Mercy !! Edge Answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abombdismantler

The Fly
Well i finally remembered when i met the band to ask them about MERCY . Usually everything i plan to say to them goes out the window but not this time . I knew about the filming of WINDOWS IN THE SKY at the CORNER HOTEL in MELBOURNE and managed to blag myself and my girlfriend onto the shoot .For the first 2 run throughs of the filming inside the hotel i was 2 people to the left of EDGE so in between takes a few of us were asking him various questions . I actually got it together and asked him the question we all want answered .....

i said EDGE whats the story with MERCY ? .... he looked at me for a moment and said MERCY ?? i said yes MERCY and after a bit of deliberation he gave me the answer "ITS NOT FINISHED YET "!!Nobody else around knew what i was talking about as most of them were from casting agencys etc , so there were no interuptions , not finished ?? i replied , its 6:15 min long AND THAT GOOD but not finished ? EDGE said yes not finished there are still some parts of it we are working on .
Now if we think its that good already WHATS IT GOING TO END UP LIKE ???

abombdismantler said:
EDGE said yes not finished there are still some parts of it we are working on.

:hmm:

1. Shorten it to radio length.

2. Make it more beatlesque.

3. Add soul, knees, sky, heart etc. to lyrics.

4. Raise the volume 10 times.

:sad:

Re: Re: Mercy !! Edge Answers

Zootlesque said:

1. Shorten it to radio length.

2. Make it more beatlesque.

3. Add soul, knees, sky, heart etc. to lyrics.

4. Raise the volume 10 times.

:sad:

:lol: lol at number 3

I think with a little polish and some judicious editing, it could be the great song that so many here claim it already is.

If The Edge says there are still some parts of it they are working on, Mercy is meant to be on the next album for sure. :drool:

Dorian Gray said:
I nominate you for Interferencer of the Year for your question!

:bow:

i always have a few things to ask them but i think just like everybody else i probably get a bit star struck and forget what i was meant to ask but because we had quite a bit of time with them i calmed down !! and got it out.

That's so cool you were able to find that out!! thanks for asking!

btw, were all four boys close to one another in the audience? or were they not in there at the same time? cuz you mentioned in the other thread that Larry was right in front of your girlfriend!! =)
was it easy to get so close to them? dude, i wish i was there!!! that's so awesome. was it hard to get in, or did they let everyone in? i bet there must've been a huge line

corianderstem said:
I think with a little polish and some judicious editing, it could be the great song that so many here claim it already is.

Agreed.

tuwie said:
That's so cool you were able to find that out!! thanks for asking!

btw, were all four boys close to one another in the audience? or were they not in there at the same time? cuz you mentioned in the other thread that Larry was right in front of your girlfriend!! =)
was it easy to get so close to them? dude, i wish i was there!!! that's so awesome. was it hard to get in, or did they let everyone in? i bet there must've been a huge line

answers -
they filmed 4 takes of us / the crowd singing along and " going off " to the video which is the one on you tube .
for the first 2 takes if you were on stage looking out from right to left was BONO , ADAM across from him and in front of him then LARRY across again then EDGE across a bit further . For the second 2 takes BONO and ADAM were basically in the same spots but LARRY and EDGE swapped positions and LARRY came and stood right in front of us !!!

Can we see you, then? What are you wearing?

You can't release a 6:15 song even on an album these days (unless it is a dance song and then it can go on forever, like Put Your Hands Up for Detroit.) If they get it down in the 4:00 range that should suffice.

silvrlvr said:
You can't release a 6:15 song even on an album these days

1. (Maybe) they won't release it as a single, nor should they.

2. Listen to a Decemberists album.

LemonMelon said:

Even better, listen to a Dream Theater album. Their last one had a 24 minute song. :drool:

I just love how people talk about Mercy as if it's long. It's a little on the comparative short side from my perspective.

LemonMelon said:

1. (Maybe) they won't release it as a single, nor should they.

I've never made it all the way through a Decemberists album. That's why they invented iTunes, so we don't have to.

And yes, I'm fully aware you can put a song longer than 6:15 on an album, but it might not be commercially played. And my sense with U2 these days is that they want the majority of the songs on their records to get airplay.

silvrlvr said:
And yes, I'm fully aware you can put a song longer than 6:15 on an album, but it might not be commercially played. And my sense with U2 these days is that they want the majority of the songs on their records to get airplay.

Yeah, I certainly don't see lengthy songs getting a whole lot of airplay - hell, U2 even had to edit COBL down for the single version - but then again, Pure Reason Revolution's 12 minute The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning got to #78 on the UK charts, so anything can happen.

They're just gonna shorten it and make it more radio friendly, add bad lyrics, polish it too much etc..

Nothing good will come of it.

silvrlvr said:
You can't release a 6:15 song even on an album these days

what? :huh:

as long as it doesn't sound like a turd slowly sliding down a window and actually means something I'm all for it.

wow, this is good news, because it suggests that they intend to do something with it

kudos for asking about Mercy :up: hopefully the band won't fuck it up and instead will take it to a new level of greatness :drool:

No matter what U2 put out it will be the loud minority that win out in this forum saying the same things that are being said here. This sucks that sucks everything sucks. Go suck it.

Yahweh said:
No matter what U2 put out it will be the loud minority that win out in this forum saying the same things that are being said here. This sucks that sucks everything sucks. Go suck it.

Totally agree. :sigh:

As for Mercy... I honestly never understood why it created such a massive uproar, but it's interesting that the band may be working on it (if this story is true). Hopefully they'll improve it. :macdevil:

Back
Top Bottom