MERCY - a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benh

The Fly
Okay, we've all heard this new song called Mercy and it's brilliant.

Can anyone tell me where on earth it came from? Is it a future b-side?

as far as i remember bono let a fan ride with him in his car while he played a cd-r with mercy on it. he then gave her the cd. i think she mentioned that the rest of the album was on it as well ... and i think she received it before the album was leaked. so she just wasn't very technologically saavy. when she figured out she had an extra song she asked a friend to help her rip it and send it out.

It's a leftover (believe it or not) from the HTDAAB sessions. At 6.30 it was felt to be too long to remain on the record and was not sufficiently polished to be released yet. Maybe in the future?

Anirban said:
as far as i remember bono let a fan ride with him in his car while he played a cd-r with mercy on it. he then gave her the cd. i think she mentioned that the rest of the album was on it as well ... and i think she received it before the album was leaked. so she just wasn't very technologically saavy. when she figured out she had an extra song she asked a friend to help her rip it and send it out.

man, the rumours around here sure do fly. U2SJ got it back in early november at a listening party for the bomb. one of her friends gave it to her (wasn't bono, sorry guys), and when she listened to it, there was this song at the end, which has since been confirmed to be 'mercy'. happily, she shared this discovery with us.

Well it's a brilliant, brilliant song. The only thing is that the high vocals get a bit grating towards the end. Aside from that, it's amazing.

Sound like it's from 1990 or something...

theedge111 said:

Nope it's not there.

:ohmy: WOW

I wonder if the band knows that this gem is out there now?

Do we actually know whether Mercy is an outake from from "Bomb" or not?

What Outtakes on "U2 Complete" come from the "Bomb"?

STING2 said:
Do we actually know whether Mercy is an outake from from "Bomb" or not?

What Outtakes on "U2 Complete" come from the "Bomb"?

The lyrics to Mercy are written in the book that comes with deluxe version of the album.

Are you gunna wait forever (Vertigo b-side)
Smile
Flower Child (incorrectly labelled as from ATYCLB)
Xanax and Wine (early Fast Cars)
All Because of You (Alternate Version)
Native Son (early Vertigo)
Yahweh (Alternate Version)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Alternate Version)

Last edited:
TheWanderer said:

The lyrics to Mercy are written in the book that comes with deluxe version of the album.

Smile

Thanks for that great information! I looked at the book and discovered pictures of boards or equipment with song titles written on them in the middle of the book. Here are some of the song titles I saw:

Love is....Perfecto
Jubilee
Good Morning
Levitate
Snark Soup
Treason
Xanax 1
Xanax 2

Is a song clip of Levitate out there? I've seen discussions about this song I think.

Also, here are two song orders I saw for the album in the book. I like the second one.:

Vertigo
Crumbs From Your Table
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Mercy
Man And A Women
One Step Closer
All Because Of You
Origional Of the Species
Yahweh
Xanax

Mercy
Man + A Women
Miracle Drug
One Step Closer
Crumbs From Your Table
Yahweh
Vertigo
All Because Of You
Origional Of the Species
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
Love + Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights

Levitate is also part of The Complete U2 - it's an ATYCLB outtake. It was on the board as a leftover to work on.

Remember U2 very much brings back songs. Wake Up Dead Man & 'Send Angels were worked on during Zooropa. L&P or Else during ATYCLB. Just some examples, the long list goes on forever.

TheWanderer said:
Levitate is also part of The Complete U2 - it's an ATYCLB outtake. It was on the board as a leftover to work on.

Remember U2 very much brings back songs. Wake Up Dead Man & 'Send Angels were worked on during Zooropa. L&P or Else during ATYCLB. Just some examples, the long list goes on forever.

Thats true. Ever here of the song "Blow Your House Down" from Rattle And Hum outtakes in 1988? The music for "All Because Of You" sounds a little like that.

paulrg said:
It's a leftover (believe it or not) from the HTDAAB sessions. At 6.30 it was felt to be too long to remain on the record and was not sufficiently polished to be released yet. Maybe in the future?

IS is true that it is a leftover from the htdaab sessions ? It sounds like it is from the early 90s. Bonos singing style and the sound of the instruments / instrumentation ?!
I´m curious to get to know more....:scratch:

TheWanderer said:

Smile

has anybody got these tracks?? please send them if so...my hotmail has 250mb now so my inbox can handle them...

anthonypdocherty@hotmail.com

dr.dae said:

IS is true that it is a leftover from the htdaab sessions ? It sounds like it is from the early 90s. Bonos singing style and the sound of the instruments / instrumentation ?!
I´m curious to get to know more....:scratch:

From the recent Blender article: The band is trying to agree on the album's running order. They finally come to the conclusion that there are too many songs.

"So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrified. As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, 'too much of a good thing is a bad thing', so drastic measures need to be taken....
After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track 'Mercy', a six-and-a-half minute outpouring of U2 at its most ininhibitably u2-ish, must go.
Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints, 'the best B-side you've ever heard.'
Later, another more experimental candidate entitled 'Fast Cars' [an Irish-Mexican vibe] gets evictes, and the album becomes a lean and lithe 11 tracks."

i must confess that i'm happy we've got this raw, rough version of 'mercy'. i don't think i would have fell in love with it in quite the same way had we first had a polished album version. however, i am dying with anticipation to see what, if anything, they do with it for release. seems probable that it will be appearing on one of the upcoming singles.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom