LP13 - The Final Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Given some of the things said in this forum, that one strikes me as an odd one to take issue with. You could argue that the super-dramatic treatment Blige gives it destroys all the brooding and nuance of the original; therefore she didn't really capture the spirit of it. Just one possible interpretation, and not an absurd one at all.

It's pretty absurd

Update: U2AlQueda wishes death on all U2 fans in America and also says that the album will be out within a month.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If you don't like it, hey, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes.

But to say that she "sounds like she doesn't even know what the song is about" is one of the most asinine comments I've ever read on these boards, and this is a place that used to have a member who claimed in seriousness to have invented the retractable roof stadium.

I really really want to know how the fuck one came to that conclusion, for the statement has blown my fucking mind.

I disagree, I don't think the comment's asinine at all. You might disagree, but I think it's a fair observation.

I think Blige's performance, while vocally brilliant, lacks the nuance and kind of dark irony, IMO, that the song requires. She could basically be singing about anything there. She's showing off her vocal range, which is fine, but to me the performance sounds oddly detached from the song's subject matter.

I like how U2Valencia just does a quote from a band member about 2 albums but doesn't back it up with anything or say who said it.

I was just thinking how surprised I was that there wasn't more chatter about this here. Could they do a Use Your Illusion type of release??
I would think that would be absolutely crazy. It made sense at the time, when CD's and tapes were king. But now, there's no way people other than big fans would shell out the money to get two albums. It would drive people to download the few songs they really like and that's about it.

Now if they could do a looong album with about 18-20 songs, and then strike a deal with Apple to keep the price at 9.99 if you buy the whole album. Could really drive album sales up, even for fairweather fans... or curious music fans.

The wait has been so long it would be great to get 20 songs, especially if they feel they are finished. They could release singles for 2 years and go on tour with lots of new material instead of a greatest hits tour.

Am I the only one that finds it odd suspicious horrifying that the article kicking off this thread, the one that apparently includes confirmation from an Interscope rep, has this headline:

Ultimate Music | U2 to release new album this fall. RedOne, David Guetta, will.i.am involved!

That can't possibly true, can it? The album really has RedOne, Guetta, and will.i.am IN ADDITION to Tedder and Epworth and DangerMouse?

Given some of the things said in this forum, that one strikes me as an odd one to take issue with. You could argue that the super-dramatic treatment Blige gives it destroys all the brooding and nuance of the original; therefore she didn't really capture the spirit of it. Just one possible interpretation, and not an absurd one at all.

Mary J feels all the feels

Am I the only one that finds it odd suspicious horrifying that the article kicking off this thread, the one that apparently includes confirmation from an Interscope rep, has this headline:

Ultimate Music | U2 to release new album this fall. RedOne, David Guetta, will.i.am involved!

That can't possibly true, can it? The album really has RedOne, Guetta, and will.i.am IN ADDITION to Tedder and Epworth and DangerMouse?

That article is pretty suspect.. it's barely even coherent

all they've done cite every producer who's been mentioned over the past years to be associated with U2 in some way.

I disagree, I don't think the comment's asinine at all. You might disagree, but I think it's a fair observation.

I think Blige's performance, while vocally brilliant, lacks the nuance and kind of dark irony, IMO, that the song requires. She could basically be singing about anything there. She's showing off her vocal range, which is fine, but to me the performance sounds oddly detached from the song's subject matter.

It's an absurd statement to make because U2 themselves have never locked the song down to one meaning.

It's about the band almost breaking up during the achtung baby recording... Its about the band's personal issues, namely The Edge's marriage... Its about German reunification... Its about AIDS, and a father and son having a difficult conversation... It's about the "hippy ideal of oneness"...

All of these things have been discussed as inspiration for the song at one time or another. And that's the greatness of the song... It leaves it open to interpretation, which allows it to connect to so many more people.

The overlying theme in all of the many inspirations is unity, togetherness... And how the hell you get that someone can't figure that out based off her vocal stylings is beyond my level of comprehension.

For what it's worth, I hate the MJB version of One, and I'm a huge fan of hers. I feel like it was just too much belting in terms of how I feel about the song. For some that song is grandiose and anthemic and a vocal like that makes sense. For some the song is restrained and emotional and a vocal like that completely subverts the meaning of the song for these people. To each their own :shrug:

I had completely forgotten about U2Kitten :lmao: I especially enjoyed the comedy value as she went on for weeks defending that claim. Didn't she say she thought of the general idea before the first one was built, and used that as the basis of her "inventing" it?

As far as the new album goes, it better have some sick beats and dope rhymes, cause it's gotta be a hip hop record if there's that many producers on it for real.

Nailed it. Totally agree with this.

It's an absurd statement to make because U2 themselves have never locked the song down to one meaning.

It's about the band almost breaking up during the achtung baby recording... Its about the band's personal issues, namely The Edge's marriage... Its about German reunification... Its about AIDS, and a father and son having a difficult conversation... It's about the "hippy ideal of oneness"...

All of these things have been discussed as inspiration for the song at one time or another. And that's the greatness of the song... It leaves it open to interpretation, which allows it to connect to so many more people.

The overlying theme in all of the many inspirations is unity, togetherness... And how the hell you get that someone can't figure that out based off her vocal stylings is beyond my level of comprehension.

Well, I can't say whether Adele knows what the song is about or not. Since she has access to Bono, I'm sure she probably does. So if that's what you find asinine (that she doesn't know what song's about at all), I guess I can't fault you too much for that. U2 clearly is pleased with the performance, so I'm sure Bono is fine with the choices she made. Though I guess he's just happy that it did so well.

But I'm not commenting on what Adele knows or doesn't...I just think her performance sounds like she doesn't know or more likely care. I think she was more concerned about showing off her range than trying adjust it to suit the mood of the song.

Just my opinion of course, to my ears her choices in the song are tone deaf. Clearly like most great songs the subject matter is open to interpretation, as you said, and that's fine. I know her version of the song is incredibly divisive among U2 fans, so yeah whatever.

Aww, c'mon, leave U2K alone. She isn't here to "defend" herself.

MJB's One was alright. Remember, she is the Queen of Hip Hop Soul and had to represent. East Coast, baby! :wink:

yeah!!! we'll fuck you UP!!!

HardtofindFirstGordonsetter.gif

Confirmed rumor: Bono's outfit during the tour will consist entirely of the boxing robes he wore during the opening of PopMart.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've come to the conclusion that some people just can't stomach an R&B singer doing an interpretation of a rock song, to put it mildly.

When I first heard the U2/Blige version, I was surprised at how well she managed to find new ways of phrasing the lyrics, vocally, and still stay true to the original song. And if you see her perform it live, you know full well she 'gets' it.

I was a little surprised to see the vehement dislike for this rendition of the song around here. It felt more like the listener didn't 'get it' more than Mary, who is an excellent vocalist and a well respected singer who's been through enough in her personal life to relate to the song. The tendency seems to be to lump her into the 'pop' category, a place she's never been, and see it as a sell out, or this 'overly dramatic' crap. That, or people just don't like coffee in their milk.

It always baffled me.

Sent from my fingertips.

I've come to the conclusion that some people just can't stomach an R&B singer doing an interpretation of a rock song, to put it mildly.

That, or people just don't like coffee in their milk.

Clever. But this is a pretty fucked up thing to say. You're injecting something into the discussion that's unnecessarily divisive.

I don't HATE the MJB version of One, for the most part, it's pretty decent, maybe quite good, and I don't have anything against R'n'B singers, I just cannot stand those vocal acrobatics. I feel it's more about her showing off her voice than it is about a proper interpretation of the song. She kind of destroys the meaning of the song. One has always been kind of bitter and dark, the band have said so many times, and when I listen to MJB sing I don't feel like she really FEELS the song. But ok, if that's her interpretation and U2 let her do that, I'm fine with it. The song just turned into something else because of her. Personally, I don't want to hear more of that kind of singing on U2 songs.

So, a summary so far from someone who only reads 3-4 words of any post longer than 2 lines:

Mary J. Blige
Adele
Wrestling gif that crashes my app
Feeling
Punky

Clever. But this is a pretty fucked up thing to say. You're injecting something into the discussion that's unnecessarily divisive.

It's not in every case, but in a lot of the bashing of MJB for her effort in that song, I'm honestly at a loss for any other explanation. And I'm not going any further than to say that for a lot of people, Rock and R&B seem like different worlds, and shouldn't be paired.

Another thought I had was that her vocal stylings on the song were good to the point of being threatening to folks who hold the original rendition sacred. Could be it. Or people just don't like it... But that's not the same as saying it's bad, or doesn't work, and that seems to be a big point of confusion on these boards.

I mean, listen to the live versions where Bono ends with the 'i hear you coming... I hear you scratching..' Bit. He's passionate, he's grandiose, he's breaking from the dark, somber mood of the beginning of the song, and people like it. I like it. Yet, that's what MJ did, more or less, and it's sacrilege.

Sent from my fingertips.

I get that song lyrics are open to interpretation, but some interpretations are more, shall we say, legitimate than others. For example, Reagan seemed to think Born in the USA was a patriotic anthem. He was a bit off the mark there.

Back
Top Bottom