Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son

Well what can I say, I just downloaded these songs a few days ago and WOW.

Mercy is one of the best songs U2 have written to date. I cannot believe that U2 have not refined this song into a single as in touched it up a little bit not too much of course. This song is absolutely amazing and beats all other songs on HTDAAB.

Fast Cars, well again, one of there better songs to date. I can really imagine this song on a movie sound track. It is sooooo cool.

Native Son...beats Vertigo quite easily. The overall sound of the song is so much better than Vertigo and rocks. I find it much more catchy than Vertigo. I absolutely love the various guitar sounds in Native Son. It rocks.

I love U2 however I am a little disappointed in their last album. It seems as though they have written songs in HTDAAB in an attempt to impress the overall audience.

I thought U2 had lost their magic with their last album but listening to Mercy, Fast Cars and Native Son has convinced me that they still have the magic and need to just believe in their own music, instead of trying to get positive feedback from producers etc..which I believe has happened while they wrote songs on their last album.

Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with. Don't try and develop the song by trying to impress the overall audience.

Anyway one last thing in relation to Mercy..well what can I say

Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
War Child

Come on guys...how about some feedback. Do you agree with me? Mercy and Fast Cars should be album songs not B sides on singles. Have U2 lost their touch when it comes to choosing songs for albums. It is so frustrating as they have the potential to produce magic but seem to choose the wrongs songs to put on an album.

Maybe I am wrong? But then again maybe not

Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Xanax and Wine is much better than the song that came from it (Fast Cars)............Mercy is quite good and I feel it will be the centerpiece of a new album........Native Son would've been a radio hit in its own right, but I prefer the Vertigo counterpart, although it has a cool chorus......
Old 05-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMacPhisto
Xanax and Wine is much better than the song that came from it (Fast Cars)............Mercy is quite good and I feel it will be the centerpiece of a new album........Native Son would've been a radio hit in its own right, but I prefer the Vertigo counterpart, although it has a cool chorus......
Hey there BigMacPhisto...

I so hope you are right when you say that Mercy will be a centrepiece to a new album.

I haven't heard Xanax and Wine..have you got a link where I can download the song.

cheers
Old 05-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Where can I download that type of songs? glad
Old 05-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
Where can I download that type of songs? glad
Hi there MacPhisto

Go to http://U2mp3s.com

I down loaded Mercy, FastCars and Native Son from that website.

Its a cool website.
Unfortuately they do not have Xanas and Wine on there to download as of yet. Hopefully soon.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretFly

Hi there MacPhisto

Go to http://U2mp3s.com

I down loaded Mercy, FastCars and Native Son from that website.

Its a cool website.
Unfortuately they do not have Xanas and Wine on there to download as of yet. Hopefully soon.

One more thing. You have to register to download and that is pretty easy as you only have to give them your email address to register. Then once you have registered go to forums and all the free downloads are there.

Enjoy.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks SecretFly

Old 05-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
Thanks SecretFly

Thats ok...Will help out a fellow U2 fan anytime. If you have any problems reply to this thread.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with
I don't agree. One of the things I LOVE about U2 is their diversity. They're a complex, multi-faceted entity and to do that would not do them justice, whatsoever.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BONO'ppetit
I don't agree. One of the things I LOVE about U2 is their diversity. They're a complex, multi-faceted entity and to do that would not do them justice, whatsoever.
Hi there BONOppetit

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I disagree.

In the good old days say prior to the POP era. I believe that U2 wrote a song and just went with it. These days it seems like when they write a song they want every song to be commercially viable and that is their downfall.

I mean Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son are songs that are brilliant as they are not trying to produce these songs for a commercial market.

Just my opinion of course
Old 05-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I disagree.
Hi. I respect that and totally agree, too. But I just like the different sounds. I often hear a song and wonder how it would've sounded "if". Know what I mean? I guess they do it too.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:00 AM
For a long time, I thought Beautiful Day was the most overrated song in the U2 universe. But, Mercy has proved me wrong.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Hi. I respect that and totally agree, too. But I just like the different sounds. I often hear a song and wonder how it would've sounded "if". Know what I mean? I guess they do it too.
I know exactly what you mean and I guess U2 are perfectionists and want to get the best out of a song...however maybe they should just stick to their original (first) ideas as I believe the original ideas are what comes from the heart and spirit and as we all know U2 is such a spiritual band.

Their first idea to a song such as Native Son will be their best. I am sure in the good old days where they wrote Streets Have No Name etc they didn't analyse on how they could improve this song for commercial viability.

Just my opinion of course... I still love them
Old 05-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
For a long time, I thought Beautiful Day was the most overrated song in the U2 universe. But, Mercy has proved me wrong.
So what are you trying to say Just kidding
Old 05-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #16
War Child

Quote:
however maybe they should just stick to their original (first) ideas as I believe the original ideas are what comes from the heart and spirit and as we all know U2 is such a spiritual band.
I dunno. I think it's just what we're used to. Who knows how many versions they did before they decided on the one they chose. Who knows how hard it was to decide on that one. One band member might've said they want *this* version recorded, and so on. I see it as the many sides of their talent, I guess and I cherish it all, with very few exceptions.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Re: Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretFly
Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with.
...You obviously haven't heard the alternate version of Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own.

Mercy does rule, though.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
I dunno. I think it's just what we're used to. Who knows how many versions they did before they decided on the one they chose. Who knows how hard it was to decide on that one. One band member might've said they want *this* version recorded, and so on. I see it as the many sides of their talent, I guess and I cherish it all, with very few exceptions.
Very true BONO'ppetit..

I suppose thats what makes them brilliant...they are perfectionists... they only want the best but I think sometimes they can be wrong. It all comes down to taste in the end. They are still the best in my eyes.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Native Son is NOT better than Vertgio. Everyone loves it when they first hear it, but after a while they realize that Vertigo is way better.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #20
War Child

Quote:
It all comes down to taste in the end. They are still the best in my eyes.
That's what it's all about!