Mercy and Sometimes...sped up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndmaxfield

War Child
Tampa (physically), New York City (mentally)
Was fiddling with my mp3 player, which has a crude option to speed up / slow down songs. I notice that when I speed up Mercy by 1.25x its current pace, what a compelling difference it makes (at least to my ear). I also tried speeding up Sometimes You Can't Make It... At first, it was bizarre, having such a heartfelt song played at the rate of an upbeat rock song. But...with Edge's chimes and Bono's opera-like notes, I'm forming the opinion that Sometimes... would sound great live with a faster tempo (along the lines of Streets, but with a completely different spirit driving the song). When sped up, Sometimes... seems to retain the character of the song, but in a different way that takes away the suffering yet retains its beauty (again, to my ear). Give it a try if your player has this option...

boosterjuice said:
That's one of the weirdest things I've ever read on this forum.

:hmm: I'm not sure you've been here long enough, than. Give it a couple more months.

I'm listening to "Miracle Drug" sped up with Winamp's Signal Processing Studio DSP plug-in. What a trip this place is sometimes.

"THESONGSAREINYOUREYES..."

Now for some hypersonic "Fast Cars." It sounds like I tuned to the Spanish station by accident. The drums sound really cool with some delay (at normal speed), though.

Last edited:
lmjhitman said:
Wouldn't it sound like The Chipmunks?

Nope. You can speed songs up without changing the pitch/key - through the wonders of modern technology. Ditto for changing the pitch/key without changing the tempo.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Nope. You can speed songs up without changing the pitch/key - through the wonders of modern technology. Ditto for changing the pitch/key without changing the tempo.

Cheers,

J

How do you do that...is there a program available? or do you mean in the studio?

Andrew

drewgie said:

How do you do that...is there a program available? or do you mean in the studio?

Andrew

Soundforge.

To divert a little bit off topic, I sped up Vertigo to be a 2 minute song, it did sound amusing with Bono seeming like he was running short of breath.

Cheers,

J

I always do this kind of stuff. Listen to Pride slow down, the solo is particularly beautiful! The rest of the song not so much though. Vertigo speed up is pretty cool! :evil:

Speed up Fast Cars a bit and it will be pretty cool.

In Windows Media Player there's an option to speed up or slow down media without pitch changes (at least they're not noticeable). Go to View / Upgrades / Speed Configuration, something like that.

that audicity thing is good the edge 89...

SYCMOYO...speed 20% sounds like Christian Aguleria (however you spell it)

A lot of u2 songs when sped up 10-15% sound like Stevie Nicks..

By the way ...im doing it to some Nick Cave songs...you have to get it to about 30% to sound feminine

That's nothing, if you play Mofo backwards it's almost completely transcribable, i read about it on U2Wanderer 1c

there's even a part that goes "I love the moose"

I like speeding up and slowing down the opera part Bono does between please and streets from popmart. Sounds awesome!

Also speeding up songs (a tiny bit) on the Elevation tour makes the songs sound more on schedule from the lovetown era. Maybe I'm the only one who noticed the songs seemed slower on the Elevation tour?:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's nothing, if you play Mofo backwards it's almost completely transcribable, i read about it on U2Wanderer 1c

there's even a part that goes "I love the moose"

Well, I thought I had posted about that here on Interference too... had to go back to July to find it: http://forum.interference.com/t92922.html

goat (who's going off to speed up some songs!)

Back
Top Bottom