LP13: Oh well Oh Well Oh Well Oh Well....Tell Me More!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta feel bad for U2 if they release the album this fall. There are the big pop records that people seem to think are a threat to U2 receiving attention, then there is Aphex Twin's first album since 2001 (and first official material since 2006) and the music people have been waiting almost 50 years for: the complete Basement Tapes, remastered. Those two albums are going to dominate in the press, leaving little room for U2. Which may be for the best if Ordinary Love and Invisible are indicative of the level of quality they're going to presenting the world with.

Weren't there plans to release something at the end of 2013, or the plan was always 2014? I didn't hover around here that much at the time.

We were all assuming but there were no outward signs. That Super Bowl ad had been in the works for awhile, you don't put that together the month before.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Gotta feel bad for U2 if they release the album this fall. There are the big pop records that people seem to think are a threat to U2 receiving attention, then there is Aphex Twin's first album since 2001 (and first official material since 2006) and the music people have been waiting almost 50 years for: the complete Basement Tapes, remastered. Those two albums are going to dominate in the press, leaving little room for U2. Which may be for the best if Ordinary Love and Invisible are indicative of the level of quality they're going to presenting the world with.

With all due respect to Aphex Twin (I'm very excited about this as well), I don't really see them putting a dent in the hype around U2's first album in 5.5 years. It's mostly a completely different audience and U2 is a much bigger name.

Yeah, I think that's still unconfirmed but we were all definitely under the impression that the band was ready to sign, seal and deliver in the early summer of 2013. And then well....the Super Bowl ad.....don't get me started on that disaster.

At least two decent songs came out of that terrible "we still exist" campaign.

With all due respect to Aphex Twin (I'm very excited about this as well), I don't really see them putting a dent in the hype around U2's first album in 5.5 years. It's mostly a completely different audience and U2 is a much bigger name.

The earlier U2 release the album, the better they'll do.

At least two decent songs came out of that terrible "we still exist" campaign.

Very true. I listened to Ordinary Love yesterday and thought it was enjoyable. Pretty impressive for a one off cash Oscar grab a year later.

Hype is generated by the press and I think critics are more excited by new Aphex Twin because they've had time to forget how much they disliked Drukqs. U2, on the other hand, have are still fairly close to the release of a maligned record, and U2's stock is pretty (and unfairly) low right now. I hope you're right though.

Remasters and Apex Twin? These are small blips.

Remasters and Apex Twin? These are small blips.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of stuff is coming out at the end of this year. If U2 ends up being more than a "blip" themselves, I'd be surprised.

guys - I may wear rose coloured glasses - but it's a sure thing that the U2 record is going to get huge press. Bank on it.

Have you lost all hope on U2's upcoming album ?

I mean, do you really think they will go almost unnoticed ?

It's not that, but, I just don't see a HUGE deal getting made this time around. There will be press, but if a "blip" to BVS is what will surround Aphex Twin's album, then I suspect about the same level of coverage for U2.

It's not that, but, I just don't see a HUGE deal getting made this time around. There will be press, but if a "blip" to BVS is what will surround Aphex Twin's album, then I suspect about the same level of coverage for U2.

Ouch...(insert BVS face here : :huh:) :wink:

It saddens me to think that...

Most likely, they will become a "blip" on Adele's radar when she unleashes her mammoth album (no pun intended)

We were all assuming but there were no outward signs. That Super Bowl ad had been in the works for awhile, you don't put that together the month before.

No outward signs other than a direct quote from Happy Sullen Jr. to Dave Fanning that the record would be released by Sept 2013.

The more important factor will be whether it's any good or not.

If the new U2 album delivers, the people will come.

Ouch...(insert BVS face here : :huh:) :wink:

It saddens me to think that...

Most likely, they will become a "blip" on Adele's radar when she unleashes her mammoth album (no pun intended)

You're missing my point: Aphex Twin's album is not going to go mostly unnoticed.

No outward signs other than a direct quote from Happy Sullen Jr. to Dave Fanning that the record would be released by Sept 2013.

I vaguely remember that, but they still were staying the course, they didn't change direction or bring in lillywhite, which is what I was referring to.

People are crazy. Everyone will have trouble selling 3 million albums. It's all about touring and U2 dominate that.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

guys - I may wear rose coloured glasses - but it's a sure thing that the U2 record is going to get huge press. Bank on it.

We'll see - I hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. I can only imagine how it's going to be when they announce it or release it out of the blue.

He's sort of a Mozart of dance music/ambient music. Many tracks are difficult but just as many are sublime.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCud8H7z7vU

I agree and I think there will be a lot of attention on Aphex Twin's new outing...

but what about U2 compared to AT ?

I don't think they're comparable. Mainstream media will probably report heavily on one, the Internet publications on the other. Different audiences, but just about the same amount of reach, when it comes right down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom