Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me tell you why they chose Boots.

I know several girls, fancy Copenhagen-people in the beginning of their 20's, they go to house music concerts and generally don't listen to the radio, they like a little bit of Coldplay but that's that. And they all HATE U2.

Guess what they thought of Boots.

They love it. Trust me, they wouldn't love Magnificent.
Boots is groovy, it's funky, it hits the young people. .

Interesting...as a house music fanatic from 1987, I find Magnificent way more appealing to my house/dance personality.

I cannot get this song off repeat. How could I go from scratching my head at the first 44 seconds on the first listen to this complete love affair so quickly???

This is THE song of the album and will absolutely bring the house down live.

Can't wait to dance with you all!

Fell in love with this tune upon hearing the beach clip last year, and nothing has changed. By far and away my favorite on the record (and it's got lots to contend with). Glorious track and it's sure to be a highlight the way COBL and WTSHNN are on the tour.

I hope the visuals on the tour do this song justice because it deserves some type of epic live moment. :combust:

I'm glad this thread is getting the most posts, it's definitely a tribute to how great the song is. :drool: Best on the album, actuals and factuals.

Magnificent sounds like a cunning hybrid of '80s and '90s U2 to me, it's got one of those huge JT choruses with more modern production, amazing tune.

I just listened to the album WOWY and, by god, if you add some more keyboards in there you have some striking similarities, right down to the guitar riff.

Again, the whole song is utterly breathtaking, but the bridge part/Edge's solo is so out of this world, transcendent actually, the transition into it is like being shot through a worm hole and out into space. Just an awesome moment on a stellar tune.

My favourite, next to MOS and Fez. An updated JT song, the sound and lyrics remind me of I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

would have been better if he had left out the inital 2 'magnificent' as the start of the song, sounds a bit crap, but the sogn is decent overall.

I have never had a song touch me so deeply as this!!! I remember the chills I got the first time I heard Pride on Radio 1, watching With or Without you on the Tube and now up there with them is the first time I heard Magnificent on my headphones on Wednesday morning.
Every time I play it, I become very emotional!
Never mind the album they always wanted to write. This is in my opinion the pinnacle of their career in terms of creating a song that touches the hearts of nearly everyone who hears it. I can tell by everyone else here that most people feel the same way.
This song is unbelievably special!!!!:heart:

Add one more to the group of those that become oddly emotional during this song.

Any song that can do that to this cold, cynical heart must be pretty special.

The first time I listened, I seriously couldn't tell if it was Bono singing or Edge's guitar. :drool: I think Bono sang over the first note.

I thought it was Bono from the beach clip days. On first leak listen I thought Eno had played with the vocals. I just barely realized what it was, but I still revert back to thinking it is falsetto.

Just another detail in a great song.:up:

Just realised, thanks to my headphones, that the 45-second intro to this song, before it really kicks in, contains sonic references to U2's entire career.... very, very deliberate obviously...

We have Zoo Station-like guitars, Elevation-like sonar beeps, Mofo-like techno beats, 80s Edge chimey-wimey guitars, keyboards that remind me of the Even Better Than The Real Thing dance mix, Joshua Tree-like Eno keyboards, a few brief background flashes of Zooropa-like static... and much more.... all melded together by Edge and Eno into a sonic soundscape that heads in one direction... via the extended Pride-like Larry drum roll.... into the body of the song.... wow....!

I mean... WOW!!!!!!!! :drool:

This is remarkable if true and I just listened back to it a couple of times to check and it does sound sort of like it. This song leaves me speechless, hard to compare to ONE bc ONE has a slower tempo, but to me this song sounds like SBS WTSHNN WOWY and ONE had a baby, it's unbelievable!! Could they open the tour with this one, sure, but I'd hate to be the song that follows it!! Could you imagine if they did WTSHNN to MAG to BAD, I would just lose it!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be one of the best endings of a song I've ever heard as well, slows, then builds to a frantic finish, then leaves you wanting more, perfect segway to MOS!!!

This has to be one of the best endings of a song I've ever heard as well, slows, then builds to a frantic finish, then leaves you wanting more, perfect segway to MOS!!!

The segue into MOS is indeed fantastic - it's like playing BTBS and RTSS on The Joshua Tree - I can never play them separately - they're a pair and must be played together. I'm starting to feel the same way about Magnificent and MOS.

I still love this song the most so far. I don't think this was in anyways intentional but everytime I hear it, it makes me think it's young Macphisto singing the song....like Mac before he was Mac and even before he was The Fly. Something about it all reminds of a young singer untouched yet by the excess of rock n'roll. Have no idea why, maybe it's because of the elements of AB that I hear in it mixed with the idealistic and innocent lyrics, but I do.

I really love the song, the intro,... :love::love::love: but but but if I am sincer I expected a bit darker song... at least the beach clip sounded darker, more reverb around,... but well I love it anyway, and looking forward for some nice remixes of the song :wave:

Back
Top Bottom