MERGED-->1,2,3,14?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt he screwed it up, there is probably a reason. We'll just have to wait for an interview.

how about this?

let's stretch that album number theory just a little more..
how about this.. records 1,2,3 and 14 were all produced by Steve Lillywhite!
:crazy:

*disclaimer, I'm only kidding. I don't even think this is considered record 14, it's record 11th by my count b/c EPs don't count nor GH.

I'd say it's either just a bit of random humour or it's meant to highlight the 'spinning out of control' vertigo thing. 1, 2, 3, 14... things moving too quickly.

The number sequence to me its a build up to the ripping guitar!! he could have said a, b, c and hit the intro but it wouldn't matter. It draws you in and then the Edge comes in saying LEts Go Captain or something like that and you say Oh SHIT!! HEre it comes. Everyone wondered what the hell they were doing when Achtung Baby came out..I was one of them... then you see and hear why or what they were doing and all of it starts to sink in.

Now that I'm listening with headphones I can hear everything much clearer.

Does anyone know what he's saying before he goes into the "All of this can be yours"

ramblin rose said:
Now that I'm listening with headphones I can hear everything much clearer.

Does anyone know what he's saying before he goes into the "All of this can be yours"

Shot dead
Shots fall
Show me yeah yeah yeah

I love that part!

StlElevation said:
:ohmy: I just got it... now I don't speak Spanish but my background is Portuguese and it sounds obvious to me that Bono says.... are you ready people...... ready? ..... :wink:

ounze.... douze..... trez..... quatorze.... (sorry about the spelling)....

Thats 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 !!!! U2 fans are so used to the duality in the lyrics of many songs that we almost expect there to be a hidden message.... I did the same thing though....

Cheers! Go Vertigo!!!

U2FAN4LIFE said:

:ohmy: I just got it... now I don't speak Spanish but my background is Portuguese and it sounds obvious to me that Bono says.... are you ready people...... ready? ..... :wink:

ounze.... douze..... trez..... quatorze.... (sorry about the spelling)....

Thats 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 !!!! U2 fans are so used to the duality in the lyrics of many songs that we almost expect there to be a hidden message.... I did the same thing though....

Cheers! Go Vertigo!!!

that sounds about right actually. french is very similiar - onze, douze, treize, quatorze - although dont take my word for it cause i almost failed it at school!

which brings about the next question :
why 11, 12, 13, 14 and not 1, 2, 3, 4?

1, 2, 3, 14????

I've heard several others ask but...what is up with "uno, dos, tres, catorce" (spanish for 1, 2, 3, 14???) I can't imagine they would not know that catorce is 14 considering the amount of time they have spent in Spain. Therefore, it must have a reason right???

Someone was saying it was a Steve Lillywhite reference due to his involvement with the first 3 albums and now this 14th one as well. (Steve = Captain?) So far, that is making the most sense but still seems pretty obscure to me. :eyebrow:

Any ideas???

Well, the first number actually sounds more like 'uns', or 'once', eleven. Some of us think it is 11-14.

Or if it is 1-3, 14, then Bono's just emphasising vertigo. People need to stop trying to read so much into it.

Axver said:
Well, the first number actually sounds more like 'uns', or 'once', eleven. Some of us think it is 11-14.

Or if it is 1-3, 14, then Bono's just emphasising vertigo. People need to stop trying to read so much into it.

I also kicked around the idea of him emphasizing vertigo as well. :slant:
How would you expect poeple NOT to read into it??!!! It's the very first part of the very first single of a highly anticipated yet-to-be-released album that we haven't heard much from in 3+ years!

Maybe the final video will help clear it up. :shrug:

The thing is, it's their 11th album and I've heard Bono say that much before. And it's true, you'd have to strecth to include an EP, a live album and Passengers. Or both Best ofs and another. That is just too much of a stretch for me.

I really don't think the 14 means the album count. I think it is a reference to something but I am not buying into HTDAAB being #14, quite simply because it's not their 14th album.

Or it is just Bono being Bono and fucking off with the intro. A lot of punk bands used to use strange count in's. 6,5,4,3,2,4, boom! Or what the hell ever.

Someone else here said (not me so don't give me credit) that 1 is the first book of the bible Genesis. Then 2 is chapter 2, then verse 3 to 14. It is supposed to contain the second story of creation.

Cheers,

J

Why does everybody trying to find a hidden message in this? I think it's just Bono having fun...and it is a dedication to the Ramones.

I'm not usually that interested in disecting lyrics like this but as a I said before....How would you expect poeple NOT to read into it??!!! It's the very first part of the very first single of a highly anticipated yet-to-be-released album from a band that we haven't heard much from in 3+ years! If the album is as good as they say, every little piece will be picked apart by everybody anyway through time.

I let some of my friends listen to the song and they immediately caught it and gave me a look like WTF :eyebrow: I would like to offer them some sort of explanation.

If it doesn't have some sort of meaning, then I guess I am questioning their quality control. :huh:

Well, here's my idea of why they would say it: It's U2!

I played Vertigo for my TBA class on... Friday I think... yea, and everyone asked why "the guy" ( cause they didnt know his name :rolleyes: ) said 14 :huh: I said, how the heck am I supposed to know, geeze, I didn't write the song.
I'm such a butt sometimes :D But they are always mean to me, so they deserved it :wink: Always dissin Edge :(
Them buttcrackers! HAHA!

Last edited:
Maybe the band needs to watch more Seasame Street. :shrug: That's where I learned my Spanish numbers.

1. Boy (1980)
2. October (1981)
3. War (1983)
4. Under a Blood Red Sky (1983)
5. The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
6. The Joshua Tree (1987)
7. Rattle and Hum (1988)
8. Achtung Baby (1991)
9. Zooropa (1993)
10. Pop (1997)
11. The Best of 1980 - 1990 (1998)
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)
13. The Best of 1990 - 2000 (2002)
14. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)

now it wasn't that hard to count to 14, was it? :)

i'm shocked that people still are arguing over this.. i wish they didn't take down the old u2 site because it had the proper list of albums and stuff

edit: http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/album.html

the albums that i didn't count were the EP's.. the 14 that I counted are all LP's... (great, now I'm sounding like Edge)

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:
1. Boy (1980)
2. October (1981)
3. War (1983)
4. Under a Blood Red Sky (1983)
5. The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
6. The Joshua Tree (1987)
7. Rattle and Hum (1988)
8. Achtung Baby (1991)
9. Zooropa (1993)
10. Pop (1997)
11. The Best of 1980 - 1990 (1998)
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)
13. The Best of 1990 - 2000 (2002)
14. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)

now it wasn't that hard to count to 14, was it? :)

i'm shocked that people still are arguing over this.. i wish they didn't take down the old u2 site because it had the proper list of albums and stuff

edit: http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/album.html

the albums that i didn't count were the EP's.. the 14 that I counted are all LP's... (great, now I'm sounding like Edge)

If i'm not mistaken, didn't Lillywhite produce albums #1, 2, 3 & 14 from that list? and only those albums?

Back
Top Bottom