Maybe U2 won't tour the new album in the U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've done some research, and let's start by saying 1) this is all speculation. only the band knows what will really happen, and 2) I realize the U.S. received more than it's fair share of u2 this year. Wanting to say too much is not enough, but more importantly: I need to know just how much money I need to save in order to see U2's next tour.
wink.gif

I used the life cycle of the ZooTV and following Zooropa tour to compare to the Elevation and folllowing NewAlbum tour.

ZooTV:

Leg 1) America 3 months (feb-april 92)
*no real break*
Leg 2) Europe 2 months (May-june)
*1 month break*
Leg 3) America - outside broadcast 4 months (Aug-Nov)
*3 month break*
*zooropa released feb 93*
*2 month break*
Leg 4) New Zooland & Japan - Zoomerang Tour- 2 months
(nov-dec)
Total: FEb 92-Dec 93, 23 months (!)

Elevation:

Leg 1) America (feb - june)
Leg 2) Europe (june - aug)
Leg 3) America (oct - dec)

rumors have shows being scheduled for as early as Jan 2002, in countries like Brazil, Argentina, Mexico. Sweden comes into play on July 23rd, 2002 and then Europe.

As of now, this gives the band a 5 month window to play a few more venues, finish and put out the new album, rehearse, and tour NewAlbum in Sweden and onto Europe. (bringing the total for Elevation/NewAlbum to roughly the same amount of months as America) This follows exactly the 5 months used to make, release, and rehearse for Zooropa.

Except they didn't come back to America.

Any speculation? Think they'd come back this time?

Please don't use this as an opportunity to bash me or America as already having seen enough- I know we were spoiled. Or that I should want them to rest, etc- of course I only want the best for them. But I'm just wondering if now, at this point in their careers, would they skip touring America?

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher **

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 01-02-2002).]

I thought some well connected person already said that they would not be back in the U.S. until 2003 and it will be stadiums and this will be after the rest of the world has seen U2 in the summer and fall of 2002. Anyone recall this?

I won't bash ya, girl.
smile.gif

As much as I would love to see them come back here, I really hope that Europe gets more shows, as well as other countries that haven't seen them at all this tour (*coughAustraliacough*). I think they deserve to have some Elevation too!

------------------
The future is so predictable the past is too uncomfortable

I was looking at the stats before too, and I would really doubt it if they came back to the States. I could totally see them doing the ZooTv/Zooropa thing.
Personally they should come back to Canada! We got the royal shaft both legs, but particularly the 3rd leg.
frown.gif
Couldn't you just see gigs in Prince George, Victoria , Medicine Hat, Churchill, St.John... Yeah baby. lol

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

I know I am very spoiled, but I am afraid you're probably right, Olive.
frown.gif
I really do hope they come back though -- it'd be such a shame to miss hearing/seeing new material performed..

------------------
"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

totally right, Angel. I should have included Canada - I'm assuming if they come back to the U.S. they'll give Canada some more shows too.

And I agree - i'd love to see the Australian fans get some U2 love! I want everyone to see them lol.

I want them to come back here too though.

and- YUKKKKK i canNOT picture them going back to stadiums. I hope this isn't an option, although I know legistically it *could* make sense...

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher **

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

it will probably also depend on how the new album will be received

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

U2LA is correct. A well informed Interferencer that has connections with people in the organization did indicate that if everything goes very well with the tour and album they MAY return to the U.S. in the spring of 2003 and play stadiums.

You never know but I will believe it when it actually happens. Certainly history is against this happening.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 01-02-2002).]

Originally posted by spinninghead77:

Of course I would prefer to see them in Arena's again, but since they are coming off the biggest year of their career, they may have to go back to Stadiums. After all, the tickets sold out sooooo fast last time. I don't want to not be able to get a ticket!!

I hate stadiums.
frown.gif
I do agree, they probably will do stadiums again if the album sells really well -- but then again, U2 (at least Bono) has said they prefer arenas, but they couldn't ever get arenas to clear the floor for them. So they stayed in stadiums until 2001. What I want more than anything is GA again! That is/was the best part of the Elevation tour. Let's all hope they don't play in stadiums again.
frown.gif

------------------

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Let's all hope they don't play in stadiums again.
frown.gif
well, I enjoy seeing U2 with 80,000 other U2 nuts around me, so I don't mind stadiums

btw stdiums can have GA too you know

------------------
Salome

angel you should be tarred, feathered, and drug onto the streets and rediculed relentlessly for not including winnipeg on your stupid list.

man do i hate you now.

sorry, you know that part about tarring, feathering and what not i said before? i didnt really mean that.

------------------
-death bear

I find the 2003 U.S.-stadiums rumor hardest to believe, though who knows. They will certainly have to lower their ticket prices A LOT to have any hope of selling out U.S. stadiums in more than 10 cities. And that's even in the best circumstances, with a new hit single, a hit album, lots of corporate sponsors, and mass media interest.

My bet is that they'll end up not doing U.S. stadiums - too many things have to go right for too long, and they're bound to become tour-weary.

Originally posted by sv:
I find the 2003 U.S.-stadiums rumor hardest to believe, though who knows. They will certainly have to lower their ticket prices A LOT to have any hope of selling out U.S. stadiums in more than 10 cities. And that's even in the best circumstances, with a new hit single, a hit album, lots of corporate sponsors, and mass media interest.

My bet is that they'll end up not doing U.S. stadiums - too many things have to go right for too long, and they're bound to become tour-weary.

Ticket prices are supply and demand. If people are willing to pay the price, then it will keep rising. Almost everyshow on the tour sold out last time, including 2, 3, and 4 shows in some cities. I think that people will pay any price to see U2!! I know I would!!

Originally posted by Salome:

btw stdiums can have GA too you know

Yes, of course. I just meant that it was just my favourite part of the Elevation tour. On a related note, I don't think it'd be very fun to wait outside ALL day or more in the heat/cold and then go inside and do that all night, but that's just me.. and I know I'd end up doing it anyway.
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 01-02-2002).]

I think that the plan right now looks like this:
2002 JUNE/JULY-New Album
2002 JUNE/NOVEMBER-Tour Europe and ROW
2003 APRIL-DECEMBER-U.S and Canada!!

Of course I would prefer to see them in Arena's again, but since they are coming off the biggest year of their career, they may have to go back to Stadiums. After all, the tickets sold out sooooo fast last time. I don't want to not be able to get a ticket!!

This is just speculation on my part!!

------------------
Official Dog-Walker of the ScottPhisto Society

I don't mean to be arrogant, but ...I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. - Bono, Rolling Stone, 1981

Originally posted by Salome:
it will probably also depend on how the new album will be received

That's what I was thinking too.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

2002 JUNE/JULY-New Album
so touring the US + Canada will take them 3 months more than Europe + ROW ???

------------------
Salome

Are you seriously saying that?

US and Europe are probably the only 100% sure continents that get to see U2 on each tour.

The way U2's popularity has risen, i think the interest for the new album will be high. So - stadiums or arenas, i think people will be hyped up for the next tour.

ps: Why do Americans who got so much U2 (not just the tour, various TV appearances, NBA show, Super bowl...) feel this urge to whine when's the next time they'll see the band? (definitely sometime after the new album comes out)

On the other hand, i haven't seen anyone on this board who hasn't seen U2 live yet complain about it. (or even worse, think of people who'll never get to see them live)

How strange.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-06-2002).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
US and Europe are probably the only 100% sure continents that get to see U2 on each tour.

If that's true than why didn't the Lovetown tour come to the US? not to mention the Zooropa part of the ZOOTV tour, which is technically the same tour but North America still missed most of the live songs off Zooropa and Rattle & Hum.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
If that's true than why didn't the Lovetown tour come to the US? not to mention the Zooropa part of the ZOOTV tour, which is technically the same tour but North America still missed most of the live songs off Zooropa and Rattle & Hum.

Exactly. Europeans can complain about not getting enough Elevation dates SO FAR, but at least they haven't been entirely ignored on TWO tours in the past. American fans missed out on Rattle and Hum and Zooropa live.
Quit your whining.

MAP

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
I won't bash ya, girl.
smile.gif

As much as I would love to see them come back here, I really hope that Europe gets more shows, as well as other countries that haven't seen them at all this tour (*coughAustraliacough*). I think they deserve to have some Elevation too!

Awww girl.. What happened to the selfish American spirit.. Y'kno.. I would love to have more U2.. but I feel the same way... Besides.. we've always got boots.. Go Australia..

i think U2 like america. i think they'll be back.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

I think Lovetown went to places U2 hadn't been to in a long time. I dunno, I also read somewhere that U2 didn't tour the US during Lovetown because of all the negative press the movie got and stuff like that.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

So far, North America has been spoiled. I hope Europe and the ROTW gets to see their fair share. that said, if U2 churns out another Zooropa, and N.A. is denied shows, I will be PISSED!

Hopefully the tapers are in abundance outside of N.A.
smile.gif
. Keep 'em comin'!!

Originally posted by U2girl:
Are you seriously saying that?

The way U2's popularity has risen, i think the interest for the new album will be high. So - stadiums or arenas, i think people will be hyped up for the next tour.

ps: Why do Americans who got so much U2 (not just the tour, various TV appearances, NBA show, Super bowl...) feel this urge to whine when's the next time they'll see the band? (definitely sometime after the new album comes out)

On the other hand, i haven't seen anyone on this board who hasn't seen U2 live yet complain about it. (or even worse, think of people who'll never get to see them live)

How strange.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-06-2002).]

if you look at my first post, you'll see why I asked in the first place.

and how strange- i never said i don't want anyone else to see them.
rolleyes.gif

The reason why Americans are wondering about U2's next appearance in America is because U2 is a drug. We are all hopelessly addicted to U2 and are dying for our next "fix" I don't think they will return for a long time. Even if they continue their immense popularity, they just don't do well in stadiums here. South America and some of Europe has the great fanatics that would fill stadiums (although they deserve to see U2 in arenas too)

------------------
I had the loudest mouth. When we formed the group, I was the lead guitar player, singer and songwriter. Nobody talked back at first. But then they talked me out of being lead guitar player and into being the rythm guitar player and into just being the singer. And then they tried to talk me out of being the singer and into being the manager. But I held on to that. Arrogance may have been the reason. - Bono

As a vehicle it has its limitations: it probably wouldn't get you to work and back. But it could make someone a fantastic cocktail bar. - Edge on the lemon

Originally posted by SkeeK:

Yeah, but US still saw them at JT tour and Zoo tv, right?

I meant that the basic tours for the albums always come to US and Europe. (Lovetown and Zooropa are basically legs of JT and Zoo TV tour, only with different songs, so they don't really count as tours. Additionally, they have been to places less often visited by U2 for a change - Asia, New Zealand and Australia. How dare they, right? Besides AB and JT are better albums than Zooropa or R&H, you got to hear the better two IMO)

Hmmm - 7 months of Zoo tv in US vs. 2 months of Zooropa for New Zealand and Japan vs. 2 months of Zoo tv in Europe.
Oh yeah, what a bad deal for Americans.
rolleyes.gif

Besides, olive, my post wasn't about you alone. I was reffering to others Americans who have been whining "when will U2 come back" too. It's not fair to do that while the rest of the world (and i'm not talking about Europe, although it should get more than it did, and the rumored Europe summer tour is only for a few weeks, says Bono) lacks U2 shows.

After all, U2 has been touring US even before fame hit with JT. (War tour, if not even earlier)

What about some Elevation for Australia, Asia, South America or (shock horror) places they have never been yet?

I know that US is the biggest music market in the world - i realise the band spends a lot of time touring there (perhaps even most of the time on tour), and i guess it comes down to strategy as to where the band will play. (the bigger the market, the bigger the odds)
It just makes me mad seeing Americans (of all people) ramble about when the next tour comes, and Elevation only ended last month. And they only just started working on the new album.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-07-2002).]

Somebody else is sure to point this out, but wasn't Lovetown basically just an extension of the Joshua Tree Tour, and Zooropa (Zoomerang et al) an extension of ZooTV? How exactly have North American fans missed out?

------------------
"I could walk into this room
and the waves of conversation
are enough
to knock you down
with the undertow

soooo alone..."

2002 JUNE/JULY-New Album

I think thats a little optimistic!

I understand that you all want to see U2 again, but don't forget that they toured NA TWICE last year, only spending 2 months in Europe. Most of you managed to see them at least once... compared with Australian fans who have to make do with a copy of the DVD. Hardly any Irish fans got to see them either as most of the tickets for Slane went to people abroad as it was the end of the tour.

I think the tour in 2002 will be in stadiums, but I'll just be gratefull to be able to see them play, whatever the venue is like!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom