LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like more freewheeling stuff. Something that sounded like it wasn't pored over incessantly until all the flaws and features were hammered out of it. Something that captured some magic and they just let it stand (like Moment of Surrender or most everything released before 1997).

I mean... Achtung Baby was pored over and hammered into place more than any other U2 album. It may not have taken as much time, as they didn't have as much going on back then outside of the band. But yea. They've always operated like this.

Yep. Even though HTDAAB is one of the weaker albums, imo, there are still a good 4-5 songs (not including Mercy) that I absolutely love.

That's pretty much what I'm looking forward to. I'm less confident in the album this late in their career, I'm more confident in them producing a song like NLOTH, MOS or Fez that will stick with me as an all time favorite.

I'm hoping that this album will be a bit more focused than Bomb. I like the fact that it seems to have a theme of what got them started in the first place, and growing up in N. Ireland in the '70s... hopefully they've tapped onto some basic ideas as opposed to trying to be hip.

And I sure as hell don't want a political song about the world in general, or the typical, insipid love song. Give me a journey, as opposed to giving me the journey you think I want.

I'm not expecting them to displace any of my three favorite albums by them, and nor should anybody else, really. Why should you? They're so far into their careers and in unprecedented territory. As others have said, their legacy is signed, sealed and delivered regardless of what this album is like.

Am I excited for it though? Yep, without a doubt. They're my favorite band, and even on my least-favorite albums by them, there's always a couple songs that stick with me.

If nothing does? Oh well, that'll stink, but I have their other albums and other music to listen to. But they're still my favorite band and probably always will be, so it's impossible for me not to be excited -- even if I don't think the overall quality will be on par with say, Streets, Until the End of the World, Gone, Bad. And should anybody expect that? Those are some good fucking songs.

I'm not expecting them to release something that will sit up with the all time classics. I mean as far as classic songs go, they have a LOT, and that's saying something.
I would really just like some songs that are surprisingly great, like Do You Feel Loved, Dirty Day, Fez, or something that bursts with feeling like Kite...
Just something not too formulaic, and that really digs deep.

I think that this album will be superior to at least NLOTH and Bomb. Trying to be cautiously hopeful.

Maybe i'm alone on this one but I am getting the feeling this will be a special album...a la JT, AB etc...special, but sounding different from either if them. It will have its own sound and vibe and better than anything from 2000 on.:up:

i hope you are right. Achtung Baby Part II would be spectacular....:hyper:

Same here. I'm doing everything I can to lower my expectations, but if I were to be 100% completely honest, I really do think we're in for a remarkable album. I hesitate even typing that knowing what we very well might get instead, but that's my honest assessment.

I always expect earth-moving greatness. But the reports about the frustration and the writer's block have me worried that they've now grown tired of the process and just want to get something out there as soon as possible.

I will say, however, that the last couple of months "feels" like they may have stumbled upon that great single that may have been eluding them earlier.

And anymore, isn't that all the music industry expects?

I mean... Achtung Baby was pored over and hammered into place more than any other U2 album. It may not have taken as much time, as they didn't have as much going on back then outside of the band. But yea. They've always operated like this.

I think the difference is how they initially go into the process of the song. If they are going in with "this needs to be a hit single" or "this needs to check these boxes in order to be 'relevant'" Then they may be doomed from the start.
I think they started with no true expectation with Achtung except breaking out of the mold, and they let what was inspiring them at the time lead them. Luckily it was cool, dark stuff like My Bloody Valentine and Stone Roses, etc...

I'm really just prepared for a record full of songs like Invisible. Not necessarily that style, but just sort of mediocre, catchy but ultimately forgettable songs. I just think they've spent too much time on this record, had too many producers, etc. for it to be anything approaching greatness, which typically requires a vision, and confidence, neither of which I think they have much of these days.

As it is, I'll be thrilled if there's a song that I can take away as an all-time U2 great for me...if there's just one song as good as MOS (which I consider to the their best since Streets) on this record, I'll be happy.

I have a bold prediction: that the album will be better than October but worse than Achtung Baby. #GFF

If nothing else, I have no doubt that the band recognizes the shortcomings of NLOTH. For example, I don't think the idea of every song having a "character" really worked. If this rumor about the Dublin-centric, "story of our journey" theme materializes, that's at least a step in the right direction.

GFF: gut feeling Friday...I think they've learned from ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH what works and what doesnt. If this is their last party, they are going out of their way for memorable hooks by hiring the best of the best producers, they don't want to go out with a whimper, and they want to leave us with a few more classics that only they can deliver.....fingers crossed.

That would be great, but if that does happen, it will not be the last party. They would take it as a challenge and see if they could do it again. So I guess that would be the best case scenario on all fronts.

I do not see it happening though. The album may a mild hit by downloading standards, some diehards may love it, with some critics thinking it is great and some saying it is mediocre. Which will probably mean it is the last major album and tour cycle for U2. We all knew it was coming, I thought 360 might be the last major tour. So anything at this point is just a bonus. Looking forward to seeing them live again next year. Enjoy it, I know I will, because it may very well be the last time you can see them play within a reasonable distance of your home.

If nothing else, I have no doubt that the band recognizes the shortcomings of NLOTH. For example, I don't think the idea of every song having a "character" really worked. If this rumor about the Dublin-centric, "story of our journey" theme materializes, that's at least a step in the right direction.

What rumour is that? I'm not even sure how some kind of central, unifying theme is possible with this record, considering how many cooks have been in the kitchen on this one. Unless they just scrapped everything they were working on before and created something entirely new over the past several months. Don't get me wrong, that's the spin they may try to put on it (returning to their roots or whatever), but it remains to be seen if that actually shows up in the music.

And I may be in the minority here, but I think having all these producers, talented as they may be, is more of a minus than a plus. You get that many people involved in a work of art and I think it tends to lose focus. Great works of art are not made by committee.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a new U2 album where I like every song. I'm not expecting that to happen though because it hasn't since 1997. But wouldn't that be nice?

I am admittedly excited about Episode VII, but I think Jurassic World might be my most anticipated movie of all time ever.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

AB was crafted with lots of dark subject matter and dark songs due to internal tensions...perhaps back in january when they realized they didn't have an album that they were happy with, tensions rose, collective doubt about their future set in and they reworked some tunes to make them a bit edgier, less formulatic, and more mysterious.

AB was crafted with lots of dark subject matter and dark songs due to internal tensions...perhaps back in january when they realized they didn't have an album that they were happy with, tensions rose, collective doubt about their future set in and they reworked some tunes to make them a bit edgier, less formulatic, and more mysterious.

Songs like "Unhappy Drummer" and "Mad Feckin' Larry" and Larry's first attempt at lead vocals on "I Hate the Other Three".

And I may be in the minority here, but I think having all these producers, talented as they may be, is more of a minus than a plus. You get that many people involved in a work of art and I think it tends to lose focus. Great works of art are not made by committee.

Yes. :up:

I don't think they'd put out the album with 9 different producers if it sounded disjointed...someone would have stopped it. These are bright musical and business minds here not kids playing in mom's basement.

What rumour is that? I'm not even sure how some kind of central, unifying theme is possible with this record, considering how many cooks have been in the kitchen on this one. Unless they just scrapped everything they were working on before and created something entirely new over the past several months. Don't get me wrong, that's the spin they may try to put on it (returning to their roots or whatever), but it remains to be seen if that actually shows up in the music.

I agree. I don't know if there really was ever a definitive statement that this album would have a theme of them starting out as kids in Dublin and their journey. But it seems to have taken root here on this board.
I know that Invisible has that backstory.
But I have to say, that would wear thin very fast.
And my guess is that it would come across more as a bunch of feelgood type songs. Not really my thing.

By and large agree strongly with Nick.

I do cling to hope, though, for these reasons:

1. I thought EBW was very promising (dark and heartfelt), and also like Soon. I take this to mean the scraps of SoA probably had a certain real 'meditativeness' that has hopefully not been wholly lost. Also, those who know Dangermouse will know that the man is dark by nature, whatever his poppy accomplishments. He may be even more likely than Eno & co to have encouraged them to reach pretty deep/take on some tough AB feelings. I am willing to guarantee DM is a LIB kind of guy.

2. Early reports we heard were of 'huge' and 'soulful' stuff, and Lanois seemed earnestly impressed. Doesn't sound like all upbeat 'please let this be a hit' whiff tracks to me... Sounds more like Soon and EBW with big production.

I guess that doesn't mean much more than 'I cling to one unreleased track I like'... But I also cling to Dangermouse. I like OL quite a bit though the lyrics are generic/soundtracky and I like the sound of Invisible, just not a big fan of what Bono did to it. What I've seen so far has given me reason to continue trusting DM. Of course, whether the band does/did is a whole nother question.

I agree. I don't know if there really was ever a definitive statement that this album would have a theme of them starting out as kids in Dublin and their journey. But it seems to have taken root here on this board.
I know that Invisible has that backstory.
But I have to say, that would wear thin very fast.

Well wasn't that the HTDAAB thing anyway? Returning to their "punk roots"? Didn't they say Bomb was their first record and all that? I'm not sure why they'd go back there again, but I guess anything's possible. This album being influenced by the Ramones and Kraftwerk seems so six months ago.

Well wasn't that the HTDAAB thing anyway? Returning to their "punk roots"? Didn't they say Bomb was their first record and all that?

Ugh. Yeah, I'm getting quite tired of them "returning" to their roots. Time to sprout some branches again.

Just a thought, and probably a pretty unlikely one...

In 2002, Shania Twain released her album "Up," which included two discs. Each disc contained the same tracklist, but in two different styles- one disc produced with a more "country" sound and the other with a more "pop/rock" sound. Maybe other artists have done this as well, but she comes to mind first.

Might be interesting if U2 tried to pull this off. Reward the fans for the wait by giving them a double-album (in a way), but with the same 11 songs- one album with a Danger Mouse sound and the other with Epworth/Tedder. :shrug:

In 2002, Shania Twain released her album "Up," which included two discs. Each disc contained the same tracklist, but in two different styles- one disc produced with a more "country" sound and the other with a more "pop/rock" sound. Maybe other artists have done this as well, but she comes to mind first.

Might be interesting if U2 tried to pull this off. Reward the fans for the wait by giving them a double-album (in a way), but with the same 11 songs- one album with a Danger Mouse sound and the other with Epworth/Tedder. :shrug:

Not happening, but an interesting scenario.

My guess, and it's ONLY a guess, is they may have stripped back some of the more electronic/ethereal sounds and went more 'organic' guitar/bass/drums sound...mixed with today's 'production techniques'. As much as I like Invisible...Larry was pretty much non-existent throughout most of the track (electronic beats made up most of the drum track), and whether or not U2 wants to be hip (hop) what makes them the strongest is the "band sound". Again purely speculation...now that all goes out the door if they do a duet w/Dr. Dre...:doh:

It would be an interesting concept, but unlikely.

Ugh. Yeah, I'm getting quite tired of them "returning" to their roots. Time to sprout some branches again.
I just want music. When it comes to how it's going to sound or whether it's going to be better than the rest of their discography, that's not important to me. However, I can't deny that my expectations rose slightly after 'Invisible'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom