LP13: (Non) Event Horizon: Choose Your Own Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a reason U2 are talking about wanting a hit single. They want a single people enjoy, which people will then enjoy hearing them play which in turn they will enjoy playing.

You need creative ways to get album out there, because they don't sell like they did even 10 years ago. We might not like it, they might not either, but you have to. When people buy an iPhone 6, that will not count towards the charts (same for Invisible...it "sold" 3 million free copies, none of which counted to the charts or towards certification), so its really not about that. Of course not all U2 fans will buy the iPhone so the album is still needed, hopefully they have some creative ideas for the physical album as well, maybe exclusive song or something, a nice vinyl version.

Then there's the case that people who aren't huge fans will buy the iPhone, and maybe they'll enjoy the single and request it, become a fan, etc.
We'll see. :up:

Sorry, but the tech-geek demographic does not equal what is "hip" for young people. I live in what is considered the bigger hipster neighborhood in Los Angeles, and most of my friends are btw the ages of 23-30. Almost ALL of them have iPhones, never talk about switching, and we often poke fun at people who who don't have one.

And even outside of this subculture, Apple is still a brand that carries a level of status you're severely downgrading. Older people have iPhones because they're considered easier to use and they're well-marketed. This doesn't affect its cache outside tech people.

it might also be because you're in LA, which is a fairly company town -- Apple is the industry standard for tv/movies, which is what i do, and why i'm presently on a MacBookPro and have an iPhone and no plans to ever switch. (that said, we've switched from FCP to Avid).

but the entertainment industry isn't everything, and my friends who do high-level IT security in the government sector, for example (DC is also a company town), or people will lower incomes who can't afford a $300 phone plus data plan don't have iPhones, and there's a wealth of alternatives out there for them. it's not the aspirational object it was a few years ago.

my post is less to downgrade Apple and more to put it in it's proper context in 2014. the iPhone 6 will not be the iPhone 4.

Please dont shoot me for asking. But is U2start reliable at all?
I signed up on there a long time ago and never got on. Then today I got an email about the new album coming very soon. Don't know if its like interference or atu2, or if its actually connected to U2.

Yeah the beats headphones seals it. Anyone could have been taken a photo while looking at a phone.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Please dont shoot me for asking. But is U2start reliable at all?
I signed up on there a long time ago and never got on. Then today I got an email about the new album coming very soon. Don't know if its like interference or atu2, or if its actually connected to U2.

Dunno, all these sites are going off the same speculation we are really.

All of this is very interesting, indeed. Things seem to be moving now.

With all this download and App talk, I still hope there will be a physical release, too, with some great artwork.

I'd guess it's more likely that the iPhone would come pre-loaded with the video for the first single than the entire record...but that's just a guess, who knows. I agree with those who think this move, if it happens, smacks of desperation on the part of both Apple and U2. That doesn't mean it won't "work" to some degree and get them attention, but I still think it would be a little pathetic, and lay bare the fact that both these brands are starting to show their age.

And if the new record is an "iPhone" exclusive, even for an hour, I'll be annoyed and won't hesitate to get it from other sources.

All of this is very interesting, indeed. Things seem to be moving now.

With all this download and App talk, I still hope there will be a physical release, too, with some great artwork.

Speaking of Physical formats...can someone tell me why ATYCLB is the most expensive U2 LP out there ?! not under 200$ US anywhere (Ebay, you name it...) :doh: :angry:

I mean come on !

Well even if its all rumor it kind of makes sense. The Dublin bridge stuff was possibly a commercial or something for the iPhone 6, with some new music feature possibly. The Nice footage was the actual U2 video. Or maybe they'll be combined. who knows.

Very interesting. I mean, it could be him just listening to music with Beats headphones and checking his phone. [/skeptic]

tumblr_mgzx0ykc8a1s3hileo1_400.gif

I'd guess it's more likely that the iPhone would come pre-loaded with the video for the first single than the entire record...but that's just a guess, who knows. I agree with those who think this move, if it happens, smacks of desperation on the part of both Apple and U2. That doesn't mean it won't "work" to some degree and get them attention, but I still think it would be a little pathetic, and lay bare the fact that both these brands are starting to show their age.

And if the new record is an "iPhone" exclusive, even for an hour, I'll be annoyed and won't hesitate to get it from other sources.

I can see this as a possibility. :up: Seems more plausible then an entire album. Or may the video... then a announcement about the app that may include the album..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom