LV Popmart- how unprepared were they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
ask a U2 fan what the worst concert they ever palyed was and more than not will say - Opening night of Popmart.

i owe a recording of this show and i am about to listen to it specifically to evaluate how unprepared they really were. i seem to recall (listened to it about 2 yrs ago) that it wasn't as bad as most think. obviously there is the Staring at the Sun flub, but other than that i don't think their are any really obvious problems. someone recent slagged Do You Fell Loved from this show, so i'm specifically going to give that a close listen, but my question is - what else did they screw up? could you make a list for me of the song and the part they screwed up.

ie) bono missed lyrics in wowy, or larry's drumming was too slow in Please, or something along those lines.

thanks, this will help me.

I was at the show and I didn’t think it was that bad. I thought the Anaheim 1 show from the present tour was worse. I also saw the DVD for it last night (Ana1) and Bono was really having problems. The band left half way through to sort something out. I’m sure that wasn’t planned. Tiffany, the girl Bono bought on stage, stole the show. A shame though that one of the 4 guys who had their spotlights on Bono didn’t put one on her.

I was at Dallas which was about 4 or 5 shows into the tour and they didn't have a clue what they were doing. Worst U2 show I ever saw. I could tell the show was unrehearsed and the new songs sounded like crap. I even like some songs off the Pop album and was disappointed hearing them live.

I even suffered through a terrible recording of the show to make sure the show was as bad as I remembered...it was.

Every other U2 show I've been to has been excellent.

Eliv8 said:
I was at the show and I didn’t think it was that bad. I thought the Anaheim 1 show from the present tour was worse. I also saw the DVD for it last night (Ana1) and Bono was really having problems. The band left half way through to sort something out. I’m sure that wasn’t planned. Tiffany, the girl Bono bought on stage, stole the show. A shame though that one of the 4 guys who had their spotlights on Bono didn’t put one on her.

:huh: Wow I didn't know about some of those things. That's a shame since the DVD quality is so good.

Last edited:
nobody reads this

I like Anaheim 1... the most turned around setlist ever :yes:

Last edited:
neutral said:

:huh: Wow I didn't know about some of those things. That's a shame since the quality is so good IMO.

The quality of the boot is great and I too loved the fact that they switched the playlist, but the night just didn’t flow. The energy and the heat of the room for the first 2 SD shows was not there in Anaheim, which really seemed to fall flat. If you listen to the boots you will hear that the crowd was a lot more prominent in SD. That’s pretty much how it was on the night/s.

Eliv8 said:

The quality of the boot is great and I too loved the fact that they switched the playlist, but the night just didn’t flow. The energy and the heat of the room for the first 2 SD shows was not there in Anaheim, which really seemed to fall flat. If you listen to the boots you will hear that the crowd was a lot more prominent in SD. That’s pretty much how it was on the night/s.

I was at the shows, Anaheim 2 was by far the best of the bunch.

The crowd might have seemed louder in SD because it's a much smaller arena, almost same number of people as Anaheim in a much tighter space. The acoustics as far as actually hearing the music are a LOT better in Anaheim, and by Anaheim 2 the band had found their stride a lot more. Not their greatest performance EVER by any means, but the best of the soCal shows and a decent show.

Look guys, i never was to any show, probably never will be, and i don't make such posts like: The girl stole the show.. or whatever.
U2 could make the worst show in the history of worst shows and i would be happy to see them live.

I only have an mp3 of DYFL from opening night; it's pretty good, but kind of empty; they should've included all the keyboard/effects stuff from the album on a backing track. also it was too slow. it does sound under rehearsed.

I'd love to hear the rest of this show if anyone has it.

btw, I had a vhs copy of "u2: a year in pop" back in the day; there was some live footage from that 1st night.

speaking of that tv show, I remember it being not terrible, but it should've been on vh1 instead of abc.

okay apparently, i will be the only one commenting on LV POpmart.
some songs do feel alittle empty, not 100% perfected. Gone, first 1/2 of discotheque. but i must say i love the version of Velvet Dress. they added a melody in the middle that i've never heard on any other show. they shoulda kept it! also with or without you sounds noticeably good. in the first half or so something sounds different from other pop shows. it's either the more prominent loop of the backing track, or the drums. can someone else confirm that the drums are different (?)

Back
Top Bottom