Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SecretFly

War Child
Well what can I say, I just downloaded these songs a few days ago and WOW.

Mercy is one of the best songs U2 have written to date. I cannot believe that U2 have not refined this song into a single as in touched it up a little bit not too much of course. This song is absolutely amazing and beats all other songs on HTDAAB.

Fast Cars, well again, one of there better songs to date. I can really imagine this song on a movie sound track. It is sooooo cool.

Native Son...beats Vertigo quite easily. The overall sound of the song is so much better than Vertigo and rocks. I find it much more catchy than Vertigo. I absolutely love the various guitar sounds in Native Son. It rocks.

I love U2 however I am a little disappointed in their last album. It seems as though they have written songs in HTDAAB in an attempt to impress the overall audience.

I thought U2 had lost their magic with their last album but listening to Mercy, Fast Cars and Native Son has convinced me that they still have the magic and need to just believe in their own music, instead of trying to get positive feedback from producers etc..which I believe has happened while they wrote songs on their last album.

Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with. Don't try and develop the song by trying to impress the overall audience.

Anyway one last thing in relation to Mercy..well what can I say :drool:

Come on guys...how about some feedback. Do you agree with me? Mercy and Fast Cars should be album songs not B sides on singles. Have U2 lost their touch when it comes to choosing songs for albums. It is so frustrating as they have the potential to produce magic but seem to choose the wrongs songs to put on an album.

Maybe I am wrong? :ohmy: But then again maybe not :wink:

Xanax and Wine is much better than the song that came from it (Fast Cars)............Mercy is quite good and I feel it will be the centerpiece of a new album........Native Son would've been a radio hit in its own right, but I prefer the Vertigo counterpart, although it has a cool chorus......

BigMacPhisto said:
Xanax and Wine is much better than the song that came from it (Fast Cars)............Mercy is quite good and I feel it will be the centerpiece of a new album........Native Son would've been a radio hit in its own right, but I prefer the Vertigo counterpart, although it has a cool chorus......

Hey there BigMacPhisto...

I so hope you are right when you say that Mercy will be a centrepiece to a new album.

I haven't heard Xanax and Wine..have you got a link where I can download the song.

cheers

SecretFly said:

Hi there MacPhisto

Go to http://U2mp3s.com

I down loaded Mercy, FastCars and Native Son from that website.

Its a cool website.
Unfortuately they do not have Xanas and Wine on there to download as of yet. Hopefully soon.

:)

One more thing. You have to register to download and that is pretty easy as you only have to give them your email address to register. Then once you have registered go to forums and all the free downloads are there.

Enjoy.

Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with
I don't agree. One of the things I LOVE about U2 is their diversity. They're a complex, multi-faceted entity and to do that would not do them justice, whatsoever.

BONO'ppetit said:
I don't agree. One of the things I LOVE about U2 is their diversity. They're a complex, multi-faceted entity and to do that would not do them justice, whatsoever.

Hi there BONOppetit

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I disagree.

In the good old days say prior to the POP era. I believe that U2 wrote a song and just went with it. These days it seems like when they write a song they want every song to be commercially viable and that is their downfall.

I mean Mercy, Fast Cars, Native Son are songs that are brilliant as they are not trying to produce these songs for a commercial market.

Just my opinion of course :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I disagree.
Hi. I respect that and totally agree, too. But I just like the different sounds. I often hear a song and wonder how it would've sounded "if". Know what I mean? I guess they do it too. :)

For a long time, I thought Beautiful Day was the most overrated song in the U2 universe. But, Mercy has proved me wrong.

BONO'ppetit said:
Hi. I respect that and totally agree, too. But I just like the different sounds. I often hear a song and wonder how it would've sounded "if". Know what I mean? I guess they do it too. :)

I know exactly what you mean :) and I guess U2 are perfectionists and want to get the best out of a song...however maybe they should just stick to their original (first) ideas as I believe the original ideas are what comes from the heart and spirit and as we all know U2 is such a spiritual band.

Their first idea to a song such as Native Son will be their best. I am sure in the good old days where they wrote Streets Have No Name etc they didn't analyse on how they could improve this song for commercial viability.

Just my opinion of course... I still love them :)

however maybe they should just stick to their original (first) ideas as I believe the original ideas are what comes from the heart and spirit and as we all know U2 is such a spiritual band.
I dunno. I think it's just what we're used to. Who knows how many versions they did before they decided on the one they chose. Who knows how hard it was to decide on that one. One band member might've said they want *this* version recorded, and so on. I see it as the many sides of their talent, I guess and I cherish it all, with very few exceptions. ;)

SecretFly said:
Bit of advice to the boys of U2. What you usually write the first time should be the song that you should stick with.

...You obviously haven't heard the alternate version of Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own. :wink:

Mercy does rule, though.

BONO'ppetit said:
I dunno. I think it's just what we're used to. Who knows how many versions they did before they decided on the one they chose. Who knows how hard it was to decide on that one. One band member might've said they want *this* version recorded, and so on. I see it as the many sides of their talent, I guess and I cherish it all, with very few exceptions. ;)

Very true BONO'ppetit..

I suppose thats what makes them brilliant...they are perfectionists... they only want the best but I think sometimes they can be wrong. It all comes down to taste in the end. They are still the best in my eyes.

Native Son is NOT better than Vertgio. Everyone loves it when they first hear it, but after a while they realize that Vertigo is way better.

It all comes down to taste in the end. They are still the best in my eyes.
That's what it's all about!
thumbup.gif

Don't like Native son very much. Sounds very bad produced (I can't understand what Bono's singing without the lyrics beside me) and too confused. Vertigo is quite better: It can gives "that" feeling.

Fast Cars, I love this song... Even the J.L. remix is amazing... I 'd love the idea of U2 invading a bazar in Morocco and start playing this song. But it would be perfect with some of the ideas left in Xanax and wine.

Mercy, with a better production and it would be perfect. Beautiful and expressive lyrics and brilliant instrumental!

The background vocals on the chorus of Native Son should have been on Vertigo instead of the Spanish lines.

Fast Cars is such a catchy song! I do wish they would have put it on the regular version of HTDAAB. It has such a cool feel to it. Mercy is one of the best songs U2 have done in years! I think the only reason this is a B-side is because it's too long and doesn't fit the "pop song" mold that they were obviously going for in HTDAAB. I don't care for Native Son too much. It just doesn't sound "right". Maybe I wouldn't think this if I wasn't comparing it to Vertigo, but I guess that just means that I think Vertigo is a better song. I do prefer the ending on Native Son to the "yeah, yeah" part on Vertigo (although I really got into that part at the concert!) And now that we are talking about original versions of songs, have you heard the alternate version of All Because of You? While I like the album version much better, I do like the parts where Bono sings up high in the verses before the chorus. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I just love it when he does that!

does anyone have a address for Mercy ...i tried to get it form the u23player above but couldnt get it through that...

any chance of someone telling me how else to get it?

Well, I enjoyed Native Son, though I do I agree that Vertigo is better. Xanax and Wine was way better than Fast Cars, but I really enjoy the "Mexican" feel of Fast Cars almost better than the feel of Xanax. As for Mercy, I'm going against everyone else! I don't think that it was bad, indeed, I thought it was an o.k. song, but I didn't like it as much as everyone else here is acting.

djerdap said:
For a long time, I thought Beautiful Day was the most overrated song in the U2 universe. But, Mercy has proved me wrong.
Quite true. I despise Mercy at this point beyond its sonic irritants...mostly because of the retarded amount of praise it gets on the boards.

Canadiens1160 said:
Quite true. I despise Mercy at this point beyond its sonic irritants...mostly because of the retarded amount of praise it gets on the boards.

If it was released it would be as ridiculed and dissected as any other track on HTDAAB.

it's all very hypocritical.

SecretFly said:
Come on guys...how about some feedback. Do you agree with me? Mercy and Fast Cars should be album songs not B sides on singles. Have U2 lost their touch when it comes to choosing songs for albums. It is so frustrating as they have the potential to produce magic but seem to choose the wrongs songs to put on an album.

Maybe I am wrong? :ohmy: But then again maybe not :wink:

Native son is way better than Vertigo and IT should have been the single.
I dont always agree with u2 when it comes to choosing songs from albums. Though OOTS was the best choice they could make, they didnt choose Miracle Drug. This song is just so great not only musically but also its lyrics...deeper than ABOY...
And Mercy is a "miracle drug"...phantastic! I heard rumours -which I dont believe in:wink: - this will be on their next album..
As for me, Fast Cars is quite similar to All Because Of You.

Back
Top Bottom