Mercy and HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
babyman said:
This would have been surely a hit, why haven´t they gave it a deserved place on the album.......................This will ever be a mystery to me

I could be cynical and say it didn't pass the mediocrity test. It was too good for HTDAAB. But maybe that's a bit too cynical.

All I can think is that they planned on holding it back for the next album.

no way is it finished

and would it be the best track on the bomb? yes

would it be the best track post 2000? probably

The song is finished, it almost went on the album.
It's not mastered.

Everyone has the same quality track, it was ripped from an unmastered source, and with respect wasn't ripped at the highest quality it could have been.

the song as we have it has two strikes against it's audio quality and it still stacks up.

I believe it is (was finished). The limited edition cd book makes this quite clear. Not only do you find the lyrics in it, you find a chart of when they finished the songs. Somewhere along the way the track was pulled by the band and this cd book was already completed (or at a point where the production of it could not stop). Maybe the people in charge of the book simply were never told and the evidence of Mercy's existence could no longer be removed.

It is one of their best recent songs and I am sure it'll find the light of day on some future album in some form or rebirthed into several forms.

david said:
They're saving it for the next album titled "How To Kick Ass and Take Names"
hhahah =)
but yeah, i RELALY like this song and i think it's one of the best EVER if not the best ont he album

david said:
They're saving it for the next album titled "How To Kick Ass and Take Names"

NICE.

Yeah, Mercy would definitely be the best track on HTDAAB. But I'm glad they saved it because I think it has a different vibe than the rest of the record. It just better be on the next album.

Yep, it definately would be the best song off bomb.

In a way though I'm kinda glad it's not on it. I mean I have no problems saying bomb is crap at the moment, however if mercy were on it I'd have to say well it's pretty much crap bar this one fucking brilliant song.

It's alot easier labelling bomb without mercy being on it :wink:

financeguy said:

I could be cynical and say it didn't pass the mediocrity test. It was too good for HTDAAB. But maybe that's a bit too cynical.

All I can think is that they planned on holding it back for the next album.

I actually doubt it will end on an album..................it will stay forever in the "good songs limbo"

MaxFisher said:
If a finished and completely produced Mercy was on HTDAAB, would it be the best song on the album?

most likely.
but like others have said, it didn't have the same vibe as the others on the album, so it would be a bit odd on the htdaab album wouldn't it?..

I bet they're going to hold onto it and stash it in some secret place and never release it officially. just to piss us off. :)
and if that happens, they'll play it live one day, and amaze us all :)

Mercy is fast becoming the most overrated song in U2 history.

Mercy's "vibe" is identical to almost everything else on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. It's just another feel-good, vaguely inspirational anthem.

It's not even one-tenth as good as Love and Peace or Else or Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

Ooh you what I was imaging before...I'm at U2's (hopefully) concert in Melbourne. I have had the best time of my life watching the show. It's been fucking awesome. And then for the final song, expecting WuDM or 40, the intro to Mercy starts playing...

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

If Mercy had appeared on HTDAAB, everyone here would be lamenting about how long and meandering and shitty it is. Everyone just gets worked up because it's a leaked song.

Personally, I think it still needs a lot of work and the band made the right decision in cutting it from the album. I hope it appears on the next album or as a b-side, but in it's current state it's by no means the center piece of a great album.

^ I agree that the song is slightly too long and needs some trimming work. Not saying it's a bad song mind.

babyman said:
Do You think others believe it´s a finished version?

Well, two people in this thread already stated as much, so yes.

I don't necessarily think that the version that leaked was the final version, but the article in Spin where the band says they cut the song refers to the length as six and a half minutes, so I suspect it's close.

It's a nice enough song, but it needs work.

Back
Top Bottom