LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
War, UF, JT, AB

An incredible quartet of consecutive albums in terms of how they sound.

Oh and there is a song that I reckon comes close to sounding like it could have been on UF. When I Look At The World.

Promenade :heart:

And speaking of Love Comes Tumbling, the quality of some of the b-sides from that era is stunning. Love Comes Tumbling, Boomerang, Walk to the Water, Wild Irish Rose.....

God, I love this band so much.

Pretty amazing that one band were able to create two masterpieces that different from each other, huh? And that's not even to mention The Joshua Tree.

That's the remarkable thing to have JT right in the middle, what a threesome of albums. Id like to put those three against another bands 3 albumsalbums.

I had Promenade played at my wedding just phenomenal song

But without a doubt, U2's absolute masterpiece among all their great albums is "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". It would be understandable if the new album is unable to top it.

The UF era has to be the richest in terms of b-sides. It's absolutely mindboggling that Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, and Boomerang II missed the album, or why they didn't choose Bass Trap as the instrumental instead of 4th of July.

This is my custom UF, which I find thoroughly satisfying:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Elvis Presley and America
12. MLK
13. Pride

But without a doubt, U2's absolute masterpiece among all their great albums is "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". It would be understandable if the new album is unable to top it.

That is certainly a unique opinion.

The UF era has to be the richest in terms of b-sides. It's absolutely mindboggling that Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, and Boomerang II missed the album, or why they didn't choose Bass Trap as the instrumental instead of 4th of July.

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
12. MLK
13. Pride

Bass Trap was played on a loop at our wedding as guests were arriving at the reception.

Apart from ATYCLB, literally every U2 album tops HTDAAB.

My fridge's humming sometimes tops HTDAAB.

Big deal. Over the course of their career, Rush has released 24 gold records and 14 platinum records (3 of which have gone multi-platinum) placing them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band.

Big deal :) so Rush have made 38 records and sold roughly around 40 million, u2 have sold 150-160 million off 17 records (including waia) rush's biggest seller sold around 4 million u2's around 27 million. Rush arent in the same country nevermind the same league as u2 when it comes to the size of the band.

Just cause there records went gold and platinum dosent mean much when theres loads of other bands selling loads more

What you saying rush are the third biggest band ever? :)

I'm always jealous of people who haven't yet dived into U2's full discography. There are 11 other albums waiting for you buddy.

Nice to wake up this morning to see that this thread has turned into so much TUF love, as it's far and away my favourite U2 record. God took up full time residency at Slane Castle when U2, Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois created this masterpiece.

And yeah, put all the b-sides from this era together and you have an album that's better than more than half the band's discography. Just an embarrassment of riches. My playlist of TUF+B-sides is something I can keep coming back to remind myself of the kind music these guys have been capable of making. You don't have to make excuses for that music, or talk yourself into reasons why you like it, it just speaks for itself. It's also clearly U2's most visual album, and you can almost see the colours, patterns and textures moving around you when you listen.

Play TUF+b-sides w/headphones on and you've got a sonic dream landscape of sublime perfection.

Someone should forward this lovely quote to the band:

"U2's records take a long time to make not because the band members are stuck for ideas but because they never stop talking about them."

-- Brian Eno

Someone should forward this lovely quote to the band:

"U2's records take a long time to make not because the band members are stuck for ideas but because they never stop talking about them."

-- Brian Eno

And it seems their fans never stop talking about them either. :)

Good quote though...Eno was complaining about U2's work habits as far back as TUF. It's just that back then they were a real band...meaning, being in the band and making the music was pretty much their life. And since they weren't the biggest band in the world yet, they had to operate on some kind of deadline. Clearly that's no longer the case (understandably, they have families and lives).

Post War, it seems like Eno and Lanois have been the only producers (so far) that have been really able to reign these guys in and bring out the best music in them. There's probably a reason that partnership has been so successful. Without those two U2 are a different band.

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. The Three Sunrises
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
12. MLK
13. Pride

Hey Ax :wave: good to see you, this is a great running order, it seriously flows seamlessly, great job on the site I'm there almost every day.

Nice to wake up this morning to see that this thread has turned into so much TUF love, as it's far and away my favourite U2 record. God took up full time residency at Slane Castle when U2, Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois created this masterpiece.

And yeah, put all the b-sides from this era together and you have an album that's better than more than half the band's discography. Just an embarrassment of riches. My playlist of TUF+B-sides is something I can keep coming back to remind myself of the kind music these guys have been capable of making. You don't have to make excuses for that music, or talk yourself into reasons why you like it, it just speaks for itself. It's also clearly U2's most visual album, and you can almost see the colours, patterns and textures moving around you when you listen.

Play TUF+b-sides w/headphones on and you've got a sonic dream landscape of sublime perfection.

Nice to see that TUF is still receiving love this morning, great post Nick, it seems to me it was kinda something where all of the stars aligned perfectly, Slane, Eno/Lanois, post-War Bono and The Edge's up to that point seminal work.

Rush arent in the same country...

Um, yeah. Rush is Canadian. U2 is Irish. Do try to keep up.

...nevermind the same league as u2 when it comes to the size of the band.

Um, yeah. Of course U2 is bigger. They have four band members, Rush only has three (Geddy Lee does what Bono and Adam do combined).

(sigh)

Why do you hate Canadians so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom