Masterpieces since ATYCLB - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2001, 10:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Masterpieces since ATYCLB

It's been almost a year since the release of ATYCLB... how many masterpieces have other bands released since then? I'll go compile my list, feel free to post yours now.

------------------
The King has spoken!

PLEBA- You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Tpyos skcu

Old 09-19-2001, 10:39 PM   #2
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Flickerstick- "Welcoming Home The Astronauts"

Well, to be objective this album has some filler on it. The weak songs took me a while to get into. The casual fan would not like a couple of them, but the rest of the album is excellent. From great rock songs and a couple of pop-rockers to longer and atmospheric songs, the entire album is VERY ambitious for a debut. What really makes me love it is that it is not a great album, but it shows their potential to really make a great one soon.

Recomended songs to hear:
Coke
Beautiful / Sorry...Wrong Trajectory (They play better as a duo)
Direct line to the telepathic

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 09-19-2001).]

Old 09-19-2001, 10:47 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Neil Finn's new solo album, One Nil, which came out earlier this year, is brilliant. I bought it and his previous solo album, Try Whistling This, at almost the same time a few weeks ago. I love both of them but probably like TWT a bit more. I love Crowded House and I love Neil Finn's solo stuff too--maybe more than Crowded House. Trouble with One Nil is that it isn't officially available in North America. He's not popular enough here! That really bugs me. Yes, I like U2 better, but Neil Finn might simply be the best songwriter alive today. I say that also although I have been a confirmed Sting fanatic for years. I would entertain the possibility that Neil Finn is a better songwriter than Sting. Anyway, if you see One Nil in North America it will be expensive because it's an Australian import but it's totally worth it. It wasn't even fabulously expensive for me--about $21 Canadian, but it was on sale. The songs are just perfect SONGS, and they have this quality I love, they tend to sound upbeat but they have a bitter taste--I can cry listening to his music and hardly even know why.

------------------
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned

-W.B. Yeats

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Bob Dylan- Love and Theft
Live- V

Those are the two most recent I can think of..

------------------
The King has spoken!

PLEBA- You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Tpyos skcu
Old 09-19-2001, 11:00 PM   #5
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Live- V
It came out yesterday and it's already a masterpiece? Hmmm...

Old 09-19-2001, 11:02 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Radiohead - Amnesiac is borderline. I don't think it breaks as much new ground, but it is an incredibly depressing album.

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 09-19-2001, 11:03 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
It came out yesterday and it's already a masterpiece? Hmmm...

Hey. I think it is. In terms of their career, it's monumental. Of course it's premature, but still...
Old 09-19-2001, 11:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern:
Radiohead - Amnesiac is borderline. I don't think it breaks as much new ground, but it is an incredibly depressing album.

my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:13 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I agree with Unforgettable Lemon!

Live-V is simply a masterpiece. I have always loved Live, but have never been able to listen to their albums all the way through. Until now, this album is so amazing that I actually haven't listened to U2 in 2 days, which is a long time!

------------------
Cookie Manwhore
Old 09-20-2001, 01:35 AM   #10
Acrobat

OutKast and PJ Harvey came out the same day as ATYCLB, so I think that counts.

Dylan's Love & Theft- not much to say, though I don't like it as much as TIME OUT OF MIND, this work is really great, as Dylan described it "A Greatest Hits album without the Hits."

Quote:
I think the album is genius. And I must be really f***ed up in the head, because I Seem to be the only person I know who can listen to it and feel uplifted. I really don't think it's depressing at all.

Am I the only one?

David Bowie's ALL SAINTS is pure genuis and though all the tracks have been released before in one form or the other, the sequence of them on this collection really makes it cohesive and moving, amazing stuff.

Tricky's BLOWBACK, Squarepusher and Tori Amos all miss the masterpiece limit in my opnion by a couple songs.

Bjork's VESPERTINE I think is a masterpiece and each time I listen it gets better and deeper.

Authechre's CONFIELD is brilliant, but incredibly hard to get into, it gave me migraines for many listens, but it really does grow and start to make sense. It's most definitly future music, but It's almost inaccessable to a casual listener.

I can't remember when AMERICAN III by Johnny Cash came out, I think it was before U2, but I think it's supreme, especially his cover of Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat.

POD's latest is almost there and by far their best, but I think they still got an album or two to go before they really break out.

David Byrne's LOOK INTO THE EYEBALL is some of his best pop solo stuff.

Tool and Weezer also put out almost perfect albums, though I think I have overplayed them to the point where I'll need extended time off.

There are only a few albums I can't wait for, Tenacious D and Aphex Twin being among them. The Aphex one especially, it's going to be a double disc. There's also a M(U-ziq) rerelease of Tango N Vectif which will be a double album combining the vinyl and cd versions previously released.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy
Old 09-20-2001, 01:44 AM   #11
Zen
The Fly

Masterpiece:
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Ease Down the Road

extremely good:
R.E.M. - Reveal
Tindersticks - Can our Love ...

I can't wait for that new Aphex TWin album either

------------------
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 09-20-2001, 05:00 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:46 AM
hermes you mean you've already bought and assessed Tori's new album? It only came out Sept 18th.

I think Sparklehorse's It's A Wonderful Life is a masterpiece. Don't you folks agree?

foray
Old 09-20-2001, 05:01 AM   #13
The Fly

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part (his 2nd masterpiece in a row after "The Boatman's Call)
Travis - The Invisble Band (one of the best "tunes" or "singles" record I've heard for a while, quite different to their previous record "The Man Who", which is a masterpiece, too)
Old 09-20-2001, 06:27 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 09:46 PM
I agree with the Travis and R.E.M. bits.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:25 AM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Neil Finn's new solo album, One Nil, which came out earlier this year, is brilliant.

Scatter, YOU'RE THE MAN!

I LOVE Neil Finn and Crowded House!
"One Nil" has indeed some of his best songs EVER. "Driving me Mad", "Anytime", "Turn and Run"... Lisa Germano was a perfect choice to collaborate with. And the amazing Michael Froom is responsible for the production, too! Brilliant stuff. I've heard some of his bootlegs-shows from this tour and they were fantastic. Check out the Borderline gig if you haven't got it already!
His music is uplifting and so sad at the same time. And he still writes very beautiful and touching melodies, like the good old CH days.

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen