Lure of U2 draws churchgoers to special services

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Wasn't sure where to post this, so mods please move as needed...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rh..._of_u2_draws_churchgoers_to_special_services/

Lure of U2 draws churchgoers to special services
By Ray Henry, Associated Press Writer | April 1, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --As the electric guitar in a U2 anthem faded from four speakers, the Rev. Robert Brooks welcomed worshippers to Grace Episcopal Church with an unusual suggestion: He warned them to protect their hearing.

"If the sound's an issue, we do have earplugs available," he said.

Ushers handed out complementary ear plugs and fluorescent glow sticks for this "U2 Eucharist," a communion service punctuated by the Irish band's rock music. In Episcopal parishes from California to Maine, believers are weaving U2's Biblically laced music into the denomination's traditionally formal liturgy.

Multicolor streamers flew over worshippers' heads at this service. Children danced by the altar. Plasma-screen TVs illuminated the gothic sanctuary. Some people sang and clapped. A few looked puzzled.

Brooks said the special service is part of an effort to reinvigorate his congregation by infusing it with young people and those interested in social activism. The service included an offering for local charities and enlisted volunteers for the One Campaign, an effort to alleviate global poverty that's backed by U2's lead singer, Bono.

"We absolutely need to grow in order to survive," Brooks said.

Weeks before the service, church members conducted what Brooks called "guerrilla marketing," posting fliers at coffee and sandwich shops, bars and colleges. About 130 people showed up for the Friday night service, roughly the same turnout as a Sunday morning.

A similar U2 Eucharist in November proved popular at All Saints' Church in Atlanta. Organizer Laurie Haynes Burlington said she and her husband planned on 300 worshippers. About 500 showed up.

"We totally ran out of bulletins," she said.

U2 Eucharists appear to have been limited so far to Episcopal churches. No one tracks how many parishes have put them on, but the service in Providence was based on a playlist created by the Rev. Paige Blair, a parish priest in York Harbor, Maine.

Her format has spread by word-of-mouth and on clergy e-mail lists. She's received calls from more than a dozen interested churches and helped put on the service in Providence.

Christian Scharen, 39, a Lutheran pastor and professor at Yale Divinity School, said he's often argued to older colleagues that U2 is heavily influenced by Christianity. He wrote a book on the subject out this year, "One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God," and says it doesn't surprise him that churches have caught on to U2.

"People who have these liturgical resonances in their bones, they go to a U2 concert and they just get it," Scharen said. "In some sense, I think it was just a matter of time before this started happening."

Bono has told interviewers that he worships God through music. He once belonged to an ascetic Christian community. The band's early tapes were sold in religious bookstores. In February, Bono spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast.

But band members also swear, drink and sing about sex, all anathema to conservative denominations, Scharen said. He believes Episcopal churches are experimenting with U2 because the denomination encourages members to look for the divine in the worldly.

"They don't make the stark divide between heaven and earth, between the church and the world," he said.

It's not known whether U2's band members would endorse such services: Blair said she received permission from U2's publishing company to use the band's music, but never talked to the band. Representatives for U2 did not return phone calls seeking comment.

At the Providence service, Blair delivered a homily to pitch the One Campaign, which the Episcopal Church supports. She ticked off statistics about poverty and infant mortality in Africa, underscoring her points with equal parts Bono and Bible.

"If you're a Bono fan, you know the next line: Where you live should not determine whether you live or die," she said, then borrowed from the Gospels. "What divides the goats from the sheep, those that take up the cross and follow him, is whether they took care of those in need."

The service attracted several curious, including Andera Soracco, 51, a U2 fan who's Eastern Orthodox.

"This is a way of bringing the outside world into the church itself," he said.

The opening hymn was one of the band's earliest hits, "Pride (In the Name of Love)." As the music played, pictures of famous believers including Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr. flashed on a 10-by-14 foot screen set up behind the church's altar.

Several songs included in the service sound more like angry lamentations than hymns of praise. "Peace on Earth," inspired by a deadly bombing in Northern Ireland, questions why God won't halt human suffering.

"Jesus can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line," Bono sings.

Some Christians might not be able to relate to the shades of doubt and anger, but Blair said that struggle is evident in the Bible.

For example, Bono echoes the 40th Psalm in the opening lines of the band's song "40," belting out "I waited patiently for the Lord. He inclined and heard my cry."

While U2 has conquered the Top 40 charts, it hasn't won a place in the Episcopal church's authorized hymnal, yet.

"I seriously think the day will come," Blair said. "There's a gift they have in speaking to the human soul."

Interesting article.

I've heard Still Haven't found played at a church before.

Though I can't imagine my mum, who goes to church every week singing along to Beautiful Day. (in fact that would be quite horrendous)

does your mum sing along to 'Pop' music in an embarassing voice like she's singing flaming opera too?!

Give me a good Baptist sing-along about God smiting your sorry ass and perseverence, as well as black ladies in beautiful hats over a U2-enriched ceremony any day :|

I love this idea, my youth group has tried it out, and it would be awesome to propose this idea to my youth pastor, basing a service around U2 music...EXcellent

I don't like the idea at all. People should go to church if they believe in God, not because they like the music they play there. To me it just seems like a ploy to get people into the church.

I guess it comes down to personal choice though. If people want to go to this church, I'm not gonna stop them.

blueeyedgirl said:
Inneresting, but not even U2 will drag my sorry arse into any church :|

You heathen! :ohmy:

:wink:

Of course, I got all excited when I saw the word church, but then was crushed when I realised it was about a "real" church... :grumpy:

blueeyedgirl said:
Well, Indra, looks like you and I are hell bound together, heading towards that other "choich".....:yes:

It does appear that we are indeed heading south. *

:yes:

* don't you like how I managed to work that Church song in there? :D

Personally, I'm all for this. I spent the first 18 years of my life having religion hit me over the head. I spent the next 15 hitting back and congratulating myself for being so enlightened. Now, it seems that religion won by rope-a-doping me. I'm tired of punching and they're still there. Actually, religion didn't even know we were fighting, but I suppose that God did.

I don't mean to overstate the case, but the religious references in U2's music have been just about my only connection to religion in my adult years. Those clever bastards made it just subtle enough to keep me interested. U2's music is undeniably great; but speaking for myself personally, I suppose it has always been the thread of God throughout the music that has kept my sorry ass coming back for more.

However, more than this, it's action (particularly Bono's action) that inspires. You can say (or sing) good things, or have good intentions in your heart; but if that's as far as it goes then your your good words/thoughts aren't worth much are they? U2 (and Bono) didn't just pay lip service to this stuff and then sit around counting their money, did they? If that's all they were, I know I wouldn't be interested in them. Action is what's important.

As for this lost soul, I'll be visiting my local Episcopal church very soon (and not to hear U2 music, but because it sounds like they're humble enough to reach out to where the sheep might be).

blueeyedgirl said:
Well, Indra, looks like you and I are hell bound together, heading towards that other "choich".....:yes:

Nope you aren't alone, add me to the list. Although I am not an atheist, I do know I don't need to go to some Bldg. to feel spiritual or religious. Organized religion scares me. It's so cult-ish.

Release Release Release!!!!

Those sound like great churches! Wish one was close to me! :yes:

Val said:
I'm not sure about this...I can almost see Bono cringing

I don't know. It doesn't sound like they are playing U2 at fire-and-brimstone churches that preach intolerance toward gays, feminists and those "Godless liberals." I've been to a few Episcopalian services and the atmosphere there seems very tolerant and progressive.

Knuckle said:
Personally, I'm all for this. I spent the first 18 years of my life having religion hit me over the head. I spent the next 15 hitting back and congratulating myself for being so enlightened. Now, it seems that religion won by rope-a-doping me. I'm tired of punching and they're still there. Actually, religion didn't even know we were fighting, but I suppose that God did.

I don't mean to overstate the case, but the religious references in U2's music have been just about my only connection to religion in my adult years. Those clever bastards made it just subtle enough to keep me interested. U2's music is undeniably great; but speaking for myself personally, I suppose it has always been the thread of God throughout the music that has kept my sorry ass coming back for more.

However, more than this, it's action (particularly Bono's action) that inspires. You can say (or sing) good things, or have good intentions in your heart; but if that's as far as it goes then your your good words/thoughts aren't worth much are they? U2 (and Bono) didn't just pay lip service to this stuff and then sit around counting their money, did they? If that's all they were, I know I wouldn't be interested in them. Action is what's important.

As for this lost soul, I'll be visiting my local Episcopal church very soon (and not to hear U2 music, but because it sounds like they're humble enough to reach out to where the sheep might be).

Wow, Knuckle, I felt like I reading something I might have written. Actually, you probably did a much better job than I would have.

It surprises me a bit that it's the Episcopal Church that is taking the lead in this; I always thought of that denomination as a bit "high church" and right behind Catholicism in terms of liturgy, symbols, and ritual (which hold little appeal for me). I may have to rethink that position -- and/or continue to seek "what I'm looking for." (sorry, couldn't resist.)

Back
Top Bottom