Mercy is NOT unfinished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Mercy, I'm not exaggerating when I say that its one of the best things I've heard from them, and IMO the rambling, loose feel of the song gives it character and an element of mystery.

He is singing to God.

Read all the lyrics again, and think of saying all that to God.

I was drinking some wine
And it turned to blood
What's the use of religion
If you're any good
You know I'm weed-killer, honey
And your sugar
If you're the prosecution
I'd get away with murder
If you were ice
I'm water
And with your telescope
I can see further
We're binary code
A one and a zero
You wanted violins
And you got Nero
You're gravity
Searching for the ground
You're silence
Searching for a sound
You're heart is aching
You're heart is my home
It's fascinating
I know I'll never be alone

When I'm rippin' the stitches
Without two cents to rub
I'm digging the ditches
Of someone else's luck

Love, hears, when I lie
Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love will come again
I'll be gone again
Again

If you hunger
Baby let me feed it
If you're heart is full
Baby let me bleed it
And happiness is for
Those who don't really need it
You love me, too much
You always loved me, too much

When I was rippin' the stiches
Without two cents to rub
I'm diggin' the ditches
Of someone else's luck

Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love will come again
I'll be gone again
Love's, got, to be with the weak
Only then love gets a chance to speak
Love will come again
I'll be gone again
Again. . .

I, I can't escape myself
I'll hear you talk
Feel nothing
I feel nothing
Fee-ee-ee-ee-eel!
I can hear so much
Feel nothing
I can hear so much
Feel, nothing

Love will come again
I'm alive again
Love is the end, of history
The enemy of misery
Love will come again
I'm alive again
Love is justice, a charity
Love brings with it a clarity
Love will come again
I'm alive agian
Again. . .

I am alive
Baby I'm born again, and again
And again and again
Again. . .

Thanks EPandAmerica! That was what I was exactily thinking.
I'm not telling this is another God song, ok? I'm just supposing.
As I reffered, Bono says that U2 songs have free interpretation. And since first time I heard Mercy, I always judged the song as a discourse to God.

"drinking wine turning to blood" / "What's the use of religion if God's not the religion?" / "Love = God" / "it's fascinating I know I'll never be alone" / "you love me too much, always loved me too much". These are the lines (and there are others to mention) that made take the song this way. And the title... "Mercy"... It takes our counscience to an appeal to God.

But this is a personal judgement, and the song can be about something else. I admit that it can be aa love song, for example...

U2girl, about the situation of bad treating I prefer not to mention names, because I don't want to mess with the fans, I do not have that right. I'm just another member here, but I found that moment to expose my feelings to the moderators.

I heard this song on Saturday and I happen to think it's bloody amazing! Bits could be different, granted...it's obviously not the most FINISHED sounding song, although I think I MIGHT get that impression since everyone whinges about it being unfinished. However, had I not been told this and you had put it on the 'Atomic Bomb', I wouldn't have been able to tell...!

I personally prefer it to 'Miracle Drug'...has the same feel to it, yet MUCH BETTER. The lyrics are fantastic and the tune has much more of a 'SOUND' to it (probably thinking atmospherically, since that's my way) and I honestly get a lot more out of listening to 'Mercy' since I've never really got on 'Miracle Drug' anyway...! Sums up how I feel as well! :)

There's my two pence...

miss becky said:
It rambles, but that's partly why I like it. It doesn't hold to the verse-chorus-verse formula, as was said earlier. I almost hate to think of the band playing around with it and tightening it up.
There is a difference, however, between a tight unconventional song structure and a rambling song. You can have an unconventional song that still has focused lyrics and polished production.

Bad, or my favourite example, Promenade.

Thanks EP and Aygo for your insights.

Do you think there is a point(s) in Mercy where God is the speaker?

What do you think of this? A couple weeks ago I read a review of ATYCLB in which the author suggested that we consider who is being addressed in the song WH. I had thought it was a fairly straight ahead and simple love song . Knowing U2’s faith and Bono’s sometimes very subtle way of expressing it I gave the song a second look.

soul speaks to God:

In the days
When we were swinging from the trees
I was a monkey
Stealing honey from the swarm of bees
I could taste...
I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind
Did I know you...
Did I know you even then?
Before the clocks kept time
Before the world was made
From the cruel sun
You were shelter...
You were my shelter and my shade

God speaks to the soul:

I’m still standing...
I'm still standing where you left me
Are you still growing wild
With everything tame around you?
I send you flowers
Good flowers for your heart
I know your garden is full
But is there sweetness at all?

Wild Honey – the first half could be from the perspective of a human person. He or she recalling, remembering, reminiscing about the beginning of his/her relationship with God, the falling in love and the initial period being in love, when people are typically “wild” = “head over heels” walking like “5 feet off the ground.” “Wild” for each other. “Wild” in love. Yet, like any relationship it grows and changes. Sometimes one or both become disappointed or disillusioned with other when the euphoria at the start dissipates. Maybe the soul begins to drift away from God. Maybe the soul has become too “full” (with distractions or temptations or possessions or self pursuits or etc.) Maybe an encounter with difficult times causes the soul to question / accuse God: “Hey Lord what happened? You were once my shelter and You were once my shade. Where have You gone?” And God replies: “Hey, don’t try to tell Me that I’ve walked away. I'm still standing where you left me…” Still a love song. Still a loving relationship with God. Just a reaffirming it and recharging it with some “wild honey.”

Aygo said:
And the most ridiculous thing is that most of the times, some moderators seem to agree with that "masters" (sorry, I didn't get another expression, I'm not inspired today), and they let these people put the other fans down. Why?
Moderators, please pay attention to this. It isn't really hard.

If you have a problem with the moderators or a suggestion, you are welcome to email any of them privately. Please do not put down the moderators in the public forum. Moderators are humans too and have opinions about U2 just like everyone else. And it is not always easy to be everywhere all the time. Personal attacks on fellow members/fans is not allowed. If you have a problem with a post, you can use the report button and it may or may not be addressed, depending on the reviews by the moderators.

Ok.
I see that it forum looks sometimes as a dictatorial thing as fans cannot express them opinion without being bashed by other fans.
I was not telling that moderators are total responsible, but they could atenuate this. So, if you allow the kind of situations I reffered, why you're hungry because I said something that's truth? What's worse? Personal attacks or to be interdited to express its feelings when you feel hurt? I do not see any problem about doing it here.The proof is that many people have agreed with what I said, or was it supposed to hide just for me? For God's sake, let's be coherent and learn respect the others! I guess U2 would not like to watch this!
Yes, now you left me angry and sad.

If it has to be, if it is the solution, I'll just stop posting here.

Thank you.

In a perfect world people would always respect others. In real life and on message boards. But this is not a perfect world. We do our best to stop forum members from personally attacking each other. Like I said, we cant be in every thread at all times. That's why its best that if you are upset to contact a moderator in private.

No one is telling you to stop posting here.. I am just responding to your 'complaint' about the moderators.

I love the drums in Mercy. I think it needs muted 16th-note delayed guitar (a-la Streets, In God's Country, Two Hearts Beat As One, etc.) and needs to have the distorted guitar from the intro taken out. Shorten it up and give it a couple hooks and you've got yourself a pretty darn good song.

If it isn't "unfinished" it should be. There is some wonderful moments throughout this song but where as BAD does indeed "ramble" in a brilliant way MERCY just rambles. However, having said that, the Edge's guitar in the beginning of the song has the potential to be another BAD but for some reason the song never goes where it should. I'd highly recommend they re-record it - not shorten it - just re-record it.

Okay, so maybe not shorted -- just more direction. But the 16th note muted guitars would be nice!

I'd like to say one thing here about the song being "rambling". I think that's a load of shit. It's not like the song keeps repeating itself and goes nowhere. There is a NICE chorus, just as good as any on The Bomb. It's catchy. Secondly, the "I hear you talk/feel nothing" part is certainly a climax if you're looking for one. It reaches an emotional point not found in the rest of the song. And Edge's brief guitar solo is really, really, nice.

While the ending returns to the slow gallop from the beginning and fades out, you can't say that you haven't been on any kind of journey. I don't know how liberal people's definition of "rambling" is, but it sure as hell doesn't fit mine. Just because it isn't as good as Bad doesn't mean it isn't good. There aren't many, if any, U2 songs that are.

laz

I happen to love 'Mercy'. This is the return to Achtung Baby era U2 that fans always yearn for. Not to be too ethereal, but this is U2 again exploring unrequited love, their relationship with God, and the soul in a very different way than you hear on HTDAAB or ATYCLB. It just FEELS more direct, as if it is coming from a different side of U2 that we don't hear as often as we used to. Remember the song 'Wild Irish Rose'? That one is also unfinished as far as I know (maybe somewhere in their vault), but it is U2 exploring deep emotion very directly.

I would agree that the song sounds a bit unfinished and rough in a few spots, but my God, listen to the quality that IS there. I don't really care about the details - the message of the song definitely comes across and that is all I ever want out of U2. They already have shiny, perfectly produced songs out there, like Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

'Mercy' allows us to enjoy the U2 that created songs like 'So Cruel' and 'Wild Horses'. Raw, vibrant, deep, soulful stuff that sticks in your heart and lingers.

AJ

Hawk269 said:
I happen to love 'Mercy'. This is the return to Achtung Baby era U2 that fans always yearn for. Not to be too ethereal, but this is U2 again exploring unrequited love, their relationship with God, and the soul in a very different way than you hear on HTDAAB or ATYCLB. It just FEELS more direct, as if it is coming from a different side of U2 that we don't hear as often as we used to. Remember the song 'Wild Irish Rose'? That one is also unfinished as far as I know (maybe somewhere in their vault), but it is U2 exploring deep emotion very directly.

I would agree that the song sounds a bit unfinished and rough in a few spots, but my God, listen to the quality that IS there. I don't really care about the details - the message of the song definitely comes across and that is all I ever want out of U2. They already have shiny, perfectly produced songs out there, like Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

'Mercy' allows us to enjoy the U2 that created songs like 'So Cruel' and 'Wild Horses'. Raw, vibrant, deep, soulful stuff that sticks in your heart and lingers.

AJ

Best post of this thread by far. I luv AB and, yeah, this song does recreate the atmosphere of this famous album. Sometimes raw and direct is better than overproduced. I cant praise this song enough as it really reaches me deep inside.:drool:

doctorwho said:

In 1991, AB was a great rock album that stood out in a grunge-dominated era. Even now, HTDAAB has a bit of a punk sound,

HUH? The vast majority of the country had never heard of Grunge in 1991. Didn't edge say he'd been listenint to NIN around that time.

In contrast, "Pop" blended with the techno sounds of Prodigy and Chemical Brothers (to mention but a few artists) of the era. U2 did not lead the charge here and were hardly original.

Who was doing it in rock/pop format? Prodigy and CB had next to no melody in their music. I liked it, but U2's Pop was nothing like those albums.

John Cage existed before the Beatles, but that doesn't make McCartney's use of Musique Concrete concepts on Lennon's Tomorrow Never Knows any less original.

I'll take Pop over ATYCLB any day. One of them still interests me. One of them I still find new things on every listen. The other sounded like the greatest u2 albums and quickly god old and boring.

As for mercy, I can't believe people are complaining about the guitar work. This song screams to be played live. And I agree with whoever said it's better than Bad. Bad on UF was a god awful song. Slow meandering and it never went anywhere.

Live it was a tour de force.

As for lyrics, I like them, but I'm not lyric junky. In the end, the music is what makes this song work, and tightening up the music would only make it worse. Some songs aren't meant to be pop songs.

Perhaps it's another God song. If so, then Mercy fits, as one definition of mercy is a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion, which fits with Love is justice a charity (a synonymn for Mercy)

It also means
compassionate treatment of those in distress , for exmaple the poor, as in Love's got to be with the weak only then love gets a chance to speak.

In the end, I'd rather hear this song than virtually every other song on HTDAAB, and the only song I dislike on that album is One Step Closer. Even if I agreed that mercy peters out at the end -- I don't -- at least it gets started.

IMO, the song is damn near flawless and easilly Bono's best lyric since Pop.

Back
Top Bottom