"Making of The Joshua Tree" video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I saw this at the balynce.com U2 store, and I must confess I am not familiar with it. Does anyone have it, and is it worth buying?

IMO no. I bought it and I think it's very dull unless you are a studio and music mixing enthusiast because that's what most of it is, Lanois or Edge playing with studio equiptment and discussing how each parts of the songs were put together. There are some interviews with the boys, but they don't look very good. Bono had extra short hair plastered to his head and huge orange sunglasses. He looks about 50 years old. Edge wore this lame straw hat, and Adam had that bleached hair and white rimmed glasses. Larry looked as always the same.

There were small bits of JT era footage I used to find unique until I saw they were all taken from the now available Spanish Eyes video- Larry in the back of the truck as Bono drives, the boys hitchhiking, all very brief. There is a Mothers of the Disappeared performance from Pop which I did not like (don't like Pop Bono) and there was also the same RTTS from ZOOTV Sydney which I already own.

So from what I've told you make up your mind. It was not for me, but you may have different taste.

I have the DVD. I like it. It's the guys talking about JT with Danny Lanois around 1997 or 1998...My favorite part was when Edge was talking about the final guitar chords from WOWY...God, that man has beautiful eyes! hehe...But anyway...Yeah, I'd say buy it!

If you're a big fan of U2? Definitely! It's fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes work that went into the album, see the band members reflect and joke around, and if nothing else, the footage of Bono hearing himself screeching and wailing on an old track in studio and wincing is priceless. :D:D

sulawesigirl4 said:
If you're a big fan of U2? Definitely! It's fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes work that went into the album, see the band members reflect and joke around, and if nothing else, the footage of Bono hearing himself screeching and wailing on an old track in studio and wincing is priceless. :D:D

I agree with Sula. I own the DVD, and I think it's pretty interesting to see the behind-the-scenes stuff and the PopMart performance of MOTD with the mothers onstage. Also, the entire Sweetest Thing video is at the end for a cute little added bonus! I would say that if you're into that kind of thing and can find it cheap, go for it.

well, if you compare it to the AB video, then sure, it's dull. It's a bit "canned" and is mostly the guys just talking, but there are some YUMMY close up (I mean close) of Edge, some nice stuff with Bono and Danny reminiscing, and Larry and Adam talking. I was absolutely *fascinated* with the mixing board stuff...I want more of that!

I think it's a good one to have it in your collection, but it's def. not one of the really "fun" U2 videos.

Anyone know if/when they're doing a "behind the scenes" video/DVD of ATYCLB, or is the Boston DVD it?

I have seen it and I absolutely love it. it really gives you a good impression about how U2 work, what the producers are actually doing and the story behind many of the songs.
I was fascinated by the mixing board thingies, those different sounds they tried to use and integrate and then finally when you get the feelingthat U2 are going Depeche Mode, they make the turn and sound like U2. It?sbrilliant.

Other great points:
- Edge playing the last bit og WOWY and explaining why he?s playing it
- Adam making fun of Anton
- Bono?s face when he listens to some of his own recordings
- and many more

now go and buy it ...

>>Discoteque wrote: well, if you compare it to the AB video, then sure, it's dull. It's a bit "canned" and is mostly the guys just talking, but there are some YUMMY close up (I mean close) of Edge, >>

Haha! It's even closer when you use that fun little zoom button on your dvd remote!

I love watching Edge talk about WOWY...he's so excited about it. He's also kind of a nerd, but it's great!

Jessica

AM said:
I have seen it and I absolutely love it. it really gives you a good impression about how U2 work, what the producers are actually doing and the story behind many of the songs.
I was fascinated by the mixing board thingies, those different sounds they tried to use and integrate and then finally when you get the feelingthat U2 are going Depeche Mode, they make the turn and sound like U2. It?sbrilliant.

Other great points:
- Edge playing the last bit og WOWY and explaining why he?s playing it
- Adam making fun of Anton
- Bono?s face when he listens to some of his own recordings
- and many more

now go and buy it ...

Well said. I *REALLY* like this video.

I love it! I think it's really good. I think you'll like it too.

Hey, if anything, if you're not crazy about it, I'm sure you can trade it with someone here or you can sell it:silent:

I like it ... and as everyone else has said:

* it's more of a behind the scenes kind of thing
* it's not the typical U2 video or interview.
* it has some humorous moments.

For the die hard U2 fan, definitely getit.

For the causal fan, borrow it from a die hard, rent it or wait for someone to buy it for you as a gift.

I had taped it from FOX channel two years ago and had watched it several times. I only bought the DVD a couple of months ago, an imported copy for which I payed a prohibitive price. Why? Because I love U2, I love to see and know everything about their creating process, and how they work with the producers and stuff. My fave moments were already mentioned...

Edge explaining how he created the final chords for WOWY

Bono's priceless face when Danny Lanois points out his guitar skills

The images of Mothers of Disappeared from Santiago...marvellous song, touching performance.

I'd say buy it. Now. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom