LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought the album was done already and that we were getting a surprise double album soon, but now they're recording more? OMG another delay!!!111!!111

Great news ! At least, we know they're still at it and this is solid confirmation that they're still recording stuff. Album completed by end of summer according to Adam. I'm starting to put money on this.

So they're back with Epsworth. Cool :up:

They're not retiring and they're on track for an album this year ?

I thought the album was done already and that we were getting a surprise double album soon, but now they're recording more? OMG another delay!!!111!!111

OR

another album...? :shifty:

EDIT: awww.. Hewson beat me to it.. :fist:

so which of the five upcoming albums are you guys most excited for? I like the one that they released on Chinese Napster immediately after Fallon, but, I think I'm more excited for the album due out July 4th.

Im down london on july 4/5th so i hope there still doing work there.

Whats the name of the recording studios again?was it church studios?

Speaking purely from what *could* be U2's perspective: if Coldplay aren't having any problems selling records - people parting with their cold hard cash to legitimately own Mylo Ghost Vida or whatever they're calling their albums - why can't U2? U2 have (rightly) considered themselves to be in a league of their own for a very long time now. So they don't consider prevailing trends in downward record sales to necessarily apply to them. So while the rest of us might consider sales of 3m worldwide for the next album to be healthy and respectable, U2 would probably think it'd be a complete fucking disaster for them.

But you see, Coldplay is struggling just like everyone else. Look at Coldplay's US album sales for each album since 2002:

2002 - AROBTTH: 4.4 million
2005 - X&Y: 3.1 million
2008 - Viva La Vida: 2.8 million
2011 - Mylo Xyloto: 1.6 million
2014 - Ghost Stories: 467,000

Notice a trend?

Ok, Ghost Stories has only been out two weeks but there is a chance that it will not reach the 1 million mark. All of the radio friendly songs have been released already and none of them were able to get any real traction at radio. There is no tour. Its likely the album will fall like a rock in a few months and not reach the million mark by the end of the year. Despite that, it will likely be the biggest selling album released in 2014. We live in a world where the biggest selling album of the year may not even sell a million copies in the USA.

Im down london on july 4/5th so i hope there still doing work there.

Whats the name of the recording studios again?was it church studios?

Well if they are at that point we can kiss a 2014 release goodbye.

The end of summer isn't technically until sept 20. So if they finish then, they won't release anything until spring. They have to make single edits, music videos, limited editions with bonus DVDs. It's not like they just finish recording and upload it to their website for immediate purchase. If we don't hear something official by August, kiss a 2014 release bye.

The end of summer isn't technically until sept 20. So if they finish then, they won't release anything until spring. They have to make single edits, music videos, limited editions with bonus DVDs. It's not like they just finish recording and upload it to their website for immediate purchase. If we don't hear something official by August, kiss a 2014 release bye.

Not necessarily. Nothing was heard or confirmed for 2004 and HTDAAB until sometime towards the end of September that year. I'd say if by the first week of October, there is no news, then we'll be waiting until some time in 2015. Unless they are really behind or displeased with their work, I'm pretty sure they will have the album in stores before Christmas 2014.

It's not about "hearing" anything by July 4th, it's about them still "recording in the studio" by July 4th, in which case due to mixing, track sequencing, artwork, and a zillion other things, if they are still recording around July 4, forget 2014.

But you see, Coldplay is struggling just like everyone else. Look at Coldplay's US album sales for each album since 2002:

2002 - AROBTTH: 4.4 million
2005 - X&Y: 3.1 million
2008 - Viva La Vida: 2.8 million
2011 - Mylo Xyloto: 1.6 million
2014 - Ghost Stories: 467,000

Notice a trend?

Ok, Ghost Stories has only been out two weeks but there is a chance that it will not reach the 1 million mark. All of the radio friendly songs have been released already and none of them were able to get any real traction at radio. There is no tour. Its likely the album will fall like a rock in a few months and not reach the million mark by the end of the year. Despite that, it will likely be the biggest selling album released in 2014. We live in a world where the biggest selling album of the year may not even sell a million copies in the USA.

Well, I think you need to factor in the amount of time those particular albums have been out (AROBTTH has been available for 12 years, MX only three). But I think my point stands - certain "uber artists" are expected to buck trends, and U2 are certainly one of those.

Meanwhile Guided By Voices will return to the studio in the fall to begin work on their 7th album since reuniting in 2012.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Meanwhile Guided By Voices will return to the studio in the fall to begin work on their 7th album since reuniting in 2012.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

They must release close to everything they end up recording.

Back
Top Bottom