LP13 - Still Waiting - 1980 days since Bono announced Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the @U2 forums:

"Dan Wooton 'showbiz editor' of The Sun in the UK has just been on breakfast TV and mentioned that already there is talk in the industry of a 'huge battle' for the top of the album charts in November, involving Adele, 'One Direction', 'Take That' and....U2.

All aiming for big sales in the Christmas market."

Im sorry but in the uk u2 will be at the bottom of that list sales wise. If they can have a single like beautiful day it would still be very hard to out sell those acts

Im sorry but in the uk u2 will be at the bottom of that list sales wise. If they can have a single like beautiful day it would still be very hard to out sell those acts
we'll see, those other acts have been seriously over exposed and people will be getting tired

Well there's no way they'll all be released the same week, so I'm sure U2 will be number 1 for at least the one week.

I must admit ive never seen u2 mentioned in the same breath as black sabbath,van halen and motley crue

At least in terms of radio programming, classic rock is pretty much defined by time more than musical style. Usually when a band has been around for 20 years or so they become termed "Classic rock".

The classic rock station here in Boston started to include U2 as a staple when Carter Alan moved there in 1998. About a year ago they added a lot of the "grunge" era bands to their rotation, they'll run a promo saying "Boston's classic rock library now includes this..." and go into a Pearl Jam or Soundgarden song.

So while U2 is certainly not musically similar to Sabbath, Van Halen or Motley, their age as a band and popularity essentially brands them as "classic rock".

From the @U2 forums:

"Dan Wooton 'showbiz editor' of The Sun in the UK has just been on breakfast TV and mentioned that already there is talk in the industry of a 'huge battle' for the top of the album charts in November, involving Adele, 'One Direction', 'Take That' and....U2.

All aiming for big sales in the Christmas market."

I'm sure they will be in the top at one point. I'm not worried about One Direction because they are about to oversaturate the market (and regardless of the huge fanbase, they suck) Take That and Adele are some serious competition, but I think U2 won't do so bad, unless the album is nothing short of a flop.

u2 've worked for five years to get this album. The others didn't. It 'll pay out at some point. I expect U2 to bring some special for all.

U2 were mentioned in the same breath as One Direction? Bono will be a happy bunny today! #relevance

Does anyone else think that U2's timing of singles releases are pretty late compared to other artists? Obviously Beyoncé did the whole surprise thing, so that doesn't count. But most artists release their lead single or singles well ahead of the album.
Just off the top of my head - Lady Gaga released one single in early August, and then another in October before her last album which was released in November...
Beck had a really big online campaign of several songs being streamed to the public 6 months prior to his latest release.
Katy Perry also had 2 singles released between August and October for her last album that was released in mid October...
I just heard a new Guster song last week for an album that being released in early 2015! Not that Guster is in the same tier as Gaga, Beck Perry or U2, but still...

Just think it's odd if U2 waits to release a single the same MONTH as the album like they did with the past two albums. GOYB being released the same week as NLOTH I think...

Just think it's odd if U2 waits to release a single the same MONTH as the album like they did with the past two albums. GOYB being released the same week as NLOTH I think...

Boots hit radio about January 20, so nearly six weeks before the album came out. It disappeared pretty quickly too.

Yeah, Vertigo also was released early september, while the album dropped in october. Same with Beautiful Day IIRC. So it's not in the same month, more at least a month before the album is released.

GOYB was released to radio and iTunes on 1/20/09 I believe and the album came out on 3/4/09.

I don't know the exact date that Vertigo was released but it was mid September and the album was released last week or 2nd to last week of November.

Beautiful Day was released 8/31/01 to radio and the album was released on 10/30/01

Pretty consistent in that they typically release a single about 1 1/2 to 2 months prior to the album release.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

GOYB was released to radio and iTunes on 1/20/09 I believe and the album came out on 3/4/09.

I don't know the exact date that Vertigo was released but it was mid September and the album was released last week or 2nd to last week of November.

Beautiful Day was released 8/31/01 to radio and the album was released on 10/30/01

Pretty consistent in that they typically release a single about 1 1/2 to 2 months prior to the album release.

Pretty spot on. I think Vertigo was about September 24...
Anyway, I'm going with a mid-September release for this single. What I'm wondering is what style of song it will be. One would suggest it will be catchy and maybe slightly adventurous but still recognisable as U2.

Cool, thank you for the correction. I for some reason thought the last couple were way closer to the album release than usual.

Pretty spot on. I think Vertigo was about September 24...
Anyway, I'm going with a mid-September release for this single. What I'm wondering is what style of song it will be. One would suggest it will be catchy and maybe slightly adventurous but still recognisable as U2.

I think we can all agree they are in a VERY tough spot with the next step. They pulled off probably the most successful reinvention in rock since the Beatles. To think that the band that was doing Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town, was doing Numb and Lemon 5 years later, is pretty incredible. So short of doing a rap album, or classical... They really don't have a lot of musical areas that they have left untouched for a rock band.

Now I personally do not like the middle of the road, getting back to the
"real U2" that Beautiful Day was billed as. Boring song, doesn't stand up well for me years later. But, it was popular.

Vertigo was big, but to honest it really took off after the ipod commercial. So not sure how it would have flown on its own.

I would like to see them do something completely stripped down and quiet or come blazing out with something akin to The Fly or Mofo.

Unfortunately the in between is probably more likely. Something like Invisible. (Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn) :|

If they have any songs that are on par with their classics, then that should be the first single. Put your best out. That's what they didn't do with the last record.

If they have any songs that are on par with their classics, then that should be the first single. Put your best out. That's what they didn't do with the last record.

I hope that for once Bono was telling the truth that Invisible was only put out there because it was the first song they finished.

God, the more I look back on that whole Superbowl/tonight show time, the more of a strange misfire that I see it as.

That period in no way helped them in what will already be a tough reception for the actual single and album...

I hope that for once Bono was telling the truth that Invisible was only put out there because it was the first song they finished.

God, the more I look back on that whole Superbowl/tonight show time, the more of a strange misfire that I see it as.

That period in no way helped them in what will already be a tough reception for the actual single and album...

If the music is really good people will be interested but no matter what there are some that are sharpening their knives.

Current rumors have the iPhone 6 coming out on October 14th. I wonder if U2 would consider partnering with Apple again and have their new album preloaded on all iPhone 6 preorders or something cool like that.

I thought I'd "contribute" with also something else than with some random drunken posts now and then. Like I wrote I've been a fan since Unforgettable Fire. When Joshua Tree came out, it blew my mind. I listened it over and over and could not understand how someone could write a song like With or without you. I watched Rattle and hum and really liked it.

But I was not prepared to what would follow. I still remember the first time I heard Achtung Baby. I was 19 and in army (mandatory here in Finland). One guy had bought the cd and had a portable cd player. When Zoo Station kicked in I almost swallowed by tongue... It was so different from what I had expected. And of course the "theme" continued. Later when Bono described Achtung Baby as "four young men chopping down the Joshua tree" I realised that was spot on. That was what I heard back then when listening to AB for the first time. I saw them two times in Sweden, Zoo TV and Zooropa tours.

I liked Pop and saw Popmart here in Finland. That was U2's 2nd visit to our country. They had only played one festival in 1982 here. Needles to say crowd of 45000 was ecstatic. I remember when Bono said: "It's been 15 years sincewe were here the last time.. Why the f**k?"

After that to my opinion U2 has had "a quiet period". All that you can't leave behind has some great moments and I too remember listening the 30 sec snippets and thinking that this could be their best record ever. Somehow it didn't quite deliver.

From there it only went worse in my opinion.

I did see Elevation tour in Sweden again and Vertigo tour in Denmark, but I somehow had the feeling that maybe they were starting to become like Rolling Stones. I would still defend them to my friends saying the exact opposite: C'mon, U2 still makes good and relevant music, Stones made their last good song in sixties. You know, the usual stuff I'm pretty sure everyone of you have said a some point.

No line had again some very good moments, but unfortunately when I read the credentials, the weakest songs seemed to be the ones where Lanois and Eno had not contributed. Also the fact that they had "co-writers" was somewhat worrying to me.

360 tour was incredible. I saw them in Amsterdam, two nights in Helsinki and one night in Chigago. But the feeling about them coming the Stones was even stronger than before.

From what I've read from band's interviews they "fear" the same too. I'm very happy they've realised this themselves. And it gives me hope that they are now putting everything that is possible into this next album. Or albums, because I think it is very much possible that they're putting out a double album. Or if not double, then similar to AB / POP.
I get a strong vibe that this is their "Swan Song". If that is the case, I don't care how much longer we have to wait. I myself don't want to say: "yeah, they did some good stuff in eighties and nineties, but then they morphed into this giant jukebox. Great shows though.."

I want to be able to say that U2 did the greatest "comeback" ever. And I want that when i say that, my friends nod and agree.

Bono-Facelift--82117.jpg

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Also the fact that they had "co-writers" was somewhat worrying to me.

It was proper for them to finally credit them. They always wrote with Eno and Lanois to one extent or another. From TUF all the way to ATYCLB. They just never gave them writing credits before NLOTH.

Besides that, let's get real. They've got just two guys writing songs and one of them can barely play a guitar/piano. They NEED the help. All this MOR-type material of the last 15 years is the result of that, IMO, more than anything else. Edge is having to come up with virtually all of the music ideas (apart from Bono) when Eno/Lanois aren't around to contribute ideas. And they're having to please Adam and especially Larry's more conventional ears. And the more ideas, the better. It's not like they're outsourcing the actual songwriting to pop hacks like Desmond Child, they're just inviting people into the creative process to help inspire them to write their own stuff.

The best thing Eno often did for them was give them an atmospheric to play around in. That's when they were at their best. A loop, a motif, a synth. Something. I'm hoping Brian Burton did something similar.

I too would love to see a legit reinvention. But it's not going to happen. If you're expecting a far cry from Invisible or Ordinary Love on this next album you might as well prepare yourself to be disappointed. I'm not. And so my hopes are that there are 4 or 5 songs I really enjoy, about like NLOTH. I already expect a fair amount of eyerolling moments.

It was proper for them to finally credit them. They always wrote with Eno and Lanois to one extent or another. From TUF all the way to ATYCLB. They just never gave them writing credits before NLOTH.

Besides that, let's get real. They've got just two guys writing songs and one of them can barely play a guitar/piano. They NEED the help. All this MOR-type material of the last 15 years is the result of that, IMO, more than anything else. Edge is having to come up with virtually all of the music ideas (apart from Bono) when Eno/Lanois aren't around to contribute ideas. And they're having to please Adam and especially Larry's more conventional ears. And the more ideas, the better. It's not like they're outsourcing the actual songwriting to pop hacks like Desmond Child, they're just inviting people into the creative process to help inspire them to write their own stuff.

The best thing Eno often did for them was give them an atmospheric to play around in. That's when they were at their best. A loop, a motif, a synth. Something. I'm hoping Brian Burton did something similar.

I too would love to see a legit reinvention. But it's not going to happen. If you're expecting a far cry from Invisible or Ordinary Love on this next album you might as well prepare yourself to be disappointed. I'm not. And so my hopes are that there are 4 or 5 songs I really enjoy, about like NLOTH. I already expect a fair amount of eyerolling moments.

Very well said. I think the one thing I can consistently say about every album after POP was that, if you took out 4 songs, I would REALLY like the album.

I really don't like Invisible or Ordinary Love. But I hold out hope that there will be about six songs that I do really like. And I am hoping that there is at least some pushing of boundaries, whether its successful or not.

Yep. You can't overstate the impact Brian and Danny have had on this band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom