LP13 Discussion - Rumor Has It: Sirens, iTunes Festival, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think anyone unwilling to spend $18 on a U2 album was going to buy the album anyways.

And thank you for the information, I thought that was true, about them counting 2x, but didn't know about the 100 min. limit. It's the reason why The Wall outsold Dark Side of the Moon.

This isn't like Solar or Manhattan. This was leaked by a verified Universal Music office, not some troll on the internet.

It doesn't mean that it's all verified and confirmed... It could be incomplete information, a place holder, partially inaccurate (as has been stated there were many reports that Vertigo was going to be the album name a week or two before we learned that it would be How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)...

but it holds a lot more weight than some random internet forum post.

Actually, true double albums are counted twice -

Multi-disc albums are counted once for each disc within the album if it is over 100 minutes in length or is from the vinyl era. For example, each copy of The Smashing Pumpkins's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (running time of 121:39), OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (running time of 134:56), and Shania Twain's Up! (145:44), all double albums, were counted twice, meaning each album was certified diamond after 5 million copies were shipped

BUT - Here is my thought. A double album is dangerous for U2. They are at a point now where they will have a couple of weeks of big sales from their die-hard fans. Maybe a few hundred thousand. But remember that double albums also cost more. So beyond the die-hard fans, you are gonna lose a lot of casual fans, and new fans that aren't gonna shell out 18 bucks for an album, but they may shell out 8 to 10 bucks much more readily. More likely they would download the one big single if they manage to get one off this album.

Ok, I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Actually, true double albums are counted twice -
Multi-disc albums are counted once for each disc within the album if it is over 100 minutes in length or is from the vinyl era. For example, each copy of The Smashing Pumpkins's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (running time of 121:39), OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (running time of 134:56), and Shania Twain's Up! (145:44), all double albums, were counted twice, meaning each album was certified diamond after 5 million copies were shipped

BUT - Here is my thought. A double album is dangerous for U2. They are at a point now where they will have a couple of weeks of big sales from their die-hard fans. Maybe a few hundred thousand. But remember that double albums also cost more. So beyond the die-hard fans, you are gonna lose a lot of casual fans, and new fans that aren't gonna shell out 18 bucks for an album, but they may shell out 8 to 10 bucks much more readily. More likely they would download the one big single if they manage to get one off this album.

The 100-minute length is weird. That means Boy and October or War and TUF could be packaged together but wouldn't count as a "double album" because they don't add up to 100 minutes.

The kicker for me is u2valencia posting hints over 2 months ago. They are two different sources, and their information matches. If I were a journalist, I'd go to print!

The kicker for me is u2valencia posting hints over 2 months ago. They are two different sources, and their information matches. If I were a journalist, I'd go to print!

I agree, that's really interesting.

Does today's tweets make that gig at the iTunes festival more believable?? I think it does!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

On the double album speculation - I still think that IF they were going to release two albums, they will be separate. It has always been possible (though very unlikely) that the delay is finishing a second album (see quotes from Larry, Bono and Broken Bells dude). They will have learnt that the SOA model didn't work, and they need it finished, and also they know that they are getting older and the window is closing.

Again, I think this is only about a 5% possibility, but it could happen. The double album scenario with sales records is very interesting, and I'm sure they know it though.

All very interesting. My excitement metre has gone to optimistic from forced pessimism

Back
Top Bottom