Mercy - discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is not one of the 1,098,076 threads devoted to requests for Mercy, or debates about its awesomeness (or lack thereof). Rather, I'm curious. Let's say Mercy does make it onto the new album. Does that remove some of the mystique from the song? Does part of Mercy's support on this and other boards stem from the fact that it's a fairly underground U2 track? Does the way that it appeared (mysteriously) give it a bit more interest? And if it does appear on the new album, would fan support of the song shrink?

Thoughts?

I think if it appears on the new album, it will be a different version of the song, so I think opinions will change.

I think that some people, even unconsciously, do feel it has a mystique to it.

To me, it's a good demo that definitely needs to be finished.

I really enjoy the song the way it is. A few tweaks here and there, but not much else. And I love the length, so U2, if you are reworking it in some fashion, do not cut it up into a four minute bastardized version.

I think U2 should not waste space on their new album. I really do hope they can make more interesting songs than the so-called "great" Mercy.

Well, if U2 stays in the rock area (no matter how experimental the next album will be), as Bono said, I don't mind if "Mercy" appears on the next release of the band.
I can guess that it may be reworked, but only to fit on the album spirit. Just like "Velvet Dress" and "If God Will Send His Angels" may have been during its transition from the Zooropa-sessions to Pop; or like "LOve+Peace Or Else" may have been too from ATYCLB to HTDAAB.

One thing I hope is that... they don't edit too much the song. That means, I hope that its lenght isn't shortened. In fact, I'd like the song to be even longer, with a nice intro and a proper outro.

I would rather it be released with the first single. We already have it, and it sounds like most people prefer it as-is, so why want it taking up space on the new album?

I love it, but hopefully it won't be on the album.

I'm hoping that it will be put as the 'bonus single' on the Best of 2000-2010 (we're thinking about that already?).

nathan1977 said:
This is not one of the 1,098,076 threads devoted to requests for Mercy, or debates about its awesomeness (or lack thereof)

Of course, it's not it's completely different.:eyebrow: In "Where the album has no name" we've had that stuff more than a zillion times ... :ohmy:

Even though they elected to leave it off, they still should have finished it back when they were recording HTDAAB. They could have gotten it on a movie soundtrack or a charitable album. Reworking it now when they are supposedly moving in another direction musically could prove a waste of time.

...and now for something completely different.

If Mercy (not a demo but a finished song that almost made it on Bomb) makes it on the next album it may get changed a bit so there's still some mystery. I'd love to see what Eno and Lanois do with it, as I do think it deserves a spot on a U2 album.

I think some of the support may be "it's a *hidden* song" you speak of. It would be interesting to watch what will happen with Mercy support if it appears on the next album.

I don't know. I kind of like its underground status. It feels like there's levels of U2 fandom and those of us who have heard it are in a special echelon. Not sure if that's elitist, but there's something kind of cool about keeping it "inside."

nathan1977 said:
I don't know. I kind of like its underground status. It feels like there's levels of U2 fandom and those of us who have heard it are in a special echelon. Not sure if that's elitist, but there's something kind of cool about keeping it "inside."

That's like the definition of elitist.

But at least now you're sure.

Okay, everyone, I think nathan1977 already clarified that he is aware that there are a lot of "Mercy" threads, but he is asking specific questions about "Mercy", it's not just a general discussion about the song. He made it very clear why he started a separate thread.

Instead of just making comments about how other "Mercy" threads exist, why don't you directly address the questions that nathan1977 presented?

Bonochick said:
Instead of just making comments about how other "Mercy" threads exist, why don't you directly address the questions that nathan1977 presented?

Because that would be like helping fellow Interferencers. Here we only make fun of fellow U2 fans.

if they think mercy is good on an album,why not?i wouldn't consider it a waste of space
they did that with city of blinding lights, and it turned out great

Clark W. Griswold said:
Reworking it now when they are supposedly moving in another direction musically could prove a waste of time.

I agree with this 110%. Although the whole U2 fan base might not know of this song, some of us do.

It would be standing still rather than a step forward. Unless the song is reinvented like the whole "freedom has a scent" lyric that appears in Miracle Drug

Zootlesque said:

Because that would be like helping fellow Interferencers. Here we only make fun of fellow U2 fans.

poster70086380.jpg

Back
Top Bottom