Mary J Blige's "One" - ALL of U2!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's starts off ok, but by the end I want to punch her.

(im not condoning violence against women - just against song murdering)

gabrielvox said:

You have to be fucking kidding me.

Do any of you people even KNOW her music??

Way to go U2 - keep showin em how its done.

Yeah, I know her music. :| I fucking hate it. I cannot stand R&B/soul at all.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ya see, as people age, their voices sometimes change.

maybe someday when you're a big boy, you'll notice this, too!

bonos voice did not change it just got vorse and vorse day by day!!

this song is proof!!

look at pavarotti !! his voice is going strong!!
bono cant use his falsetto anymore and that clarity that he had is gone!! the voice of u2 has gone!!a big reason why the new albums and songs are not as good as their previous work!!

listen to how bono sings the first line on this version and then listen to the original version!! peace!

i like the music in this version, but her vocals absolutely kill it. it'd be a nice version without her in it, but i guess that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? eh.

this song is just done to death. it's starting to lose its meaning, at least for me.

shaun vox said:
look at pavarotti !! his voice is going strong!!

To compare pavarotti´s voice to Bono´s makes no sense. Pavarotti has a trained classical voice, Bono does not, he is a rock singer.

I actually wonder that Bono got so much of his voice left after, what, nearly 30 years in the business.

Do you know how careful classical singers are with their voice, compared to rock singers?

to all the haters - have you ever listened to soul?

imagine: "aretha, could you tone it down at the end?"

XHendrix24 said:

A lot of people on this forum shit on anything that isn't U2. Don't worry about them. :wink:

:rolleyes:

People always use that argument when someone says something negative against U2's collaborations. Some of the people here who are criticising Mary J. Blige's contribution to One listen to and enjoy a rather wide variety of music.

GibsonGirl said:

:rolleyes:

People always use that argument when someone says something negative against U2's collaborations. Some of the people here who are criticising Mary J. Blige's contribution to One listen to and enjoy a rather wide variety of music.

A wide variety of rock music, maybe. Rock music is only a small part of music in general.

I mean, I'm sure there are some people who gave it a chance but simply don't like this version. But I'm 100% sure there are others who dismissed it before even hearing it. Surely you wouldn't disagree with that?

Good version, and I enjoyed Mary J Blige's vocal at the Katrina benefit and this version.

Good point how "Bano" doesn't sound like 14 years ago (don't even compare an opera singer to a rock singer). I'd rather side with most people who can see the clear improvement in his voice now compared to Popmart and Elevation tours. Oh and he hasn't had clarity in his voice since 91. Edge can do the falsetto, anyway I'll take his high notes over that anytime.

Guess I have to thank U2 for ruining One for me. They keep doing these things. I have no idea why they feel like touching a classic or why they do things like this. I think I'll put on the Johnny Cash version now.

XHendrix24 said:

A wide variety of rock music, maybe. Rock music is only a small part of music in general.

I mean, I'm sure there are some people who gave it a chance but simply don't like this version. But I'm 100% sure there are others who dismissed it before even hearing it. Surely you wouldn't disagree with that?

That's making a rather broad generalisation (I, for instance, listen to techno, classical, and folk when I'm not listening to rock.)

And there probably are a lot of people out there who didn't bother to listen to it before commenting on it. But that's not to say that those same people like U2 and only U2. And if you know you hate Mary J. Blige's style of music, chances are you're going to hate this version of One regardless of how many chances you give it...so why listen to it anyway?

I tried to give it a chance, but it really didn't do anything for me. :shrug: The instrumental side of it was fine, and that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

gabrielvox said:

No way you could have heard it all and hate it all. Especially in Newfoundland

:wink:

What does living in Newfoundland have to do with anything?

Back
Top Bottom