Make your case for a "stadium" tour.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I keep hearing that the band's going to play stadiums for sure this next tour. I want to you what you know, how you know it, and why you know it. The next album isn't even finished yet, and yet so many folks here are damn near already lining up at their nearest stadium for tickets.

:larry:

:adam:

:edge:

:bono:

Spill it.

People think that the demand is so high for U2 that they'll have to do a stadium tour. Which isn't true. If they would've struck when the gold was hot, they could've done a stadium tour. But now, U2 is now one of those bands who had a hit record 2-3 years ago, and the hype has died down. They're going to have to hype this record and tour up again, like last time. I guarantee it'll be an arena tour, at least in America. Which I hope it is. The next album won't sell as well as ATYCLB, but it will sell. The shows will mostly sell out, as long as they don't raise the ticket prices again.

I think it will be mixed, arenas for some cities and stadiums for others.

I think the demand will be there, and 4 nights in the same city verses one night in a stadium would meet demand without wearing the guys out.

EPandAmerica said:
I think it will be mixed, arenas for some cities and stadiums for others.

I think the demand will be there, and 4 nights in the same city verses one night in a stadium would meet demand without wearing the guys out.

agreed with that.
But if they come to australia and places they havent been for a while...and they do stadiums...it should be 2 shows in 3 days

Last edited:
While I suspect it will be a mixed bag of arenas/stadiums, I also happen to think that releasing an album say in March, starting the tour in May is not good enough to sell out huge 50k+ stadiums.

The hype has died down a bit, there hasn't been any new material for a while and they will have to build it up again. Sure we will flock as the faithful, but you need to sell out nosebleeds at the back of Skydome, and frankly, I wouldn't buy those even if this were the farewell tour.

I'm not a big fan of stadiums, either way.

The_acrobat said:
People think that the demand is so high for U2 that they'll have to do a stadium tour. Which isn't true. If they would've struck when the gold was hot, they could've done a stadium tour. But now, U2 is now one of those bands who had a hit record 2-3 years ago, and the hype has died down. They're going to have to hype this record and tour up again, like last time. I guarantee it'll be an arena tour, at least in America. Which I hope it is. The next album won't sell as well as ATYCLB, but it will sell. The shows will mostly sell out, as long as they don't raise the ticket prices again.

Hmm, can I borrow your crystal ball??? How on EARTH do you know how the next album will sell? LOL

Look, personally, I have NEVER said it would be all stadiums. What I'am telling you is that a major world tour starts its preparation at least a year before it begins. U2's staff has started contacting potential venues for them to play unofficially at this point. You could say things are in the rough sketch phase of a painting if you need an analogy to understand. Europe is going to see stadium shows for the most part, that is pretty clear at this stage. N. America is not, as I said, "tentatively" they are looking at stadiums and arenas both. If you dont think U2 could sellout stadiums in major markets right now or next year you are being very naive. U2 could easily sellout 2 stadium shows in markets like LA, SF, Chicago, New York, Toronto, etc. and sellout one stadium show in other large markets. If the new album does as well or better than ATYCLB 2005 is going to be almost exclusively stadiums. That is how they are looking at it. So Martha you may get to see U2 as they will probebly play some arena shows. If they do like the Stones they will do both an arena and Stadium gig in the huge markets. Which would be great IMO because I could see two very different shows on the same tour (even if the setlist is the same LOL ;) )

My prediction is clear : Arenas or Arenas/Stadiums in US, and Stadiums for the rest of the planet.

U2 could sellout stadiums in markets like NY, Boston, DC, Chicago, California and, of course, Canada. The problem? They can't sellout stadiums in markets like Lousiana, Texas, the carolinas etc etc

Vox

Blue Room said:

Hmm, can I borrow your crystal ball??? How on EARTH do you know how the next album will sell? LOL

Same thoughts here.
Blue Room, do you know if U2 are thinking of some arena shows in Europe next to a stadium tour? (Just like they played 4(?) arena gigs during 1987 2nd leg.)

I personally enjoy U2 in open-air stadiums. They are one of the few bands who can captivate and audience in such a large arena. I have seen U2 in both the arena and stadium settings and find nothing lacking with either. Sure, I've been mostly lucky to have great seats, but that doesn't mean when I was stuck in the back I felt any less than I did up close. U2 is by far the best live band I've ever seen and I think regardless of the setting they project better than any band to every member of their audience. My opinion only.

Sweet Tart said:
me neither. i wanna be actually able to see them and just not on a video screen.

I also would like to see them (again). But if I have to choose between seeing them in stadiums or not seeing them in arenas I choose for stadiums. Two weeks ago I saw REM play in a small club. Through sheer luck I got hold of tickets, but I don't know if I'm that lucky should U2 play a small club (or an arena). I initially missed out on the Elevation Tour. Only because of Propaganda and the show being moved to a small stadium I was able to see them (3x in the Netherlands).

C ya!

Marty

Blue Room said:
U2's staff has started contacting potential venues for them to play unofficially at this point.

See, this is what I'm looking for. Some kind of evidence, rather than speculation. Checking calendars and schedules for venues.

Predicting album sales is pointless until we hear at least a sound from the new record.

Anybody else with evidence?

As long as I get to hear and see them Iim not really that bothered anymore!

*waits for more information - facts!*

Anybody else with evidence?

I got an email from Willie Williams that said nothing about stadiums or any other venues. All he said was that production design for the tour has not started yet, but he did hint that yes, they will be touring in 2004.

Now here is what I think:

Yes, of course the demand is there.

U2 has never, and I repeat never repeated themselves or followed the norm when it comes to touring. After hugely successful stadium tours, the band came back with a hugely successful arena tour (Elevation/greatest hits.)

I think the next tour will be a surprise for everybody.

Gone will be the Streets/Bad/Pride standards. Supposedly the band is recording an all-out guitar record.

Seeing how the Stones were able to pull off their S,M,L tour (clubs, arenas, stadiums), U2 will look to do the same (same proiduction team etc...) but tweak it a bit.

I think the Stones tried to pull off all three sizes in each major US market, but U2 may not.

My prediction:

I think the band will play arenas and stadiums in the summer with some club shows thrown in in the major markets. They will probably only play arenas in some cities where they think they will not sell out show, and play all three in major cities. What I would find amazing is if they relly broke it up and instead of playing 3 nights in lets say Boston, then 3 nights in New York, then 3 nights in DC, I think if they were able to play shows in between, like a club show in NY while they play a stadium in Boston and vice versa it woul dbe cool.

The problem is logistics always rule and it is easier to play a block of shows in a city versus one-offs.

in any event I think we should gear ourselves up for club shows (they did it before the Stones did (Irving Plaza, Manray, Astoria)), as well as stadiums as they seem to be the appropriate venues for guitar-driven songs.

Just tell me, how much $$$ do I need to save? seriously, should I tap into my student loan for this next tour or can I set aside some of my summer earnings? This will be my first tour experience and I live within a few hours driving distance of Chicago, Detroit, South Bend and close enough to places in Ohio, Indy, Louisville, and Toronto so I want to see multiple shows but I don't know how much to set aside :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Just tell me, how much $$$ do I need to save?

Depends on what you want to do and how much is charged for tickets. If these stadiums shows materialize, and I seriously doubt they will, those tickets could be quite expensive. Stadium shows are expensive to stage, and our boys do like to turn a profit.

I spent about $435 for seven tickets to six shows. But I don't exactly remember the ticket price levels. Plus, there were my motel rooms in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and SLC. And gas. And food. And parking. And those were the already expensive arena tickets.

Start asking for cash for holiday gifts. :yes:

martha said:

But did Popmart sell out all the stadiums, or were there seats left unsold?

There were seats left unsold.

The tour came at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

The band pushed it a little when the album did not sell so well and other bands were doing better then them.

The key here would be to do a tour (again, much like the stones) where they can be flexible on venue and not just go all out in stadiums.

The stones have a huge stadium set-up and parts are used in the arenas like the video screen etc.

U2 could do much the same and do virtually an arena tour with Stadiums thrown in.

I think it would be highly successful.

In my opinion Pop's songs were the furthest from songs to be played in a stadium...

Ok, let's just talk about the US leg, then, because I can understand this market and stuff.

The US economy is continuing to tank, the last tour did sell-out the arenas, but was the demand really high enough last time for any 50,000-75,000 seat venue, especially at those ticket prices? If things continue the way they are, can the casual fan afford $150 for a ticket? Or even want to? Yeah, the Stones did stadiums, but they're the fucking Stones.

And this time, I think if the band releases yet another adult contemporary record, that will not fill stadiums. Oh sure, Bono claims it's rock and roll, but he claimed Elevation had hip-hop elements to it!

I just don't see a stadium tour next time, not here. Maybe overseas, where they haven't played as much.

(Flame on.)

martha said:

But did Popmart sell out all the stadiums, or were there seats left unsold?

Yes, some stadiums in the major markets completely soldout. Chicago had 2 sellouts at Soldier Field and the 3rd show at Soldier was 2/3rds full for Popmart, thats over 100000 over 3 nights touring for an album that was not very popular. Same goes for Giants Stadium in New York on the same tour. The two shows in Foxboro MA (Boston) at Foxboro Stadium completely soldout for Popmart. The problem with Popmart was that it was ALL stadiums and this meant stadium shows in small markets, which NO artist would sellout completely. This gave Popmart a bad rap when in fact the lowest attendence of ANY show was 18000 people that was one of the German shows and around 20000 for some of the small U.S. markets. 18000 is a definate sellout in a small market if it was arena. Elevation didnt even sellout every single show it was arenas only. So its all relative.

So YES, U2 can and will support stadium shows in the large markets. I dont know what part of the production Willie is working on. Usually he is a major player in the design so if what you say about him is true it is puzzling because it goes against what I was told. Again I have limited info, but stadiums are in the works accross the globe including N. America. Although I think N. America will see the fewest stadium shows of any market, but we will see some as I said in the major markets. As many others have indicated it makes sense anyway, especially considering how successful the Stones and Bruce have been doing the same thing over the past year.

On a sidebar. I dont know how the economic political part came into play. But the U.S. economy is actually on its way back (although slower than some predicted). Also U2 sailed one of its most successful stadium tours Zoo TV into a relatively weak U.S. economy in 1992. Wasnt a problem then. By the time U2 is on tour it should be relatively strong anyway. U2 could have played stadium shows on the last tour and it meets your album criteria. For crying out loud they soldout 6 19K shows in Chicago, and 7 in the New York area. If you dont think those markets can support stadiums you are just blind.

Martha, I'am not quite sure why this irritates you so much and why this has to be some sort of war. Most of us are just happy they are touring. But from the sound of it, you would rather U2 not play live over playing stadiums, I think you would be in the minority on that one. I have seen U2 24 times and some of the best shows I have seen were in stadiums. I think you just need to give it another try and you will have the oppurtunity next year, although from the sound of it you will choose not to go. ANY U2 show is better than 95% of what is out there, regardless of where they are playing. Just try to get good seats in the stadium, there is nothing like being on the floor with 40000 people clapping along when the lights come up for Streets IMO. Personally, if you are in the nosebleeds at an arena it is no more intimate than the nosebleeds at a stadium. You just have a bigger screen to look at for stadiums.

Even though I know stadiums are VERY likely next tour and are being discussed as I said, it doesnt mean for sure it will still happen. Europe yes, for sure, N. America is still up in the air, but is also likely in the major markets. Again, look at what the Stones did and what Bruce did this past year. So you may get to pick, assuming you can get tickets for the arena show or shows.

Last edited:
martha,

You actually have it backwards. The cheapest tickets are Stadium tickets because the supply of tickets are greater. Arena shows typically have much more expensive ticket prices than stadium shows because the supply of seats is smaller. The smaller the number of tickets available, the greater the demand, the greater the demand, the greater the increase in price.

Theater tickets can be charged at unbelievable prices because of the small number of them. For a single Theater show your talking about 3,000 tickets. Arena 20,000 tickets, and Stadium 60,000 tickets.

It is true that Stadium tours cost more, but the supply of tickets is also 3 to 4 times greater per show.

U2 could have easily sold out stadiums in the USA in 2001 in a large number of cities. Of course the price would have been more in the 50 dollar to 60 dollar range, similar to POPMART.

The POPMART Stadium tour was one of the highest Grossing tours of all time. Despite several stadiums doing small business, most were filled up well or soldout. Back in 1997, 52.50 was consider a steep ticket price and at that time, the highest price anyone had payed for nosebleed seats in a Stadium.

For Stadiums in the USA, if U2 would charge a 60 or 65 dollar flat rate for the Stadium shows, I think they would do excellent business. Another great thing about Stadium shows is you don't have to worry about selling "behind the stage seating" which is often difficult to do.

I'd expect any Arena Ticket Prices in the USA to be like the last tour. With there being very little inflation between 2001 and 2004, I really do not expect them to increase prices in the Arena's for the 2004 tour.

Demand on the Elevation tour in 2001 was higher than the Demand for the POPMART stadium tour in the USA. They only did 3 shows in Philadelphia but could have easily done 6 or 7. All the Arena shows in the Philadelphia and Washington DC area's sold out as fast as tickets could be sold.

"And this time, I think if the band releases yet another adult contemporary record, that will not fill stadiums. Oh sure, Bono claims it's rock and roll, but he claimed Elevation had hip-hop elements to it!"

U2 could play Stadiums without a new album. As POPMART shows, despite the albums poor sales in the USA, Multiple Stadium shows were sold out in several cities all across North American. ATYCLB sold over 4 million copies while POP only did 1.5 million in the USA. Clearly if U2 were to maintain the momentum they got from ATYCLB, playing Stadiums would probably be a breeze.

Blue Room said:

Elevation didnt even sellout every single show it was arenas only. So its all relative.

I could be wrong b/c I know nothing (and care not) about this, but didn't they sell out all but one? Or all but one of the North American shows? (Kansas City???)

Some cities on the Elevation tour weren't selling fast enough to sell the seats behind the stage, and still sell out. I went to shows in Columbus and Indianapolis, and this was the case. They had a big curtain hanging up behind them. It kinda added a different dynamic to the show...it was pretty cool. I know the same thing happened in Tampa, FL, from a review I read. But they sold all the tickets put on sale at these shows. The only shows that DID NOT sell out everything on sale was in St. Louis and in Kansas City. (Way to go, Missouri! J/J)

But for the most part, the $45, 85, 130 tickets worked well, because it flattened the demand a little bit. If they would've charged $50 for the best seats and $35 for the worse seats, they wouldn't have been able to satisfy the demand. They'd be doing 18 shows in Chicago, 25 in NYC, 20 in LA, etc. I believe that if priced right, U2 could sell out stadiums in the following markets:

NYC- 3
Phili- 2
Boston - 2 or 3
DC- 2
Miami - 1
Atlanta - 1
Chicago - 3
One City in Texas
Denver - 1
Phoenix - 1
LA - 2 (LA Coliseum holds 70,000)
San Fran - 2

And do arenas in all the other cities. Europe could support an entire stadium tour, as could other parts of the world. I mean, what were they thinking in 1997 trying to sell 80,000 tickets in Clemson, SC?? Or 60,000 in Madison, WI? The tour was planned with the assumption U2 was as universally popular as they were in 1992. We should not assume that the demand in 2004 will be the same as it was in 2001. Not gonna happen. U2 is going to have to promote the shit out of this album and tour if they want the same kind of success. If anything, stadiums would help them perform less dates in a year, so that they wouldn't be so burnt out by the end, and they would feel more up to touring Australia, Brazil, etc.

Blue Room said:
Elevation didnt even sellout every single show it was arenas only. So its all relative.

This contradicts much of the rest of your post, Blue. The case for some stadiums is not supported then, if the arenas weren't all sold out.

Originally posted by Blue Room
Martha, I'am not quite sure why this irritates you so much and why this has to be some sort of war.

I don't want it to be a war; I'm not sure myself why this bugs me so much. I guess the thing is, is that no one really has any clear and hard evidence that stadiums are coming up. I know that many rumors do turn out to be true, but most of the stadiums talk is pure speculation and wishful thinking. I really hate stadium concerts. I can't sit on the floor level anywhere because I can see a damn thing down there. And the one time I saw them in a stadium, it was not good at all.

So. :shrug: I'll keep myself to civilized replies. I promise.

LOL, Martha, please read my whole post about the "major" markets. I dont know how I contradicted myself. The Elevation non sellouts were the smaller markets. I have NEVER said they would do stadiums in the small markets, in fact, I think it would be stupid if they tried. You were trying to make some type of correlation to Popmart and the fact that there were seats unsold, thats why I pointed that out. No one has hard evidence at this time because the plan is tentative (LOL, how many times have I said this). I dont know what it is you are looking for, Bono proclaiming stadiums will be done? All I will say is what I have heard is more than just a rumor. Then again, the poster that said they got an email from Willie Williams contradicts what I was told. So I'am not sure who is more reliable and I'am not claiming stadiums will for sure happen. But they are a very good possibility and are being discussed by their organization.

I'am curious which LA 87 show you went to. The 11-18-87 show looked like a great show from what I have seen. Plus you would have witnessed the Daltons. I do think though you should try seeing a stadium show by U2 that is specifically geared to playing a stadium. Joshua Tree was not.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
I have NEVER said they would do stadiums in the small markets, in fact, I think it would be stupid if they tried

Blue Room said:
Again, look at what the Stones did and what Bruce did this past year [/B]

Bruce did fabulous in the large cities (Boston, NY, NJ) but he did very poorly selling out stadiums elsewhere (for instance, Kentucky). I don't know all the figures but I can get them if someone wants.

Anyway, I think that goes to say that yes U2 could definitely sell out major cities, but like Blue Room said it'd be ridiculous to try stadiums elsewhere. (btw, that was very interesting information you posted BR about Pop's success with stadiums.)

Here's a question I'm sure the band is facing: how do you take an arena tour to a stadium? Can a tour be malleable enough to handle both environments? Can the band deal with having an arena tour that is spread out in a stadium, or vice versa have a stadium-designed tour smooshed into an arena? Can they one night perform in an arena and the next night logistically perform in a stadium? (I'm thinking about all the extra costs for the equipment and staff to maintain production.)

Personally, I :heart: arenas (Elevation) but I also loved Pop despite my nosebleed seats. So long as I'm close... ;) I'm just excited there's a tour to save for! :hyper:

oliveu2cm said:

Here's a question I'm sure the band is facing: how do you take an arena tour to a stadium? Can a tour be malleable enough to handle both environments? Can the band deal with having an arena tour that is spread out in a stadium, or vice versa have a stadium-designed tour smooshed into an arena? Can they one night perform in an arena and the next night logistically perform in a stadium? (I'm thinking about all the extra costs for the equipment and staff to maintain production.)

Personally, I :heart: arenas (Elevation) but I also loved Pop despite my nosebleed seats. So long as I'm close... ;) I'm just excited there's a tour to save for! :hyper:

Well, they did 3 stadium type shows for Elevation, Slane 1, 2 and Turin Italy. From what I have heard those 3 shows were 3 of the best of the tour. Seems to have been a pretty good transfer. Also, the Stones did this on their last tour with no problems at all. So I'am sure U2 will have no problem making the same transitions. Its all about the stage design in that respect anyway.

Lets all just be happy they are coming back, there is no doubdt about that at this point. Who cares what type of venue, I just want to see them again. I think olive's last statement is how most of us feel about it anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom