LP13/Invisible. The Hope! The Trauma. Who's lying next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.If Invisible isn't well received by the average joe music fans,the band will not be able to get their attention back for the suppose "real" lead single.

"Forget Ordinary love,forget Invisible,but this one..THIS ONE, you gonna like it,though".

Invisible better deliver, because most people won't see it as a warm up song.

That seems rather silly given that OL has done a lot better than most expected; won a golden globe, got an Oscar nom, and is still on Alt Nation's top 15 along with others...

I think it was Headache the one that posted a few threads back a summary of how Madonna released her last album and we said that it looked as if the same Oseary's marketing strategy was being used for U2 now...with that in mind, this "2 songs before actual first single" slow burn-buildup may not be cause for our desperation, but a thought through strategy by Oseary that in the end may prove possitive for U2...what is clear is that the new management has to be playing a part in the decision of how they release their new material.

Still a shitty strategy.

:lol: Agreed. I want concrete news, dangit! The anticipation is murder. Especially around here. :doh:

for what its worth, reeve carney (spiderman) has been in dublin this week and tweeted this yesterday...
@reevecarney: Just experienced the modern day equivalent of hanging with the Beatles all night, watching them work! Incredible. Story for the grandkids

Why oh why do I want this to sound like he's seeing rehearsals? :drool:

First record could mean first phase of a recording process, a completed session...what do I know...whatever.

Invisible...let's talk. I'm so drooling for tomorrow. I'm sure Clayton's missus will agree here. CK, will you resist if a radio premiere leak gets out before the actual thing? Tell me the measures you're taking for tomorrow. It's a serious thing.

I also want to testify the first bitching...it will be a joyful noise :)

:wave: If Adam were to put that single into my hand today, I'd be done. Toast. I'd never be able to resist. That said, I am seriously considering hiding from the internets tomorrow until maybe 615pm or so. Doubt I'll have that sort of willpower. We (as in Mr CK and the kidlets and I) plan on actually WATCHING the game, and if the song comes out prior to the commercial, it'll depend on when/where we are game-wise. I'd love nothing more than to do this the "band" way, where as we see the 60 sec ad spot, then download the song and listen to it in full. I'm AMAZED we don't have a leak yet. Kudos to Mr. Oseary and the band for keeping a tight lid on it. *cue leak puns*

lots of "girl/baby" lyrics so they can get the despondent Beiber fans devastated over his coming deportation. they are ripe for the plucking.
Thus we need to once again, share this. :yes:
b17a6a4302e631dab42c935b71cbc695.jpg

No need for the attitude; and it was the second time I posted it because it got lost in the end of the last thread.

Rolling Stone did not "ask him about OL"; they were asking about the recording process with DM and if he heard any of it.

What he answered leaves us with a slim hope that maybe there will be more than one record, and that at least one IS already done with DM.....or if you look at it another way, he's talking about OL.

I'd say it's 50/50 either way, and no I wouldn't bet on my theory being correct. But I wouldn't bet on a double album or two albums this year either.

The record with DM = the album. Why would Mercer switch to Ordinary Love with that last "first record" comment ?

While no one officially said DM is working on more than one album with U2, this is certainly intriguing (two albums ? two EPs ? DM working on this album and any leftovers such as SOA ?). It lines up with Larry's comments on releasing two albums.

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.If Invisible isn't well received by the average joe music fans,the band will not be able to get their attention back for the suppose "real" lead single.

"Forget Ordinary love,forget Invisible,but this one..THIS ONE, you gonna like it,though".

Invisible better deliver, because most people won't see it as a warm up song.

Invisible's potential bad impression on the general public, though, can be remedied by a superb lead single to come.

Why the assumption Invisible will tank ?

The really amusing thing is once everyone hears 'Invisible', watch all the pessimists gush over each other how 'Invisible' is U2's next 'Unforgettable Fire' meets 'Where The Streets Have No Name' meets 'Beautiful Day' meets the greatest song this side of the Pearly Gates. All these fears will immediately be dissolved tomorrow evening. Can't wait. :drool:

I realize that this isn't the 1st single, but the excitement is still there.
Today, I'm vividly recalling my 1st listens of BD, Vertigo, and Boots. It's freezing outside, but my blood is on fire with all this anticipation. Edge would be impressed.
I don't know why, but the crowd chanting teaser has me thinking of Soon.

Invisible's potential bad impression on the general public, though, can be remedied by a superb lead single to come.

Why the assumption Invisible will tank ?

For me, I'm nervous about Invisible for the following reasons (maybe some other fans share my feelings)

1. It appears to be (ANOTHER!) song about the plight of the African people. An important issue for sure but some of U2s least interesting (and successful) music is about Africa.
2. Bono saying it's not the first single. My thought is, then why release it on the biggest stage in the world (Super Bowl)? This makes little sense. They want people talking about U2 at work on Monday - not simply reminding people they exist.
3. The title of the song gives me pause. Reminds me of Magnificent - which was a stinker and did nothing commercially.

I, unfortunately, predict a dud with this song and probably the album. I hope I'm wrong.

The song is clearly a personal one for Bono whatever the usage of it in the TV spot, did you see the lyrics mentioned in the USA Today article? Or the description in the LA Times in December that talked about it as being about leaving one's hometown?

Besides, despite the personal involvement in causes, how many of their lyrics are actually about "saving Africa", Crumbs From Your Table basically and even that has a lot of spiritual meaning beyond that.

:wave: If Adam were to put that single into my hand today, I'd be done. Toast. I'd never be able to resist. That said, I am seriously considering hiding from the internets tomorrow until maybe 615pm or so. Doubt I'll have that sort of willpower. We (as in Mr CK and the kidlets and I) plan on actually WATCHING the game, and if the song comes out prior to the commercial, it'll depend on when/where we are game-wise. I'd love nothing more than to do this the "band" way, where as we see the 60 sec ad spot, then download the song and listen to it in full. I'm AMAZED we don't have a leak yet. Kudos to Mr. Oseary and the band for keeping a tight lid on it. *cue leak puns*

Sounds cool :up:
I don't think I will resist either, also I'm led to check that radio linked by Digitize starting from noon EST. But I'm not desperate to hear it, granted...

:drool:

For me, I'm nervous about Invisible for the following reasons (maybe some other fans share my feelings)

1. It appears to be (ANOTHER!) song about the plight of the African people. An important issue for sure but some of U2s least interesting (and successful) music is about Africa.
2. Bono saying it's not the first single. My thought is, then why release it on the biggest stage in the world (Super Bowl)? This makes little sense. They want people talking about U2 at work on Monday - not simply reminding people they exist.
3. The title of the song gives me pause. Reminds me of Magnificent - which was a stinker and did nothing commercially.

I, unfortunately, predict a dud with this song and probably the album. I hope I'm wrong.

1. What ? Did you see the snippet of the lyrics ? Not at all about Africa.
2. To separate a charity single from the official lead single. A Super Bowl ad will most definitely get people talking about U2.
3. A rose by any other name....a title doesn't mean anything about the quality of the song.

Why would they pick a dud song for a massive ad ?

The song is clearly a personal one for Bono whatever the usage of it in the TV spot, did you see the lyrics mentioned in the USA Today article? Or the description in the LA Times in December that talked about it as being about leaving one's hometown?

He adds:

"That's a heavy thing, I realize, as a father myself — to not take your family name, you know? I'm known as Bono. And I realize now that all the angst and rage I had at that time," during his youth, "must have really hurt (my father). I thought my family was the problem, but I was the problem. A typical thing."

Sounds cool :up:

I don't think I will resist either, also I'm led to check that radio linked by Digitize starting from noon EST. But I'm not desperate to hear it, granted...

:drool:

It might be helpful if some of us monitor U2-friendly stations across the US after noon tomorrow, and record Invisible if it comes on. I assume markets like Boston, New York, Chicago, Toronto, and LA would be places with radio stations potentially worth monitoring. Also, perhaps The Spectrum and AltNation on SiriusXM?

I think it was Headache the one that posted a few threads back a summary of how Madonna released her last album and we said that it looked as if the same Oseary's marketing strategy was being used for U2 now...with that in mind, this "2 songs before actual first single" slow burn-buildup may not be cause for our desperation, but a thought through strategy by Oseary that in the end may prove possitive for U2...what is clear is that the new management has to be playing a part in the decision of how they release their new material.

That was me. You can find it by searching my posts. I don't think I've posted much since then.

In other news, I'm disappointed the new thread title didn't include the phrase "Development Hell".

I also would have accepted "Irish Democracy", even if it is a little obvious and any use of the term Overcook...as in How To Overcook something-something.

Just finally watched that teaser video. "There is no them, only us"?

Nah, Pink Floyd had it right the first time.

Speaking of, the entirety of Dark Side took about 6 or 7 months to record.

The Joshua Tree - about 9 months.

Pretty much every U2 album between Rattle and Bomb - about 18 months in the studio (NLOTH closer to two years). This one has doubled that 18 month rough average already...and more. If this thing isn't the most overcooked album U2 ever produced it will be a miracle.

Pretty much every U2 album between Rattle and Bomb - about 18 months in the studio (NLOTH closer to two years). This one has doubled that 18 month rough average already...and more. If this thing isn't the most overcooked album U2 ever produced it will be a miracle.

And we all know how it worked out for the second most overcooked album.

It might be helpful if some of us monitor U2-friendly stations across the US after noon tomorrow, and record Invisible if it comes on. I assume markets like Boston, New York, Chicago, Toronto, and LA would be places with radio stations potentially worth monitoring. Also, perhaps The Spectrum and AltNation on SiriusXM?

Good idea. We should follow a radio per person though. :D If you suggest a name of a station that fits that description (I'm in Europe so I basically don't know about which one is the best to follow), I will tune in. Noon EST will be 6 pm where I am, so no problem on that.

Only problem is that U2 aren't 20-somethings anymore. They have wives, kids, and a lot more in terms of commitments. That said, they need to just put out the damn album and quit second-guessing themselves.

Back
Top Bottom