LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're joking...but that aside, I could see how people feel that way. I think it works because sound-wise it fits right into the album. It doesn't sound like it was torn from another session in some other studio or a left over song from a previous album (which for all I know, maybe it was but it doesn't sound that way is the point).

It is worth noting here that Pride originated on the War Tour (soundcheck at the Hawaii show, apparently), which is why it is the only song on UF that really harks strongly back to the sound and style of their first three albums. To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the album originated after the tour, during the UF sessions.

It is worth noting here that Pride originated on the War Tour (soundcheck at the Hawaii show, apparently), which is why it is the only song on UF that really harks strongly back to the sound and style of their first three albums. To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the album originated after the tour, during the UF sessions.

Wow, thanks for sharing that, I never knew, but it makes a lot of sense.

Yea, I knew I read something having to do with Pride being pre-TUF. Think it was in the Into The Heart book.

Anyway, I think soundwise it definitely feels at home on the album, whereas a song like The Refugee would be hilariously out of place.

I didn't know that. I love Pride, and it's clearly incredibly important, to both TUF and U2's history in general, but it does kind of stand out in a record that otherwise flows pretty seemlessly. Interesting that there's actually some historical validity to the notion that Pride's a bit out of place on that record. Don't get me wrong, TUF's a better record w/Pride on it...but the song's sound is definitely unique among those tracks.

Sounds like the people here who were picking up on that were pretty perceptive. Thanks for posting this. :up:

The original version of Pride had anti-Reagan lyrics too. I'd love to hear that.

Wire and ISS are beautiful transitions from War to TUF.

Yeah true, and I thought of that after posting. Though neither has that kind of anthemic stadium chorus vibe that Pride has in common with pre-UF songs like NYD, Gloria, SBS, IWF, etc. Wire in particular has a very prominent current of darkness quite unlike most of U2's previous material; sure, songs like Surrender, Tomorrow, The Electric Co., and such are quite dark, but I feel there's something new introduced to the band's sonic expression with songs like Wire.

Yes, this early origin of Pride has been discussed a few times. I still don't feel that it means that it doesn't belong on TUF. It fits just fine by me, and I think there are other songs on TUF (ie, Wire) that easily could be said to give a nod to the earlier days. To say that it's the only song that doesn't flow with the rest the album is ridiculous and is probably largely an unwitting by product of the "sick of Pride at every show" sentiment.

Wire and ISS are beautiful transitions from War to TUF.

:up:

Indian Summer Sky is one of the most underrated songs in U2's back catalog. Lyrically, it's as poetic as anything Bono's ever written:

To lose along the way the spark that set the flame
To flicker and to fade, on this the longest day

The light that strikes the tallest trees
Will light a way for I
Will light a way
Up towards the sky

Brilliant stuff.

:up:

Indian Summer Sky is one of the most underrated songs in U2's back catalog. Lyrically, it's as poetic as anything Bono's ever written:

To lose along the way the spark that set the flame
To flicker and to fade, on this the longest day

The light that strikes the tallest trees
Will light a way for I
Will light a way
Up towards the sky

Brilliant stuff.

:up::up::up:

Bono was a poet on that record. If Achtung Baby was urban graffiti, The Unforgettable Fire was an impressionist masterpiece.

Indian Summer Sky is grossly underrated. I love that song and I imagine if I sat down and made a U2 top thirty right now it would probably feature.

Yes, this early origin of Pride has been discussed a few times. I still don't feel that it means that it doesn't belong on TUF. It fits just fine by me, and I think there are other songs on TUF (ie, Wire) that easily could be said to give a nod to the earlier days. To say that it's the only song that doesn't flow with the rest the album is ridiculous and is probably largely an unwitting by product of the "sick of Pride at every show" sentiment.

I didn't say it doesn't flow, but it does stick out. It is, after all, the only really obvious single, and the only song that really goes for a rousing anthemic style. The rest of the album tends to go for either a more hazy, out of focus feel, or in a darker direction - and that's exactly why I think Pride is good on the album, because UF needed an anthem as an anchor, and it does help establish continuity from previous albums after the clear departure in style that is ASOH.

Though in my own custom UF tracklist, I find Pride works surprisingly well as the album closer, preceded by MLK as an intro.

Indian Summer Sky is grossly underrated. I love that song and I imagine if I sat down and made a U2 top thirty right now it would probably feature.

I didn't say it doesn't flow, but it does stick out. It is, after all, the only really obvious single, and the only song that really goes for a rousing anthemic style. The rest of the album tends to go for either a more hazy, out of focus feel, or in a darker direction - and that's exactly why I think Pride is good on the album, because UF needed an anthem as an anchor, and it does help establish continuity from previous albums after the clear departure in style that is ASOH.

Though in my own custom UF tracklist, I find Pride works surprisingly well as the album closer, preceded by MLK as an intro.

I get what you're saying, but in terms of anthemic Bad easily springs to mind for me, even if its not as obvious a single (its length being a factor maybe?)

But I understand that you personally don't believe Pride 'doesn't belong' :up:

I'm sure I'm the only one going say this but UF is probably my favorite U2 album. Is it their best? No. I'd give that between JT and AB.
I was in 7th grade, listening to Van Halen and Led Zeppelin and here on mtv comes this video....a golden sheen against the black and white...THAT guitar riff....the sound.....the military drums.....Bono looking like a poet and preacher that was actually truthful....that chorus.....and the damn thing finishes by lamenting MLK......when I see it now and the look of despair among the old lady's face only to be replaced by the young boy dancing joyfully after Bono throws the mic in the air.....ahhh man......to be 13 again and have alot of what you learn shaped by a fucking SONG.......a song that counts....

I get what you're saying, but in terms of anthemic Bad easily springs to mind for me, even if its not as obvious a single (its length being a factor maybe?)

But I understand that you personally don't believe Pride 'doesn't belong' :up:

Bad's the song that became anthemic almost despite itself, if you get my drift. It's this amazing sprawling song of longing, despair, and all the other emotions that get bound up in experiencing or witnessing the devastation of addiction, and by building to that massive climax it becomes anthemic even though it doesn't really start out that way or necessarily even seems to be aiming for it. The live performances certainly helped cement its status.

I'm sure I'm the only one going say this but UF is probably my favorite U2 album. Is it their best? No. I'd give that between JT and AB.

I've been banging on that UF is my favourite and their best for my entire time around these parts. One of my top three albums of all time.

TUF cemented my love of U2. Exactly like Jofo so eloquently said that album.... not only Pride but Bad, ASOH, TUF Promenade all of that album was different in the music landscape. In my high school you had fans of Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd and yes Rush Van Helen got alot of attention I can go on and on. But those songs and videos, ASOH watching the band walk through those frozen landscapes. The songs took me there. Bad possibility the best U2 sing of all time. When I think of that album it takes me back to that place and time, those songs spoke to me. Now if you ask me I have a hard time saying which of TUF, JT, AB is my favorite, it could just be the mood I'm in at the time, because I like them all. But I will forever love U2 because of TUF.

This last page or so has been a great read, hearing people speak with knowledge and passion about songs I've loved for a long time is so nice.:up:

Someone mentioned the Cocteau Twins earlier who I love and the UF has that strange otherworldly out of time magic thing going on for me. I get it from MOTD and WOWY too, actually I get it from quite a lot of their songs. haha, oh man, I think I'll just shut up. Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, but I know what I mean anyway lol. tiredness and a few cold ones does make a man babble:doh:

I know it's not always calm or a love-in here but I wish I'd joined long ago :D

By the way, is my use of smileys frowned on here? some sites don't like them?

TUF cemented my love of U2. Exactly like Jofo so eloquently said that album.... not only Pride but Bad, ASOH, TUF Promenade all of that album was different in the music landscape. In my high school you had fans of Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd and yes Rush Van Helen got alot of attention I can go on and on. But those songs and videos, ASOH watching the band walk through those frozen landscapes. The songs took me there. Bad possibility the best U2 sing of all time. When I think of that album it takes me back to that place and time, those songs spoke to me. Now if you ask me I have a hard time saying which of TUF, JT, AB is my favorite, it could just be the mood I'm in at the time, because I like them all. But I will forever love U2 because of TUF.

You know, a lot of what makes an album special, besides the actual songs (i.e. lyrics/melodies instrument parts) is HOW these sounds are recorded. They had something really special on UF....that open sound and feel is no pro tools reverb plug in.....that's the sound of a band playing in an open space captured by well positioned microphones (props to Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite).
I agree with all that have praised all the songs on UF....to me there's not a dud amongst them.
Bad, MLK, ASOH, Pride, Wire, Promenade, UF, EPAA, even ISS....the original recordings of those songs still bring a , I dunno....sense of foreverness (if that's a word).
BTW, Miles Davis, one of the greatest jazz, or any style, musicians who ever lived, died in 1991. If you don't know his legacy, look it up. It's something to behold. Anyways...
The story is that while on his death bed, Miles requested to hear The Unforgettable Fire over and over. Now, I don't know about any of you, but that is some heavy fucking shit to me, and Miles was not even close to being a fan of rock and roll, except for Hendrix and Michael Jackson....and he said some kind words about Sting.

The story is that while on his death bed, Miles requested to hear The Unforgettable Fire over and over. Now, I don't know about any of you, but that is some heavy fucking shit to me

That's cool. Was it the song or the whole album?

Whole album.

Man, ASOH, promenade, Bad and MLK would be pretty powerful if you were on your death bed, especially MLK.

U2's music has something extra, something that touches people even if it's not their style of music.

Is there a link to that Miles Davis story at all JOFO?

I have heard it since 1991 from musician friends, but I believe it was confirmed in Bill Flanagan's book.

Got shivers watching the Pride video. I think it's time to find all the live footage of UF songs on youtube.

I really feel the need to hear Drowning Man and Surrender too:D

I have heard it since 1991 from musician friends, but I believe it was confirmed in Bill Flanagan's book.

Thanks JOFO :up: I'll have to download that book, I've only read 3 or 4 U2 books in my time I'm ashamed to say. Will the band be ashamed of me too?
ohmy.gif
sad.gif

To be honest I can't even remember if I read that book. It's been over twenty or so years and my memory is not so great from back then :crack:

:up::up::up:

Bono was a poet on that record. If Achtung Baby was urban graffiti, The Unforgettable Fire was an impressionist masterpiece.

Well said :up:

These are two of the greatest rock records of all time, and they sound like they're by two different bands. That's truly remarkable.

It's lovely to see how many people here appreciate TUF. I love Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree to death, but TUF has always been my favorite U2 album.....favorite album by any band in fact.

Going back to the old vinyl days, Side 1 of UF is just about the greatest thing they ever did. Side 2 not far behind. And yes that's a bit silly knowing that Bad is on Side 2. Silly to split hairs.

It's frustrutating a little that in the 30 years since they haven't really gone close to recapturing this sound. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but the "All these frozen days" part of Invisible goes close I reckon.

I've never been able to get into side 2. Other than Bad, it doesn't have a great deal of heft behind it. Two tracks are short ambient pieces, one is a classic (though superior live) and the other two are quite divisive.

The first half, on the other hand, is A+ quality. Not a less than stellar moment for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've never been able to get into side 2. Other than Bad, it doesn't have a great deal of heft behind it. Two tracks are short ambient pieces, one is a classic (though superior live) and the other two are quite divisive.

The first half, on the other hand, is A+ quality. Not a less than stellar moment for 20 minutes.

I agree that the overall song quality is better on the first half of TUF (which is absolutely amazing). But the second half works with the first half to create such a beautiful, captivating mood for the album that it's difficult to complain.

The Unforgettable Fire is definitely my favorite 80s U2 album, and probably my third favorite U2 album overall (after Achtung Baby and Zooropa). It's truly a masterpiece.

Also, I should throw in some praise for a wonderful and unappreciated U2 song: Promenade. I love that little song.

Wow, to hear all of the love for UF is astounding fir some reason to me. A great point was brought up earlier that had never occurred to me. Achtung was incredibly so different than UF that it is hard to believe it's the same band. But somehow there's a common thread through them and how lucky we are that we can enjoy such a diverse band.

Wow, to hear all of the love for UF is astounding fir some reason to me. A great point was brought up earlier that had never occurred to me. Achtung was incredibly so different than UF that it is hard to believe it's the same band. But somehow there's a common thread through them and how lucky we are that we can enjoy such a diverse band.

Pretty amazing that one band were able to create two masterpieces that different from each other, huh? And that's not even to mention The Joshua Tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom