Mercy's placement on Atomic Bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
right before Yahweh. Or replace Yahweh or One Step Closer.
I love this track, it's fucking great. The fact that they left it off leaves a bad taste though. That's just something I'll have to get over. But it sure does tell you what U2 are all about these days. Sacrificing a great song because it's too long and leaving maybe a track or two on the album that are clearly weaker just because they wanted to keep it "shorter". Ugh.

It's my only gripe so far with the album, bear with me. :)

hmm I think it fits well after one step closer. The intro guitar is amazing and i think after a song like one step closer this intro is perfect. I don't know if i'm making sense (I no I am not. Hope you think otherwise)

I don't think they left "weaker" tracks on the album just to keep it shorter. They could have left the "weaker" tracks off the record and put the "stronger" ones on instead. I believe they took the tracks that did not fit thematically, reguardless of track length. U2 are artists and this is thier work. I love 'fast cars' and 'mercy' but they don't seem to fit in the context of the album. The good thing is we can still listen to them whenever we want.

I really can't find a place for it because it doesn't seem to fit thematically. That would be why U2 cut it. It's not part of the process that dismantles the atomic bomb. To me, it feels like it is after the bomb has been dismantled - "love has come again."

Sonically, I'd put it between ABOY and AMAAW.

Last edited:
Hoodlem said:
I don't think they left "weaker" tracks on the album just to keep it shorter.

They most certainly did. It was the only reason for cutting Mercy.
Read the Blender article.

It's also the reason that Fast Cars is off and TGBHF was off ATYCLB in America. It is considered too long by most in the industry because the younger crowd wanes interest the longer it goes past 45 mintues.

11 tracks, 50 minutes (give or take) thats what they are shooting for, concise album.

Why would Mercy not fit thematically on this album? That makes literally no sense to me. It's not as if the tracks are a seemless concept. Fast Cars was included on some version in other countries. Why? There was no thematic problem in that case. It' about attention spans. They know people like you and I will buy it, they are trying to get a young crowd of 16-25 year olds who have ADD to get into their music. That is the truth. So they sacrifice a longer song. Bono calls it the best B-side you ever heard. They almost added it to the album, the only reason they didnt was the length of the album already. And that is to the detriment of music fans who can swallow a 60 minute album and not get bored like some 18 year kid might.

Back
Top Bottom