Make your own U2 concept album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Layton said:

You're right, those names don't ring a bell. What genre of music do those names belong to? Until proven otherwise, I stand by what I said. Concept albums are for amateurs. Particularly when rock/pop artists attempt them.

What about Ziggy Stardust? Are you saying that you think David Bowie's an amateur? :eyebrow:

XHendrix24 said:

What about Ziggy Stardust? Are you saying that you think David Bowie's an amateur? :eyebrow:

I'm saying that writing 10-12 high quality distinctive songs and somehow binding them together is a more challenging form of album making than taking 10-12 tracks that have a good conceptual or storyline flow and lining them up. I think concept albums just invite songwriting shortcuts. You can get away with a mediocre tune just because it fits the flow and yes Ziggy Stardust falls into this trap.

Layton said:

I'm saying that writing 10-12 high quality distinctive songs and somehow binding them together is a more challenging form of album making than taking 10-12 tracks that have a good conceptual or storyline flow and lining them up. I think concept albums just invite songwriting shortcuts. You can get away with a mediocre tune just because it fits the flow and yes Ziggy Stardust falls into this trap.

Well, I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion. No matter how outlandish it may be. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

Well, I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion. No matter how outlandish it may be. :wink:

Outlandish Rocks!!! One other thing I forgot to add is that rarely are the "stories" or "concepts" these kind of albums are on about even interesting. I mean I don't turn to Bowie, The Who or Green Day for a freakin' story. If I want that I'll go read James Joyce. No, I want music from my CD's. Give me 10-12 melodic masterpieces over a hackneyed "concept" anyday.

Back
Top Bottom