LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting sentiment re alt Troubles. Are we saying his vindicates the invisible/superb owl fiasco given they improved the song?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i think the idea that "invisible" fell flat live is shared by U2, and the reason for the album delay.

it's a great song on record, and it was reasonably popular so it made the cut for the tour, but i think they got freaked out about how the so-called DM album was going to translate live.

we can talk about how we want slinky grooves and "experimental" U2 and think this says something about our taste level -- but if it doesn't translate live, it's not happening for them.

Interesting sentiment re alt Troubles. Are we saying his vindicates the invisible/superb owl fiasco given they improved the song?

Yes and yes.

Raised by Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like a Baby
Reach Me Now
Troubles
Crystal Ballroom
Invisible

The SOI era gave me some of the songs I enjoy the most on U2's entire portfolio. I still can't believe they have spent their time promoting Miracle, EBW or Song for Someone.. which are just boring. The kind of songs that no one still wants to hear from them.

After 40 years of career if they think that the so called "DM path" is not feasible live, then it's probably time to hire some guys to play with them live. The other option is just doing the same stuff all over again - they have explored pretty much everything with Drums+Bass+Guitar. If this is the option again then I'm all for greatest hits tours. Just stop promoting poor songs.

I think the first part of the song is Bono talking to his dad(obviously), then the song transitions to after he left and joined the band or joined the movement. When he sings a body in a soul, he's talking about when it's just him he's just Paul, but as part of U2 he's a part of this living breathing soul. A sum is better than its parts. And as Tim said the band and the audience have the same relationship; the sum is better than the parts. Therefore there is no them...

Disagree here; I still think he's talking about Bob on the second verse. "I don't even think about you that much/unless I start to think at all" , "Your frozen ways", is referring to someone and I don't know who else it would be, plus the emotion in his voice during "your face like snow" makes me think it's quite personal.

Not to mention that "You don't see me but you will" isn't just a declaration of ambition to the big, indifferent London scene, but it's also defiance in the face of Bob's pessimism at Bono's chosen career path.

Cheers,
J

???

Wonder how many people got this

:hyper:

:angry: fuck that guy

Cheers,
J

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

Thanks to my days at another forum...

No... It was produced entirely by Danger Mouse so was likely done prior to the Super Bowl

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...tion-the-troubles-songs-of-innocence-20140911

They changed it in summer 2014, and Lykke Li had to re-record her vocals. True whether the alternate existed before then is questioned in the article, but your assumptions about it being DM, therefore pre delay were the same as mine about the alternate version.

Last edited:
Disagree here; I still think he's talking about Bob on the second verse. "I don't even think about you that much/unless I start to think at all" , "Your frozen ways", is referring to someone and I don't know who else it would be, plus the emotion in his voice during "your face like snow" makes me think it's quite personal.

Not to mention that "You don't see me but you will" isn't just a declaration of ambition to the big, indifferent London scene, but it's also defiance in the face of Bob's pessimism at Bono's chosen career path.

:hyper:

:angry: fuck that guy

Yeah, I didn't mean second verse, I meant everything after 'body in a soul'.

So, what do you guys think of Invisible?

A "good" song that had potential to be bigger, but was merely released in time to give them exposure for the Super Bowl Ads. They knew that song was not a "Fire Cracker" otherwise they would have kept it for the album.

Personally, I'm not fond of Random songs released that are not part of an album... :shrug:

They're a nice treat to receive from the band and quality stuff though

Last edited:
That chorus really needed an explosion like Beautiful Day, Streets, COBL, etc. Maybe they'll modify the song a little bit and amp it up for the next leg, but I don't expect them to ever play it again.
Maybe an "innocence" themed encore on a future tour or if they tighten up the innocence part of the set to a few songs like Invisible/Reach-Miracle/Reach-IWF-Iris-CW-Troubles-Wolves-UTEOW.
I assume the show will shift more heavy to experience, but still retain the war horses. Because God knows they won't play 30+ songs to fit it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. The pre-chorus "I'm more than you know" bit was very strong and should have led to a HUGE chorus hook but fell flat right after. The real chorus of the song is "There is no them, only us" which appears at the end...The structure is just strange and doesn't work quite well in my opinion.

U2 announce world tour, hint new album nearly ready

Brian Boyd may say he's reporting on the news coming out of Valencia, but he knows what's really up. He's been a good source on U2 in the past.

Of particular note is this quote -
Bono said “you might see a few things in September or October” meaning an album launch or a special one-off show to mark the band’s 40th anniversary on September 25th."

also

It is likely that the forthcoming Songs of Experience will have a low-key release and given the significance of their 40th anniversary, could feature a launch in their hometown.

Last edited:

Brian Boyd may say he's reporting on the news coming out of Valencia, but he knows what's really up. He's been a good source on U2 in the past.

With all the recent info that came through, Do you really think that the album is finished (as far as songs, track listing is concerned) ? What stage ar they at ? Mixing and adding final touches ?

Why would Bono specifically drop September or October ? First Single in October, Album End of November ?

With all the recent info that came through, Do you really think that the album is finished (as far as songs, track listing is concerned) ? What stage ar they at ? Mixing and adding final touches ?

it's done I think. anything else you hear is misdirection

also

Good find. He says a few things which i haven't heard anywhere else, which further suggests he has his own source.

"Songs of Experience will deal with the sudden rush of fame they had in the 1980’s beginning with their Live Aid concert experience and becoming the biggest rock band in the world on the release of 1987’s The Joshua Tree."

Hadn't heard that anywhere else, which is interesting for an article mainly relaying the U2espana report.

So perhaps a special one-off show on their anniversary, where they celebrate by releasing the album/debuting + playing the single?

it's done I think. anything else you hear is misdirection

My thoughts too. The 2014 pattern is here again (Band on Vacation end of July and August) while the album prep is being done (Cover design and all that jazz). They wouldn't be slacking off like that if they were nowhere near completion and confident enough to announce the 2017 leg of the tour. They've always kicked off their tour in the spring...

Good find. He says a few things which i haven't heard anywhere else, which further suggests he has his own source.

"Songs of Experience will deal with the sudden rush of fame they had in the 1980’s beginning with their Live Aid concert experience and becoming the biggest rock band in the world on the release of 1987’s The Joshua Tree."

Hadn't heard that anywhere else, which is interesting for an article mainly relaying the U2espana report.

So perhaps a special one-off show on their anniversary, where they celebrate by releasing the album/debuting + playing the single?

he's not bullshitting. real deal. informed source. bank on it.

and get to Dublin if you can that weekend

This talk of a low key release is interesting... I wonder if it's reacting to the bad reception with Apple/SoI, or if they're confident enough in the material not to do anything gimmicky with it.

I think after 2 albums that failed to yield a hit, it would become pretty obvious that big publicity statements for album launches are desperate and hollow attempts to remain relevant that miss out the most important part - music that's good enough.

I think they're hoping the single will do the "talking" for them.

Guess this means theyre feeling confident in it :sexywink:

i think i said this a while ago (or thread or two ago) -

New single or album in Sept/Oct and new tour in early 2017.

Why didn't you all listen to me sooner? I am your inside sauce !

All systems go !! This is always an exciting time to be a U2 fan.:applaud:

Keep an eye on the weeks from Sept, 23rd til Oct. 5th (iHeart to Dreamforce)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom