Mercy and Miricale Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Does anyone else think these are the same song? The guitar sounds similar and the chorus of both songs does sound quite similar? Is it possible that mercy is an early version of MD that got shortened.

Maybe this shows U2 selling out, by taking an epic song and making a 'less' song

No way they are the same song, Mercy was going to be on the album til the last mintute when Larry said they should take it off because the album was too long. Personally I think they made the right decision, Mercy doesn't have the same vibe as the rest of the album. I really, really hope it is an indication of the direction U2 is headed and will be on the next album.

Mercy's song structure isn't really like Miracle Drug's at all. Of course it's possible two songs evolved out of one and there was a "root" song that had elements of both, but I really don't see too many striking similarities. If anything, Miracle Drug sounds more like Beautiful Day.

Mercy is a million times better than Miracle Drug. And for the record, I do like Miracle Drug.

Yeah, the first time I heard Mercy I thought it was Miracle Drug. What's with U2? They do this all the time, having two songs that sound the same.

Running to Stand Still - Mofo

Zoo Station - Sunday Bloody Sunday

One Step Closer - Elevation

The Wanderer - I Will Follow

Why do all their songs sound the exact same? This band really sucks. :down:

inmyplace13 said:
Yeah, the first time I heard Mercy I thought it was Miracle Drug. What's with U2? They do this all the time, having two songs that sound the same.

i agree. Lemon is such a "40" ripoff.

mikal said:

i agree. Lemon is such a "40" ripoff.

I know what you mean. I feel like they just regurgitated the entire War record for Zooropa.

They make me sick.

Mercy sounds nothing like Miracle drug, only thing simalar is that they begin with M, third letter is R, and are by U2.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

Yep you are so right these songs are so simalar, what about Bad and Vertigo, or Discotheque - Shadows and Tall trees

Miracle Drug is my all-time fav U2 song, and Mercy is even better.

inmyplace13 said:

:eyebrow:

inmyplace13 said:

to be honest, i dont think any of these songs sound similiar

Chizip said:

to be honest, i dont think any of these songs sound similiar

I think he wasn't being serious just saying if Miracle Drug saids like mercy then they must sound like that, thats what i thought.

Actually, wasn't Levitate an early version of Miracle Drug? It has some of the same lyrics, although it doesn't sound much like Miracle Drug.

Velvet Dress is a rip off of Bullet the Blue Sky however :mad:

Levitate's just has the 'Freedom has a scent' line in there...nothin else the same, really...
I think [Mercy] sounds quite similar to Miracle Drug. Has the same tempo and sound to it in parts, in my opinion.

Guyz i was being serious! I wasn't saying u2 are ripping themselves off or anything, just that to me the songs do sound like they have similar tones. Maybe their things that im noticing but i came in earlier and it was 1/2 way through playing and i just thought 'christ that sounds like md' so wondered if anyone else felt similar. It seems that all sensible talk on these forums is taken over by sarcasam these days

Miricale_Drug said:
Guyz i was being serious! I wasn't saying u2 are ripping themselves off or anything, just that to me the songs do sound like they have similar tones. Maybe their things that im noticing but i came in earlier and it was 1/2 way through playing and i just thought 'christ that sounds like md' so wondered if anyone else felt similar. It seems that all sensible talk on these forums is taken over by sarcasam these days

sarcasm :drool:

sorry though. I honestly don't see the similarity. I mean they're both from the same era and style of music, so I guess theyre more similar than Wire and Numb or something. But thats about it, imo

Miricale_Drug said:
Guyz i was being serious!

That's the scary part.:wink:

No in all seriousness though it's completely different chord progressions and structure so I'm not sure exactly what you are hearing as being the same.

But it's obviously not a sign of selling out.

2Hearts said:
Miracle Drug is my all-time fav U2 song, and Mercy is even better.
:uhoh: If Miracle Drug is your favourite U2 song, wouldn't that mean that you don't like any U2 song better than Miracle Drug?
Mercy is a U2 song, and if you like it better than Miracle Drug, then wouldn't that make Mercy your favourite U2 song?

In terms of Miracle Drug vs. Mercy, I can't really say because I haven't heard Mercy, but U2 usually make many different songs using the same melody/words/beat/whatever.
Didn't "A Celebration" and "40" have the same drum part, only "40" was slowed down?
And "Always" and "A Man and a Woman" both have the "Soul needs beauty for a soulmate" line.
And "Beautiful Day" was fathered by "Always" and another song that I don't think ever made it to sale.

:reject: And can someone PLEASE send me Mercy? I know you probably dont' want this to turn into a "Can you send me this?" thread, but I'm desperate!! Thanks.
queen_mab@u2.com

:wink:

Last edited:
yes, there are definite similarities between Mercy and Miracle Drug, especially with The Edge. The main verse riffs that Edge plays in both songs are very similar, and both songs have that big one-note-at-a-time-on-the-E-string thing. . . Edge's guitar riff right before the chorus of Miracle Drug and after the last 2 choruses of Mercy. I've noticed the similarities for a long time too, but i think that it's not just Mercy and Miracle Drug. I think Smile, Love You Like Mad, and the original All Because of You and Natve Son all have this certain feel to it that the other new songs don't have, but i dont really know what is. . .

Back
Top Bottom