Mercy !! Edge Answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lmao:

hail, sicy?

I think Mercy is a great song.. one of their best, and I like the production or mix and ..

It's just that little Edge solo.. THERE'S THE MAGIC... THAT'S THE TICKET...
3, 4 picks and it's absolute heaven :drool:

BANZAI said:
If The Edge says there are still some parts of it they are working on, Mercy is meant to be on the next album for sure. :drool:

Not really, even IF the story is true. U2 has a ton of songs from all of their sessions that I'm sure alot of people would think are great, but they never see the light of day. The only reason we know about Mercy is because it was on an early version of Bomb that a fan got ahold of. It was intended to be on Bomb but wasnt. So I dont know how its a for sure thing for the next album. It could just as easily go into the pile of other songs they have done that never get released. The only good thing about when U2 hangs it up is going to be the box set full of the great songs they never used.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

In your, oh so humble, opinion.

I reverently disagree.

Thank you so much. :yes:

There we go! What my yawn was saying.

You know, without the "rule breaking."

vaz02 said:

In recent years u2 have have screwed up many a good things.

Wrong.

There hasn't been anything good for them to screw up this decade but if there was they would have.

[/sarcasm]

AUSTRALIA REQUIRES ONE WICKET TO WIN BACK THE ASHES!!!!!

Can anyone else recall the story of Mercy? As far as I remember, the way we all ended up with a copy of it is because Bono gave a copy of it to a fan a while ago. However I am pretty sure that he NEVER said 'this is Mercy'. The only reason we all call this song Mercy is because a magazine article said there was a long, epic sounding song that was on the original Bomb tracklisting that had been left out in the end, and this song was called 'Mercy'.

So obviously it makes total sense that this song would in fact be Mercy, but there is a small possibility that it's not! Who knows, maybe the song Edge is refering to isn't the one we are all thinking of... :shrug:

Found the original Mercy thread, or at least the thread when we got the song for the first time. People had been speculating for a while about it though because of the Blender article with Bono saying it was the 'best B-side ever'.

So it seems like it might not have been Bono who gave the song to a fan, but the person who got Mercy initially also had met Bono a few days before and he had mentioned Mercy. But Bono never made a clear link between the song and the name 'Mercy'.

That being said the track was on a CD with other Bomb songs, and Mercy had been described as 6.30 minutes of epic-U2, so it must be it. Still, funny how things we take for 100% certain sometimes come from fan speculation.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102136&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The case against "improvements"/"it's not finished yet"

Exhibit A - The "finished" versions of Pop songs on the 90-00 Best of

:censored:

oceane said:
Bono never made a clear link between the song and the name 'Mercy'.

That being said the track was on a CD with other Bomb songs, and Mercy had been described as 6.30 minutes of epic-U2, so it must be it. Still, funny how things we take for 100% certain sometimes come from fan speculation.

I'm quite convinced that the unreleased song is "Mercy" just take a look at this.

"MERCY MERCY" sure would mean that this song is called Mercy (or maybe "Mercy Mercy" ?)

Similar lyrics as the track we've heard, and that track is running for 6:30 minutes, and that's the length Blender Magazine reported the song to be.

[more Blender info]

This next picture shows us that the band really did plan to release it on the last album as well, and according to the timeline it was "finished" last of the Bomb session songs

Someone that actually has the book might see what I'm saying and getting a better view, because these scans are a bit blurry.

Maybe it's pure fan speculation but it's not unimaginable that this is true.
But I presume we yet have to see how this track will turn out.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

:up:

Still, you know yawning is wrong. :shame: To the dungeon with you!

In regards to Mercy, don't change it. Maybe remove some of the mediocre lines and improve the sound quality. That's it. The 6 minute length is part of what makes it special.

And to those who say that Bono's vocal will be worse than the one we already have...it's not possible. He's sounding better than he has in a good decade or so right now.

Bonochick said:

Actually, vaz02 is right...and I think you know that. If not, you should probably review the FAQ/Rules.

You're right, that's my bad.

But I'd rather see mods enforcing rules than other members doing so, you know what I mean?

You people yawn and stuff at my comment but actually im a huge fan of 00's u2.

COBL and almost anything from ATYCLB walk into my top 10 u2 songs and maybe my top 10 songs of all time.

The Story of Mercy:

Interference member U2SJ met Bono (I believe at a hotel) a few weeks before HTDAAB came out. She asked him about the upcoming album & he said something along the lines of, "Watch out for Mercy, it's my favorite." Within a week or two of that meeting, a Blender magazine article came out in which the author sat with the band & talked about the upcoming album, detailing each track. One of those tracks was listed as "Mercy." The author commented on what it sounded like, then said that Larry said he had an idea, the band huddled up, and after a few minutes, Mercy was no longer on the album. In just a few weeks, HTDAAB was released. So, Mercy was cut just a few weeks from the actual pressing/distribution of the album. Around the time of the album's release, U2SJ--the same young woman who had met Bono & been told to "look out for Mercy"---got a copy of HTDAAB from a friend. Tacked onto the end of this copy of the album was a 12th track, which we all now know as Mercy. The title was apparently not on the disc that she got, but since the Blender article had commented on Mercy being over 6 minutes, she figured that this must be Mercy. She then leaked it on Interference & I think the thread had 500 posts in less than a day. People questioned how she had gotten it. She kept saying that she had no idea how her friend had gotten a copy of it....but also never said anything about actually asking him/her. Since I wasn't around yet for all this, I did a bit of digging last year (http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148160&highlight=mercy) and emailed her. She still just states that she has no idea how the friend got it. (If it were me, I'd be asking the dude a million times a day. :shrug: ).

/endstoryofMercy :wink:

Anyway, kudos to the original poster for asking, and kudos to the band for still working on it. Good grief at what most of the posts in this thread say. :huh: I honestly don't understand why people care if they change the song into something else. You already have the version of the song you like---who the hell cares if they release it in a different way?? Listen to the one you like, quit bitching all the time, bugger off and sit in a corner with your original copy. (honestly, the same applies to people who have lost so much faith post-Pop...bugger off, listen to what you like, and leave the rest alone). :shrug:

Mercy is good. We'll see what shape it takes. I'm looking forward to it, especially because we know where it's come from.

Last edited:
Utoo said:
The Story of Mercy:

Interference member U2SJ met Bono (I believe at a hotel) a few weeks before HTDAAB came out. She asked him about the upcoming album & he said something along the lines of, "Watch out for Mercy, it's my favorite." Within a week or two of that meeting, a Blender magazine article came out in which the author sat with the band & talked about the upcoming album, detailing each track. One of those tracks was listed as "Mercy." The author commented on what it sounded like, then said that Larry said he had an idea, the band huddled up, and after a few minutes, Mercy was no longer on the album. In just a few weeks, HTDAAB was released. So, Mercy was cut just a few weeks from the actual pressing/distribution of the album. Around the time of the album's release, U2SJ--the same young woman who had met Bono & been told to "look out for Mercy"---got a copy of HTDAAB from a friend. Tacked onto the end of this copy of the album was a 12th track, which we all now know as Mercy. The title was apparently not on the disc that she got, but since the Blender article had commented on Mercy being over 6 minutes, she figured that this must be Mercy. She then leaked it on Interference & I think the thread had 500 posts in less than a day. People questioned how she had gotten it. She kept saying that she had no idea how her friend had gotten a copy of it....but also never said anything about actually asking him/her. Since I wasn't around yet for all this, I did a bit of digging last year (http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148160&highlight=mercy) and emailed her. She still just states that she has no idea how the friend got it. (If it were me, I'd be asking the dude a million times a day. :shrug: ).

/endstoryofMercy :wink:

Thanks for the overview :wink: Yeah of course I am also pretty sure Mercy is in fact Mercy, even though we never got an official word for it.

What is a bit strange though is that, like you recalled, Mercy was in fact on Bomb until pretty much the last minute it seems, therefore should have been pretty much finished, no?

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're right, that's my bad.

But I'd rather see mods enforcing rules than other members doing so, you know what I mean?

Yeah, I agree. People should really use the function to report a post when they see something sassy.

this is all so exciting.

i hear Blue Room's point that it doesn't ensure that Mercy will be on the album. but this report definitely makes the chances a lot better.

plus, i'm sure the U2 camp knows about the fact that Mercy has been heavily discussed here and at Zootopia(we already know they read fan forums), so that may be extra incentive for the band to fix the song up!

oceane said:
What is a bit strange though is that, like you recalled, Mercy was in fact on Bomb until pretty much the last minute it seems, therefore should have been pretty much finished, no?

Well, I'd say that it must of been nearly finished for U2 to decide to actually print lyrics for Mercy inside the special hardcover book edition of the Bomb. That is a pretty big commitment to a song.

I would also say, after hearing all of this (if it is in fact true), that at the very least, we'll have a B-side release. It will get out there in some official capacity of some sort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom