Masterpieces since ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
It's been almost a year since the release of ATYCLB... how many masterpieces have other bands released since then? I'll go compile my list, feel free to post yours now.
smile.gif

------------------
The King has spoken!

PLEBA- You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :)

Tpyos skcu

Flickerstick- "Welcoming Home The Astronauts"

Well, to be objective this album has some filler on it. The weak songs took me a while to get into. The casual fan would not like a couple of them, but the rest of the album is excellent. From great rock songs and a couple of pop-rockers to longer and atmospheric songs, the entire album is VERY ambitious for a debut. What really makes me love it is that it is not a great album, but it shows their potential to really make a great one soon.
smile.gif

Recomended songs to hear:
Coke
Beautiful / Sorry...Wrong Trajectory (They play better as a duo)
Direct line to the telepathic

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 09-19-2001).]

Neil Finn's new solo album, One Nil, which came out earlier this year, is brilliant. I bought it and his previous solo album, Try Whistling This, at almost the same time a few weeks ago. I love both of them but probably like TWT a bit more. I love Crowded House and I love Neil Finn's solo stuff too--maybe more than Crowded House. Trouble with One Nil is that it isn't officially available in North America. He's not popular enough here! That really bugs me. Yes, I like U2 better, but Neil Finn might simply be the best songwriter alive today. I say that also although I have been a confirmed Sting fanatic for years. I would entertain the possibility that Neil Finn is a better songwriter than Sting. Anyway, if you see One Nil in North America it will be expensive because it's an Australian import but it's totally worth it. It wasn't even fabulously expensive for me--about $21 Canadian, but it was on sale. The songs are just perfect SONGS, and they have this quality I love, they tend to sound upbeat but they have a bitter taste--I can cry listening to his music and hardly even know why.

------------------
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned

-W.B. Yeats

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 09-19-2001).]

Bob Dylan- Love and Theft
Live- V

Those are the two most recent I can think of..

------------------
The King has spoken!

PLEBA- You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :)

Tpyos skcu

Radiohead - Amnesiac is borderline. I don't think it breaks as much new ground, but it is an incredibly depressing album.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
It came out yesterday and it's already a masterpiece? Hmmm...

Hey. I think it is. In terms of their career, it's monumental. Of course it's premature, but still...

I agree with Unforgettable Lemon!

Live-V is simply a masterpiece. I have always loved Live, but have never been able to listen to their albums all the way through. Until now, this album is so amazing that I actually haven't listened to U2 in 2 days, which is a long time!

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

OutKast and PJ Harvey came out the same day as ATYCLB, so I think that counts.

Dylan's Love & Theft- not much to say, though I don't like it as much as TIME OUT OF MIND, this work is really great, as Dylan described it "A Greatest Hits album without the Hits."

Radiohead - Amnesiac is borderline. I don't think it breaks as much new ground, but it is an incredibly depressing album.
I think the album is genius. And I must be really f***ed up in the head, because I Seem to be the only person I know who can listen to it and feel uplifted. I really don't think it's depressing at all.

Am I the only one?

David Bowie's ALL SAINTS is pure genuis and though all the tracks have been released before in one form or the other, the sequence of them on this collection really makes it cohesive and moving, amazing stuff.

Tricky's BLOWBACK, Squarepusher and Tori Amos all miss the masterpiece limit in my opnion by a couple songs.

Bjork's VESPERTINE I think is a masterpiece and each time I listen it gets better and deeper.

Authechre's CONFIELD is brilliant, but incredibly hard to get into, it gave me migraines for many listens, but it really does grow and start to make sense. It's most definitly future music, but It's almost inaccessable to a casual listener.

I can't remember when AMERICAN III by Johnny Cash came out, I think it was before U2, but I think it's supreme, especially his cover of Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat.

POD's latest is almost there and by far their best, but I think they still got an album or two to go before they really break out.

David Byrne's LOOK INTO THE EYEBALL is some of his best pop solo stuff.

Tool and Weezer also put out almost perfect albums, though I think I have overplayed them to the point where I'll need extended time off.

There are only a few albums I can't wait for, Tenacious D and Aphex Twin being among them. The Aphex one especially, it's going to be a double disc. There's also a M(U-ziq) rerelease of Tango N Vectif which will be a double album combining the vinyl and cd versions previously released.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

Masterpiece:
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease Down the Road

extremely good:
R.E.M. - Reveal
Tindersticks - Can our Love ...

I can't wait for that new Aphex TWin album either
smile.gif

------------------
Shake it, shake it, shake it

hermes you mean you've already bought and assessed Tori's new album? It only came out Sept 18th.

I think Sparklehorse's It's A Wonderful Life is a masterpiece. Don't you folks agree?

foray

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part (his 2nd masterpiece in a row after "The Boatman's Call)
Travis - The Invisble Band (one of the best "tunes" or "singles" record I've heard for a while, quite different to their previous record "The Man Who", which is a masterpiece, too)

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Neil Finn's new solo album, One Nil, which came out earlier this year, is brilliant.

Scatter, YOU'RE THE MAN!

I LOVE Neil Finn and Crowded House!
"One Nil" has indeed some of his best songs EVER. "Driving me Mad", "Anytime", "Turn and Run"... Lisa Germano was a perfect choice to collaborate with. And the amazing Michael Froom is responsible for the production, too! Brilliant stuff. I've heard some of his bootlegs-shows from this tour and they were fantastic. Check out the Borderline gig if you haven't got it already!
His music is uplifting and so sad at the same time. And he still writes very beautiful and touching melodies, like the good old CH days.
wink.gif

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

foray
hermes you mean you've already bought and assessed Tori's new album? It only came out Sept 18th.

I have no life I suppose. I got it at noon after my tuesday college class ended and listened to it and have been listening to it almost non-stop since.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

[This message has been edited by hermes (edited 09-20-2001).]

personally i think the best albums of the year apart from u2 for me would have to be;

REM-Reveal;
pj harvey-stories etc;
Travis-the invisible band,(my fave!!)

cheers.

------------------
poptart33

definitely Bob Dylan's Love and Theft. in continued heavy rotation along with ATYCLB in my house. the kids are boppin' to it...and they don't bop to everything...well they also love "who let the dogs out" and do i dare write this "bye,bye,bye"

lllelllevvaaaayton as my two year old says it

Originally posted by Sledgehammer:

Scatter, YOU'RE THE MAN!

I'm the woman
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm glad someone else discovered this great album
smile.gif
Driving Me Mad is a perfect example of the bittersweet thing. Sounds like a bouncy happy little number, but hits me right in the heart as well. Or Anytime--little did I think it would be about death. Or the last bit of Into the Sunset. It took me a while to get into that song, but now the last bit--after it sounds like it's ending, then comes back--puts tears in my eyes every time. "And I'm away from home, and it's a way of life, and I'm flying high, and I'm a wheeling gull..." I get chills just thinking about it.

I haven't heard any of Neil Finn's or CH's live recordings yet
frown.gif
I don't think they have an easily available live album, do they? I know the greatest hits had a limited edition live CD with it but I didn't get it. A friend of mine has it though--he's basically responsible for making me a CH fan. He saw Neil Finn in concert a few years ago and got on stage and sang with him!! I have to borrow that CD from him.

Neil Finn is very cute too. To quote the title of a CH song, I am in love.
biggrin.gif

Mercury Rev - All Is Dream

Great stuff, also recieved universal superb reviews, and is also a superb album, but does anyone have it?! It's my 2nd Mercury Rev album, the other was Deserter Songs, they are one really great band.

Originally posted by soctheo:

November 5, radiohead will be releasing an 8 song live ep with true love waits on it as well.

I'm really looking forward to this one. True Love Waits is fantastic! There are so many amazing Radiohead songs that haven't been released yet. Hopefully their next album will include studio versions of True Love Waits, Big Boots and Follow Me Around! It's unlikely but at least I can hope.

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Or Anytime--little did I think it would be about death.

Yeah, it surely has to do with the passing of time. Very honest and strong lyrics.
There's always a positive message, though.

...find the meaning of the act
remember how it goes
everytime you take the water
you swim against the flow

and the world is all around me
the days are flying past
and fear is so contagious
but I'm not afraid to laugh

...I could go anytime
there's nothing safe about this life

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

Well, for me Amnesiac is truly one of the greatest albums in music history. It just really connected with me this past year. I'll stop there...

The other great album of the year was Built to Spill's "Ancient Melodies of the Future."

BTW, my top 3 fav songs of the year (i know, off topic):
"The Weather," Built to Spill
"Spinning Plates," Radiohead
"In a Little While," U2 (too bad it wasn't a single)

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Mercury Rev - All Is Dream

Great stuff, also recieved universal superb reviews, and is also a superb album, but does anyone have it?! It's my 2nd Mercury Rev album, the other was Deserter Songs, they are one really great band.

Well, I don't think the new one is better than the previous, as many critics believe, but it's still something innovative, ahead of its time.
'Nite and Fog' and 'Dark is Rising' are my favorites, but the whole album slowly grows on me.

If you like their stuff, check out Sparklehorse's new cd! Mark Linkous' music is insired by Mercury Rev (and vice versa maybe) and they're very similar in a way.

------------------

I'm a huge radiohead fan and even i was slightly dissapointed by amnesiac. Its a good album as it stand now but it could have been way better. Radiohead have a reputation of leaving some of the better material off their album in favor of songs if the tracklisting gells better.

Check out these Amnesiac bsides: FOG, WORRYWORT, and CUTTOOTH. They are honestly better than anything on the album. In fact CUTTOOTH was on the early pressing of Amnesiac that went to journalists but was taken off the album at the last minute because Thom Yorke didn't think the song fit in with the rest of the album.

November 5, radiohead will be releasing an 8 song live ep with true love waits on it as well.

soctheo@hotmail.com

Originally posted by TheU2:
I think the word "Masterpiece" is being diluted because of this thread.

You got a point. I admit it, my choice wasn't either but I got my shameless plug in so I'm happy.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 09-20-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom