LP13/Invisible. The Hope! The Trauma. Who's lying next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how our choices from yesterday's quotes are pretty much 'no album anytime relatively soon (i.e. before...fall?)' or 'Hey, Danger Mouse did the whole first album's worth of what's coming'.

I mean, I guess they can both be true. *sigh*

The whole "There's no them, only us" has been sung before by Bono... It's been done in live performances, but I can't think of when and where.. was it during the end of One on Vertigo tour somehwere? :scratch: Does anyone else recall this?

THANK YOU! :bow: I thought I was going mad cause it sounded so familiar but I couldn't find the gig. :lol:

:hmm: Interesting though, this was the 46664 concert, which is in honour of... Mandela. For whom they wrote Ordinary Love.... would they have perhaps looked back on these performances and found new inspiration in these lyrics?

So where is this 18 second clip? Or is it that crowd chanting one?

Rolling Stone just published a little Q&A with James Mercer, Danger Mouse's partner in Broken Bells, where this exchange took place:

RS: Would he take breaks to work on the U2 record? Was he thinking of that at the same time as working on that record?
JM: Yeah, he definitely was going back and forth. It was kind of fun to be able to hear the works in progress of U2 because I was such a huge fan of theirs in high school.

RS: How's it sounding?
JM: It sounds awesome. It sounds really cool. It was kind of cool to hear that they record in a very similar way to the way that I work, where you improvise and try your best to come up with melodies and stuff but you don't have any lyrics.

RS: I can't wait to hear what he does with them.
JM: Me too. I'm so hoping it's going to do well for both parties. I think it would be great to be a hit.

RS: Is he going to do the whole record with them?
JM: Apparently they've done just tons of material. Apparently that whole first record is just Brian's work.

:hmm:

This is what I posted in the other thread:

"Is he going to do the whole record with them?"
"Apparently they've done just tons of material. Apparently that whole first record is just Brian's work."

The more I read this the more I'm perplexed.
He says "That whole first record..."
As if he's referring to something that RS would know about.
That's why I'm going back to my theory that he's talking about OL, not an album, because why wouldn't RS then question him further about "So you've heard a finished album then?" or something.
Or said "Oh, they have a record done and now working on more material?"
It just doesn't add up otherwise.
Yes, I know he said they have "tons of material"....but that could mean anything....snippets of songs, demos, ideas, jams......that doesn't mean "tons of finished songs and they're going to put out two albums"....He also says APPARENTLY.

No...the more I think about it and read into it I am sure he's referring to OL the single as "That whole first record" as opposed to some finished album he heard in it's entirety.
"..."Is he going to do the whole record with them?"
"Apparently they've done just tons of material. Apparently that whole first record is just Brian's work."

".....is just Brian's work"....DM is listed as co-writer and played the keys, which are a huge part of the song. Maybe he means OL musically was mostly done by him.

Also, for those who missed it, music industry people often refer to singles as "records".

I hope I'm wrong and there are two albums.
.....and one of them is coming out soon.
I don't think I'm wrong.

I think it was Headache the one that posted a few threads back a summary of how Madonna released her last album and we said that it looked as if the same Oseary's marketing strategy was being used for U2 now...with that in mind, this "2 songs before actual first single" slow burn-buildup may not be cause for our desperation, but a thought through strategy by Oseary that in the end may prove possitive for U2...what is clear is that the new management has to be playing a part in the decision of how they release their new material.

It wasn't.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

That's why I'm going back to my theory that he's talking about OL, not an album, because why wouldn't RS then question him further about "So you've heard a finished album then?" or something.
Yes, I know he said they have "tons of material"....but that could mean anything....snippets of songs, demos, ideas, jams......that doesn't mean "tons of finished songs and they're going to put out two albums"....He also says APPARENTLY.

No...the more I think about it and read into it I am sure he's referring to OL the single as "That whole first record" as opposed to some finished album he heard in it's entirety.

Also, for those who missed it, music industry people often refer to singles as "records".

I don't think I'm wrong.

That he would be referring to Ordinary Love make zero sense in relation to the question asked.

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

That he would be referring to Ordinary Love make zero sense in relation to the question asked.

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

I just edited my post to try to explain myself better.
Don't know if it worked.

Either way, what he said means they have more than one album, or not. His response was so vague.

Why couldn't RS simply ask a fucking follow up question???? Damn it.

Why couldn't RS simply ask a fucking follow up question???? Damn it.

Maybe they are part of the U2 Misinformation Campaign to Confuse Interference, along with Alan Cross and Dave Fanning.

If there is no album come April, the band should be referred to as U-2 until we see an album, at which point the hyphen can be ceremoniously removed.

There may have been more that wasn't published. Possibly he (or a handler, or someone else's handlers) realized he slipped and had any other information struck from the record. These guys all have to be in agreement about what gets said, and if an interviewee goes off the rails and reveals more than he should, no journalist or editor is going to be the one who gets the blowback from U2. Better for everyone involved to cover their asses and stick to the script.

I think it was Headache the one that posted a few threads back a summary of how Madonna released her last album and we said that it looked as if the same Oseary's marketing strategy was being used for U2 now...with that in mind, this "2 songs before actual first single" slow burn-buildup may not be cause for our desperation, but a thought through strategy by Oseary that in the end may prove possitive for U2...what is clear is that the new management has to be playing a part in the decision of how they release their new material.

Maybe Oseary's strategy has already gone to shit because U2 are incapable of finishing an album and he hates them and regrets taking this godforsaken job.

I would think that given the way U2 work when they're in the studio, especially initially (loose improvisation, see where it goes), and that they record all of it, mixed with the relatively recent habit (last 10 years really) of distinctly different sessions often separated by large amounts of time and also recently, very different producers, means they really would have an awful lot of material there - from loads of loose sparks and ideas through to fairly well 'complete' songs - and that there's very little consistency between them, in sound or mood or whatever.

My guess is their simple internal way of compartmentalising these is to refer to them as 'albums', and this simply escapes from time to time into their public comments ("Songs of Ascent" "We have a rock album, a dance album..." and this comment from Mercer) but it in no way, shape or form actually means that they have more than one album as we really mean it, or that they're working to such a goal. What they mean is that they have a truckload of 'stuff' in some form, and they sort it into loose piles.

Maybe Oseary's strategy has already gone to shit because U2 are incapable of finishing an album and he hates them and regrets taking this godforsaken job.

I would think that if he's managed to pull off a long, successful, seemingly 'happy' working relationship with Madonna for two decades, a few months on Team U2 probably won't kill him.

There may have been more that wasn't published. Possibly he (or a handler, or someone else's handlers) realized he slipped and had any other information struck from the record. These guys all have to be in agreement about what gets said, and if an interviewee goes off the rails and reveals more than he should, no journalist or editor is going to be the one who gets the blowback from U2. Better for everyone involved to cover their asses and stick to the script.

A reporter isn't going to give a fuck. They want to break the story.

Zero. Zilch. Nada.

And the album is coming out before June right? And this is definitely the first single from the album right? :sexywink:

I don't think after this week's mess that could be a false assumption. That he would be referring to multiple albums of U2 material makes just as little sense. We don't know the context.

I am really surprised Invisible hasn't leaked yet. We already have someone confirming radio stations will have the song by noon tomorrow and it is definitely floating around the iTunes servers.

My guess is their simple internal way of compartmentalising these is to refer to them as 'albums', and this simply escapes from time to time into their public comments ("Songs of Ascent" "We have a rock album, a dance album..." and this comment from Mercer) but it in no way, shape or form actually means that they have more than one album as we really mean it, or that they're working to such a goal. What they mean is that they have a truckload of 'stuff' in some form, and they sort it into loose piles.

Right. That's what I'm trying to say.

"That whole first record" IF, he meant it as more than one album proper, would mean he's heard a finished disc of 12 songs or whatever that U2 has done with Danger Mouse. And it's DONE. First implies there's even more, as in a second album proper, the way alot of people here are interpreting it.

"That whole first record" IF, he meant record as the OL single means DM had a huge hand in the writing and producing i.e. "is just Brian's work".

The key word to me is "THAT".
What is he referring to?
There is no answer.

Larry said they wanted to release quickly again after this record comes out during the Fanning interview late 2012. There's always been another record planned. Whether they succeed at this or not is a completely different question.

I'm not sure what you're saying..are you suggesting that a reporter is going on hold back something from being published because they are afraid of reprisal from U2?

Sent via owl

Larry said they wanted to release quickly again after this record comes out during the Fanning interview late 2012. There's always been another record planned. Whether they succeed at this or not is a completely different question.

Haven't we been hearing something to that effect since ATYCLB? Wasn't Bomb suppossed to come out in 2003? We heard it again after NLOTH also.
Larry, it would seem, is full of it.

"Quickly" in the U2 universe means within the next decade.

I know people are angry but they have been working on multiple albums the entire time and unless this album with Danger Mouse is great and a hit there will be nothing but reassessments. If NLOTH was a hit there would have been a sequel SOA. They have a shit load of material but they want perfection so its taken forever.

Haven't we been hearing something to that effect since ATYCLB? Wasn't Bomb suppossed to come out in 2003? We heard it again after NLOTH also.
Larry, it would seem, is full of it.

Pop was supposed to come out late 1996, HTDAAB was supposed to come out late 2003 (then early 2004), NLOTH was supposed to come out in the second half of 2008, Songs Of Ascent was supposed to come out late 2010 (then 2011, then 2012).
Now, we have an album that started as 3 different albums (that "were done") with different producers (early 2012, if I'm correct), then it became only one album with DM and I remember that it was supposed to come out in 2013 (or "ASAP" as Larry said in 2012).

I wouldn't be surprised if the album came out only in November 2014, or even in 2015.

"..."Is he going to do the whole record with them?"

".....is just Brian's work"....DM is listed as co-writer and played the keys, which are a huge part of the song. Maybe he means OL musically was mostly done by him.

I don't think I'm wrong.

Wow, this is what? The third time you've said this... We get it, YOU don't think you're wrong.

But Rolling Stone asking him about Ordinary Love, a song that's already been out for awhile makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You may not think you're wrong, but reality probably disagrees with you.

http://www.atu2.com/news/report-larry-says-u2-planning-new-album-by-september-2013.html

I'd say we will be finished by the summer - and hopefully we will have something released by September. Hopefully what we will be able to do is release September this year and shortly afterwards, release again. That's what we want to do. We are working with [producer] Brian Burton at the moment of Dangermouse, no will.i.am is not there, just Mister Mouse!

Right. That's what I'm trying to say.

"That whole first record" IF, he meant it as more than one album proper, would mean he's heard a finished disc of 12 songs or whatever that U2 has done with Danger Mouse. And it's DONE. First implies there's even more, as in a second album proper, the way alot of people here are interpreting it.

"That whole first record" IF, he meant record as the OL single means DM had a huge hand in the writing and producing i.e. "is just Brian's work".

The key word to me is "THAT".
What is he referring to?
There is no answer.

I understand what you're saying, but don't think he means Ordinary Love. The wording doesn't really make sense when talking about one individual song.

for what its worth, reeve carney (spiderman) has been in dublin this week and tweeted this yesterday...
@reevecarney: Just experienced the modern day equivalent of hanging with the Beatles all night, watching them work! Incredible. Story for the grandkids

Back
Top Bottom