Lynching other U2 Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first (and only) time I was ever flamed was on this forum. I posted a piece on U2's pedestal. It wasn't particularly inflammatory or controversial. I was pretty amused by the attacks and printed out the threads. My friends got a few laughs out of it. I noticed the attacks were personal and didn't really deal with the post at all. I was pleasantly surprised, though, by the number of defenders I had, even with those who did not agree with my position. I certainly made a private, personal judgment about the flamers, but felt no need to retaliate. I found other forums on this site that were much friendlier and more tolerant and allowed a little apostasy. While I visit here occasionally, I usually only play here or read the posts. I leave my serious discussions for other forums, although you have some good ones here.

beli said:

But would you post under your real name? Its not the done thing on this site but hypothetically, would you do it? Do you believe it would alter the content of your posts?

Sure, I just hate my name. I use this username for every other forum I belong to. I try really hard to never post something I wouldn't really say. In my case, it helps to have my boyfriend and a few of my best friends on Interference as well so I really couldn't get away with not being myself.

I don't think posting under your real name would do anything. Most of the people on this site are miles and miles from me. My real name would just become another screenname.

I think a lot of the people who verbally attack users on this site do so, because they can get away with it online but not in real life. I like the car analogy. Its a power trip.

But with all this negativity I would like to say that I appreciate the differeing opinions on this site. If it wasn't for some people and there strong opinions on "October" I would never have revisited it and fallen in love with some of the songs.

Last edited:

It's what is called a "click".....you're either in the circle or you're out. And I know where I stand.

:|

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
It's what is called a "click".....you're either in the circle or you're out. And I know where I stand.

:|

I'm guessing it's the outside. But your post made me wonder...does anyone ever consider themselves to be in a clique?

I actually get that "you're cliquish" bit tossed at me from a few people on another board which I find weird as I make sure I welcome new people and try to help keep conversations going (especially for newbies as it's no fun being the newbie thread killer). Are there some people on that board I've made friends with? Of course, and occasionally we tease each other and make comments to each other on the boards. I guess that can make some people feel left out, but hell, I didn't know anyone when I started either. I just read a lot to get the feel of the board, and when I started posting I stayed away from controversial subjects (at least until people got to know me better). So I got to know people and made friends (I also made enemies apparently...ah well, can't make everyone happy. :huh: )

But is a circle of friends really a clique? And if it is, then aren't we all in cliques? Of course this board is large enough almost everyone should be able to find somewhere to fit in. Or if nothing established works, you can always make your own. After all, I think I might be the one and only resident of the Interference heavy duty Church/Kilbey fan clique. :D

indra said:
Sometimes I think it's just because they can and not really face consequences. And you don't see the hurt you cause...you don't see a face or hear a voice, you just see a screen. And they can't physically punch your lights out either. :wink:

i think the converse situation can be true as well. if someone on the internet called me an idiot because i like 'zooropa' or whatever, it wouldn't really bother me. the person on the other end doesn't know me or my history or my experience or my credentials. i just can't get offended by a stranger calling me names.

at the same time, just like in real life, i can choose to bite my tongue or i can choose to let them have it. it just depends on my mood at the time - my ability to moderate myself, i guess. i know i've had less-than-glorious moments on here, as well as in real life. it's not like i'm TRYING to be a bitch. we all have our days where it's harder to be our perfect selves, whether it's here or at work or with your family, it just happens.

i'm not trying to make excuses for antagonizing behaviour. if it's the same person or people that are being jerks to others, then they should be dealt with. but i think (i hope) for the most part that people have their good and bad days and their behaviour is a reflection of that.

beli said:

In some cases, but not all, the person being savaged is (...), or is eccentric.

I didn't read all pages, so sorry...

Can you draw a line between "being eccentric" and making "inteligent trolling" (as I call it) posts?

Re: Re: Lynching other U2 Fans

bathiu said:

Can you draw a line between "being eccentric" and making "inteligent trolling" (as I call it) posts?

What's the difference... I'd prefer intelligent trolling than unadulterated praise on a forum. I know this is a FAN forum, but every family, group, forum, etc. has its disagreements.

Re: Re: reply

indra said:
But is a circle of friends really a clique? And if it is, then aren't we all in cliques?

Yes and yes.
For a long time I considered myself outside of those cliques. I didn't even want to belong with one, just because of all the negative associations people generally throw at it. But suddenly I was posting in a thread and the people posting there kept on posting. And posting. And posting. And we got to know each other. And like each other and stay in contact with each other. They became Internet friends. And then I also realised that it was sort of being a clique. If only because of our shared history, our own in-jokes that we still find funny, etc. Thus, you can't stop that, but it's also not something negative. You'll always have groups of people clinging together because they like each other.

C ya!

Marty

Re: Re: Lynching other U2 Fans

bathiu said:

I dont know about this. Is there such a thing as intelligent trolling? Trolling is more like someone being a complete dickhead (technical description :wink: ) Trolls to me are people that post in tonnes of threads trying to upset everyone. The content of their posts changes from thread to thread to insult as many people as possible. Well, that was my experience in the old Zoo anyway. Ive never seen an intelligent troll.

i agree. i posted a thread about bono blowing loads when I first came on the forum, and some people seemed to get mad about it.

KhanadaRhodes said:

umm, because that's disgusting and not allowed?

This is a perfect example of miscommunications. I didn't read the thread Bigloader is refering to but "blowing loads" to me means spending a lot of money. I would have to read it in context to know what he/she was saying.

beli said:

Help me please. What does blowing loads mean in the disgusting sense? :shifty:

Can we please just forget about it? It's not important, and i guess maybe it would be considered inappropriate to some. i have a very unusual sense of humor.

bigloader said:
Can we please just forget about it? It's not important, and i guess maybe it would be considered inappropriate to some. i have a very unusual sense of humor.
given that it's against forum rules to allow postings about the band's private parts, don't you think that wouldn't be allowed either?

anyway, consider the subject dropped. i won't mention it again.

KhanadaRhodes said:

given that it's against forum rules to allow postings about the band's private parts, don't you think that wouldn't be allowed either?

you mean in theory we're not actually allowed to post comments on nude adam achtung baby pictures??? :huh: :wink:

on a more serious non-nude-adam note and back to the topic of discussion

i'm often fascinated and astounded by the intolerance some people show for the opinions of other members of the board. most of its been mentioned already but instances like personal attacks on members, the bullying and patronizing of new members by the so-called super members, and general name calling and lynching that goes on when someone presents an opinion opposing to someone elses.

some of it stems from people believing the band is infallible and feeling the need to launch attacks on other members who maybe dont like something bono or larry or whoever has done.
its one thing to disagree with another personal opinion but another thing all together when members judge individuals on that opinion and start to make unjustified personal attacks on the poster.
i also hate the fact that because someone has 100x the post another member does, they think they know better and ARE better and will flex their forum muscle to put other members opinions down.

unfortunately bullying and group mentality is human nature but i do think when you take people away from face-to-face contact and hide them behind a monitor and a nickname, they'll think they can get away with more, there are no realy consequences to ones actions.

on the internet you're virtually (excuse the pun) untouchable. you can say what you like and no one is gonna cry in front of you, no one is gonna reach out and smack you one.
i think a lack of physical emotion is maybe why people can get boiled up and angry so easily on the internet. you dont have another persons reactions and expressions to bounce off when you're having a conversation and i think the inability to express ones discontent or anger at another person in a physical (i dont mean violence, just general body language) and vocal way is why posts tend to be over-aggressive and unnecessarily cruel - its overcompensating for that missing part of conversation.

it's far too easy online to say and do things you wouldnt normally and i do like to think that (hopefully) some of these nasty flamers and attackers aren't like that in real life.
that still doesnt excuse their behaviour here though and, not getting into a mod conversation here, i do wis there was tighter moderation on personal attacks which i think we see far too frequently.

Back
Top Bottom