Maybe, just maybe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
With all this new mateiral which the band is rumored to have written, it's not all that much dissimilar to the Acthung Baby outtakes....

Well...maybe,...can we ask for, say, another Acthung Baby and Zooropa?

:shocked: :combust: :hyper: :bow: :yes: :D

:macdevil:

I think that during this time, there have been two albums "completed". There was one that was almost done but Bono threw a couple of tracks into the garbage......this album will be some of the tracks from the Thomas production....and the Lillywhite production....albeit some of the songs from the Lillywhite section will be brand new....not just reworkings of the older (Thomas) stuff.

The Achtung Baby Outtakes are very much a "live" recording, so basically, it was the working demos, meaning that nothing was edited down, just roughly mixed for listening at a later time to "preserve" the good stuff.

I am sure that U2 have probably 50 hours of music recorded during the last 2 1/2 years. Most of it rewrites, improvs, jams, etc. Thats what the songs are born out of.

As for Achtung/Zooropa, yeah ideally I'd love to see that happen, but I think thats ideally what they wanted to do right after Elevation, go right back in the studio and record. Well, they did and it didn't turn out that way, even after Adam had said they had an albums worth of material ready to go. Basically meaning that at least a skeleton of 10 or 12 songs was left over from the ATYCLB sessions.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for it, it's taken over 2 years just to take the leftovers from ATYCLB, rewrite them, write and record additional music and they are still only now "apparently" mixing.

At this point I am hoping for more than 11 tracks on the album and at least 3 or 4 B-sides. Keeping with U2 and their recent history.

I'd bet we get about 15 songs for this album (B-sides included). And if the boys could just relax and trust their audience, then we might get another 'Zooropa-like album' in 2 years. Hopefully, but not likely.

Here's to hoping they just put the fucking album out in the next 6 months. :)

I have to believe, from what I read, that they are going to put the very best 12 tracks on this album.

Remember when they said they went here or there to record something, and simply wern't happy with them? An artists tends to get fed up with iffy work, and usually hate to release such things immediatly. The sort of "I'm not sure about this" type of stuff takes time to grow on its creater.

I think that u2 feels that they got burnt on Pop and are now taking their tiem to produce a record that they really feel that they have given their all to - hasn't Bono been quoted as saying something along the lines that they are creating the music that they always wanted to? I am getting impatient but at least we know the boys are working on a new album - an AB/Z type of phenom would be excellent - that is the time period that I got hooked into a full on u2 fan
That being said, if a new album doesn't appear around oct/nov I will have some issues since I am ready for a tour

I think this album is gonna be different. They brought in a new producer and I'm sure Lillywhite was brought in to steer them in the right path. I remember reading somewhere that the album (songs) sound like Auctung Baby/War. I'm still putting my bet on a very direct rock n roll album. Ala White Stripes, Motorcycle Club, Pixies type sound. Whatever it is I'm 100% it will be great. U2 doesn't put out crap albums.

zoopop said:
I think this album is gonna be different.

I don't know what to think anymore with all these names coming up - Lillywhite, Thomas and Jacknife Lee were official, and rumors of Lanois and Iovine.

:shrug:

out of those 5 names though
- Thomas and Lillywhite will get production credits
- I initially thought Jacknife Lee was just brought on for some singles remixes, but perhaps he has taken the role Lillywhite has had a lot in the past (esp. on Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby) which would be remixing a couple of album tracks that needed some work
- I wouldn't be surprised if Lanois and Iovine wouldn't get credited for anything
they may be producers but they are also friends of the band
so of course they will want their opinion anyway

if this should be true the new album would have as many people working on it as just about every other U2 album since Joshua Tree
so nothing really shocking

I think Lanois (additional production?) and Iovine (mixing?/ additional production?) might be credited too. I think Jacknife Lee probably is coproducing.
Maybe Lillywhite will also mix the album, when/if he gets back in Dublin from his wedding?

They used 1 producer for the first three albums and Rattle and Hum, and 2 for JT, UF, AB and ATYCLB, 3 for Zooropa and I think 2 for POP.
With this album, we have 3 confirmed people working on the album already, and 2 additional names that might be also credited - 5 names is U2's all-time high AFAIK.

Last edited:
iovine is a record exec now and rarely gets involved in the actuall mixing/production of records... he was there with other universal execs, so i think it's clearly a case of them getting a sneak peak and going over promotion details, etc etc... greasing the wheels for the big u2 train that's commin' our way, so to speak.

if I were to guess I'd say the new abum will use Chris Thomas and Steve Lillywhite for producers, (maybe Daniel Lanois will be credited for additional production). The mixers will be Flood, Lillywhite, Jacknife Lee, and Richard Rainey.

Iovine will have no role in anything, except bigwig executive stuff

I think there'll be roughly the same number of those involved as on the last album

I wonder when the bigwigs are gonna tell the band to leak some material haha.

But you have to wonder...are U2 doing something really big and different, or is this kind of like a car crash where everyone comes by to stare?

In other words, were all these guys called in for their individual flavor, or because they were in trouble and needed help from everyone?

I think people are reading too much into stuff...U2 have amassed lots of friends in the industry, and i'm sure Lanois is just giving input as a friend rather than in a paid role. If Iovine is involved at all with the production of the album (which I doubt), that's probably also unofficialy.

Back
Top Bottom