drug's music sounds very summery to me, I think it might be Sun, Moon, Stars and that Bulldozer very well could be LAPOE. Lead Me might be Yahweh for all we know.

It's fun to guess, it seems a lot of us were right all along about FMJ/Native Son/Vertigo.

Re: A Man an a woman = FMJ ?????

cybersyd said:
According to The Edge:
"Full Metal Jacket is there....it married another track and had a baby which is on the LP"

According to NME:
"'A Man and a Woman' is the last of the straight-ahead rock
numbers dealing with similar themes of lost love.

IMHO
FMJ is the WOMAN (mother of the rock songs)
Another song tha didn't make the cut was the MAN (father)

Maybe the Father is a "Bulldozer"!!!!!!!!!!
:larry: :larry: :larry:

That was according to the fake Edge in this forum who once called a U2 fan a terrorist. The real Edge would never make that comparison.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: A Man an a woman = FMJ ?????

jick said:

That was according to the fake Edge in this forum who once called a U2 fan a terrorist. The real Edge would never make that comparison.

Cheers,

J

J, in case you didn't know, he called You a terrorist:wink:

Anyway, it has been documented elsewhere (Blender article I think) that Native Son was juiced with a riff from the demo "Full Metal Jacket" to form the song we know as "Vertigo."

btw, Skyhawk supposedly is City of Blinding Lights.

A Man and A Woman is weak. It should have been heaped onto the C-side pile. It sounds like a cast off version of Luminous Times vs. the intro to Trash Trampoline & The Party Girl. I have tried to like it, but I feel like I am stuck on a 4:30 minute elevator ride every time I play it. To my ear, (personal opinion only) “one of these things is not like the others, and one of these things just doesn’t belong”.

I can acctually hear my father saying..."now THIS, I like".

That scares me....A LOT!

O.K. - let the critisism rain down on me.

Shono said:
A Man and A Woman is weak. It should have been heaped onto the C-side pile. It sounds like a cast off version of Luminous Times vs. the intro to Trash Trampoline & The Party Girl. I have tried to like it, but I feel like I am stuck on a 4:30 minute elevator ride every time I play it. To my ear, (personal opinion only) “one of these things is not like the others, and one of these things just doesn’t belong”.

I can acctually hear my father saying..."now THIS, I like".

That scares me....A LOT!

O.K. - let the critisism rain down on me.

I'm getting a sense of dejavu. Where have I seen this post before? It's ok though if you don't like this track. As I'm listening to it right now, I feel like I could fly:| As a person who likes Wild Honey, I must say honey, this song just blows that one away in depth and quality.

I'm listening to it too. I think I might be trying to force the issue on myself. I LOVE this album....it is everything I have ever hoped U2 might sound like. I just can't make this one work for me. I think it'll need more time and who knows. I just can't shake the vibe I'm getting from listening to it. U2 don't make background music...and this feels so uninteresting to me. Now the PASSENGERS made background music and I LOVED it. Strange.

Last edited:
A Man And A woman is brilliant, beautiful perfection

What a song!

It's got a great flow and lyric and it really makes the ladies swoon. Last night we had some friends over and of course I had to play the new record. Every female was enraptured by that song.

Needless to say, this male loves it as well. Sublime perfection in a pop song. I wonder if it'll make the live sets and in what manner.

Flying FuManchu said:
Its growing on me. Great hook in the chorus and musically very solid. Pretty adult contemporary sounding and sexy mood to boot.

it sounds to me as the bastard son of Wild Honey in a way, a more polished, more mature cousin.

Flying FuManchu said:
Yeah there is a sprinkle of Wild Honey in terms of the electric guitar but Wild Honey was folk pop and Man and Woman is more like R&B Soul type IMO.

Yea totally, but in terms of flow I think they're related. I think you mean the acoustic guitar btw :wink:

Flying FuManchu said:
There's two guitars aren't there in Man? I'm thinking electric...

yea there are (I have it on as I type and hear it) its more background, what really did it was the acoustic opening, while Wild Honey does have a more uptempo feel to it, this song seems to me a relative of it.

Or Im just tripping, I havent listened to ATYCLB in a while.

Regardless AMAW is my fave HTDAAB song so far

AMEN! I was about to start a thread on this myself. Glad to see others think so too.

I have to say, at this moment, It's my favorite. I just love it. I think it's one of their best songs.

I love 'A Man and a Woman', it definitely is one of those songs that grow on you. A few critics have said that this album is full of songs that just have U2 remaining 'stagnant', not being innovative any more, such as Zooropa and Pop - But I think 'A Man and A Woman' single handedly upsets this sentiment, I personally am of the opinion that this is one of the most interesting U2 songs of their entire career.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but do you get that 'familiar' feeling with this track?... Like you've heard it before, but can't quite put a finger on it... and if we collectively can't name an exact influence, maybe it's simply a potential classic?

Alas, I was looking for HTDAAB reviews all over online, and I found some 'supposed' U2 fans review this album on a website - four separate people with a track by track and final overall review, using the classic 'out of ten' system. Honestly, they literally tore this album apparent with some of the most negative comments I've seen thus far. I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, but if you're curious, and perhaps we could leave some defending feedback!... I think some of the criticism was very arrogant and disturbing. One person even gave the overall rating of the album 3/10??? The obviously 'bitter' review can be found at

http://www.u2tour.de/specials/htdaab_prelistening/index_EN.php#Vertigo

Maybe someone can make sense of these extreme statements?
Anyway, Long live 'A Man and a Woman', and HTDAAB!

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

I love it too, plus lyrics are great.
I don't like to think it sounds like Wild Honey, I really didn't like that song.

Last edited:
David, at the very least that is one characteristic!... Like even if you don't dig the song, 2/10...? That's like, washed up Boy Band grade, if even...

- Nicholas

Back
Top Bottom