Mary J Blige on American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan05

War Child
I don't know if this has been discussed already. But, MJB is signing One on American Idol. She should be banned from signing the song again and the rights revoked for combining U2 with that atrocity of a show

We can debate that ( I still much prefer the original). That still doesnt excuse her for signing it on American Idol and allowing a Karaoke signer to duet with her. I wonder if U2 allowed and/or knows about this.

of course U2 know about it, they own the rights, they have to give permission to MJB when she is going to sing it and when any of their songs are done on American idol type shows

zepher25 said:
of course U2 know about it, they own the rights, they have to give permission to MJB when she is going to sing it and when any of their songs are done on American idol type shows
...do you think that could have changed a bit since she recorded the song with them and it's on her album....iono, just wondering if she now has a right to use her version of the song wherever she wants.....cuz if so, that would kinda suck

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You sure about this?

Can't say, but it's almost a given.
I just saw a commercial, again, for the ABC fall show line up, with the One version - Bono and Mary J singing as scenes from the ABC shows. Ended with saying ABC is the "ONE" network..
It showed a snippet of Mary J but not Bono.
and I know his voice.
This is the second time I've seen it..

I don't think U2 has to give her permission to sing it whereever it's performed.

I know they sanctioned her recorded version, even playing on it with her, but do people even need permission to record someones song? I know you need to get permission to sample an original version, but as far as I know, so long as the proper credit is given and the royalties are distributed correctly you can record a cover of someones tune. I remember reading somewhere that Bono wasn't too happy with the Pet Shop Boys version of Streets.

I could be wrong but that's always been my understanding

As far as the ABC promo, I would think they would have to give permission for that, again I'm not sure.

I guess i didn't clear things up

:huh:

Last edited:
I think the music and media industries are pretty airtight about rights and clearances. Otherwise, they are open to lawsuits.

sue4u2 said:

Can't say, but it's almost a given.
I just saw a commercial, again, for the ABC fall show line up, with the One version - Bono and Mary J singing as scenes from the ABC shows. Ended with saying ABC is the "ONE" network..
It showed a snippet of Mary J but not Bono.
and I know his voice.
This is the second time I've seen it..

This was obnoxious. I know U2 has used there music to promo sporting events and such, but have they ever soldout to the degree that ABC is the "ONE" network. This makes me sick. How about any other song than One for God's sake?

Mark---it's the beginning of the end

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I don't think U2 has to give her permission to sing it whereever it's performed.

I know they sanctioned her recorded version, even playing on it with her, but do people even need permission to record someones song? I know you need to get permission to sample an original version, but as far as I know, so long as the proper credit is given and the royalties are distributed correctly you can record a cover of someones tune. I remember reading somewhere that Bono wasn't too happy with the Pet Shop Boys version of Streets.

As far as the ABC promo, I would think they would have to give permission for that, again I'm not sure.

This is how I understand it:

It's complicated because anyone has to get permission to use anything that is copyrighted.....technically (covers are strange).

There are two different liscences in this instance, one is for the publisher (songwriter) and the other is for the owner of the master version (label).

When U2 did One with Mary J or however you slice it, she had to get permission to do it, obviously she did, now she has her own version of it. I don't know who owns the master rights to THAT recording, but whoever owns that version has to give permission.
And most importantly, the publisher (songwriter) has to give permission as well. This is why you wouldn't find Clay Aiken sellign gap jeans with his version of Where The Streets Have No Name. So U2 did have to give that permission (for the ABC ad).

Which brings me to covers, anyone can do a cover, technically you are supposed to get permission but usually the two parties will workout some agreement, I forget the name, mechanical liscence maybe (there are so many technicalities about liscenscing and I am no expert). Anyhow, the idea is that it's hardly ever contested. This is how I understand that (covers).

But whoever owns the master tapes (be that Universal or Mary J' label, maybe it's the same, I have no idea) has to give permission and U2 certainly does to use this is a commercial or advertisement.

They had to liscence the ESPN and CBS ads for sporting events as well. Basically, in the end, they give permission for eveythign but covers, and even 'technically' then.

Edit* to say
This could have been part of the deal with ESPN/ABC, U2 might very well have liscened X number of songs to them, or all of them. I think in the case of CBS (Viacom, who owns MTV by the way) they only liscened a few songs for the NFL. DO they make money off of it? Someone in their camp does. My guess is that any money in U2's pocket from these things goes to One.org and DATA.

Last edited:
For ESPN and U2, no money has exchanged hands....I know this is a fact...both are using each other for free publicity.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Now that pet shop boys song was utterly shocking and I couldnt believe at the time and still cant get my head around it now that U2 would have had anything to do with that.

I can believe they endorsed or acknowledged the soul singer that covered still havent found (it was rubbish and cant remember who did it) and that irish girls group that covered all i want is you (also rubbish). They always said Still havenet found was a soul singers song or along those lines and the irish girls were irish so may have had support.

I have to say aswell that the original 'One' is the best version by a mile and having MJB howl all over it only detracts from its quality.

Journey South wwho made it to the final of X Factor also covered U2 and one of the songs is on their album. Think it was Still Havent Found again. Terrible version!!

I generally enjoy covers of songs I like, but U2 songs I generally have not wanted to hear another covered by other bands.

Not that I object too strenuously when it happens, but I'm just not that interested. . .

Don't know why.

Cher sang "I still haven't found" during her shows and I saw Jack Black perform "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in concert, he even had a guy with a white flag traipsing around the stage. :laugh:

This version is her song on her record and she sure would have permission to promote it as she sees fit, American Idol or otherwise.

Also, ABC = Disney = Apple = U2 :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
The MJB/U2 version of One is better than the original.

One will always be One, and One is the version that is on AB. Bonos voice is so perfect on that recording. It has a special atmosphere ad feeling that the MJB version dosnt come near at all. She makes it to a mainstream POP song, and that not what it should be. She destroys the seriousness in the song.

Back
Top Bottom