Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started some trouble in another thread bc I honestly think Magnificent is a reworked Mercy based on some of the lyrics and overall concept ... :hyper:

This possibility occurred to me yesterday as well. Even if they're not directly related, I do believe that Magnificent could be the song they were trying to write with Mercy. They're both very good.

I don't know why I find this so funny.

I love Magnificent, don't get me wrong.

But I just knew when I heard that, while I like it, "Interference is going to go nuts for this one..."

How ironic that, after years about bitching about how we want "experimental U2" again, the most traditional sounding song is the apparent fan favorite!

I honestly think that even though it sounds somewhat like a "traditional sounding song" for U2 fans, its still something very new and different. It definitely has a very U2 sounding guitar part, but there are alot of new and unheard elements in it that make it more new than old.

But you're right, upon first listen its a no brainer hit for even the casual U2 fan

This is U2 at their best. Unbelievable. Perfect song and lyrics.

Loving this song. Will crush live. I agree with everyone that says it should open every gig.

I thought this too, but now I wonder how the rest of the concert could sustain this level of emotion. Maybe Magnificent into Streets to close the first set before the encores would be better? Regardless of order, it is going to be AWESOME live.

I honestly don't see the connection at all.

Other than maybe the fact that both songs start with the letter 'M' and U2 play them.

:shrug:

I agree. I guess both songs have the trademark U2 guitar chime as a feature? Like uh... most U2 songs?

this makes me realize that HTDAAB wasn't bad because they sounded too much like themselves, it was bad because it was bad.

Magnificent is the biggest, most fucking enormous song I have ever heard. Granted, it does have a lot of sonic layers to it, and granted the song structure is a little odd for a U2 song. But it sounds like SBS and WTSHNN having a kid. It's hard not to listen too. And it's hard to go from it to MOS. But man... so enormous, so hard to be mad at it.

Man I can't believe this had my eyes welling up on first listen, definitely happy tears. :sad:
You know I think it's because I had this feeling like a long lost friend had just turned up at my door years after I'd almost forgotten about them.
I'd forgotten how much I missed their ability to create something so uniquely beautiful as this and I think this goes for other songs on this album.

I've not enjoyed a song so much in yonks.:love:

Wonderfully put, my friend, well said... my thoughts exactly which you have put into words.

The song even goes for the joyous emotional jugular right away, with the evocative opening line, "I was born, I was born to be with you"... how can anyone not get a bit teary eyed when combined with this music.... the hauntingly familar Edge guitar chiming in a slightly distorted background... almost like the doorbell ringing with that long lost friend waiting outside...

:heart:

Just realised, thanks to my headphones, that the 45-second intro to this song, before it really kicks in, contains sonic references to U2's entire career.... very, very deliberate obviously...

We have Zoo Station-like guitars, Elevation-like sonar beeps, Mofo-like techno beats, 80s Edge chimey-wimey guitars, keyboards that remind me of the Even Better Than The Real Thing dance mix, Joshua Tree-like Eno keyboards, a few brief background flashes of Zooropa-like static... and much more.... all melded together by Edge and Eno into a sonic soundscape that heads in one direction... via the extended Pride-like Larry drum roll.... into the body of the song.... wow....!

I mean... WOW!!!!!!!! :drool:

Wonderfully put, my friend, well said... my thoughts exactly which you have put into words.

The song even goes for the joyous emotional jugular right away, with the evocative opening line, "I was born, I was born to be with you"... how can anyone not get a bit teary eyed when combined with this music.... the hauntingly familar Edge guitar chiming in a slightly distorted background... almost like the doorbell ringing with that long lost friend waiting outside...

:heart:

That's cool you got the same feeling from it too :hug:

I know that its not "released" yet but this is THE song I have been waiting my who life for. APPRECIATE!!!!

:drool::drool::drool:

YES :drool: :drool: :drool: me too
I cry when I hear it, sends shivers down my spine every time.
BEST song of their career, best song ever written.

And it should be played permanently by law everywhere forever :wink:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

This song reminds me of old skool U2. Like somewhere between October and War. It almost has a "Gloria" appeal for me. Because it is the 2nd song on the album, it draws the old school listeners in to the record if they didn't like the first track. Well done boys. I love MOS......this would have to be my 2nd fave right now.

I am wrestling as to whether it is better than 'One', but I think in time it could be regarded by many to be better. I would say 'Magnificent' could be the best U2 song since The Joshua Tree, surpassing 'Stay' and 'Miss Sarajevo', and as I say, possibly 'One'.

Strong words, I know (and maybe it's because it's still so new and fresh to my ears)....but I feel it really is that good.

Just realised, thanks to my headphones, that the 45-second intro to this song, before it really kicks in, contains sonic references to U2's entire career.... very, very deliberate obviously...

We have Zoo Station-like guitars, Elevation-like sonar beeps, Mofo-like techno beats, 80s Edge chimey-wimey guitars, keyboards that remind me of the Even Better Than The Real Thing dance mix, Joshua Tree-like Eno keyboards, a few brief background flashes of Zooropa-like static... and much more.... all melded together by Edge and Eno into a sonic soundscape that heads in one direction... via the extended Pride-like Larry drum roll.... into the body of the song.... wow....!

Jesus. I'll have to go and listen to it again and pay closer attention to the intro. It's stuff like this that, for me, makes a good U2 album stand out above others.

I am wrestling as to whether it is better than 'One', but I think in time it could be regarded by many to be better. I would say 'Magnificent' could be the best U2 song since The Joshua Tree, surpassing 'Stay' and 'Miss Sarajevo', and as I say, possibly 'One'.

Strong words, I know (and maybe it's because it's still so new and fresh to my ears)....but I feel it really is that good.

It's not only your opinion. TBH i don't like one anymore. Overkill. But this song issssss soooo great. That intro is mindblowing.

I can live with this opinion .. LOL

Nah fellow Vacouverite (if your still here in the Lower Mainland) but a difficult task for any song to compare to one and unfortunatly in my own opinion Magnificent doesn't comapre. Obviously I could be wrong and I love the song but it's not a ONE.

wow this song is perfection. actually had to grow to it a little bit. still like UC and breathe better, but its up there.

its incredible....

Back
Top Bottom