LP 13: See you next Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only thing "beats" related we'll see is a pair of headphones that connect through the iphone's stupid lightning port. And maybe the headphones that come with the iPhone will be beats ear buds. If there was a revamped beats streaming service or some iTunes beats integration we'd probably have heard about it by now.

Always possible I suppose, but yea.

I do wonder sometimes if I'm genuinely excited for the new record, or simply following it out of habit. A little of both I suppose. I'll be pleased, and surprised, if the music's really good.

I hear ya. I'm following out of habit and intrigue more than excitement. I still have love for U2, obviously but I don't get excited about much of anything anymore. Well, maybe the new Star Wars movie...practical effects!

Honestly, if I genuinely thought U2 were about to try something unique and interesting, musically, I would probably be excited. Instead, I pretty much expect more Invisibles and Ordinary Loves. Which is okay, I guess...for 21st Century U2. It beats more Elevations, Sexy Boots and Dismantled Bombs.

I'd just like more freewheeling stuff. Something that sounded like it wasn't pored over incessantly until all the flaws and features were hammered out of it. Something that captured some magic and they just let it stand (like Moment of Surrender or most everything released before 1997).

And after U2's longest studio session (with ease), after their stated goals of pop relevance...I'd have to be batshit insane to expect that.

But I don't think anything changes about their 'legacy' regardless. It's all gravy. That's part of why it's not that exciting...I mean, if they came out today and said "album pushed back to March 2015", I would feel the same as if they said "Album next week". I'm rendered in 'waiting mode' and that's fine because I pretty much feel that this is it. Maybe it's the penultimate album but certainly we are in the home stretch.

Aside from all of that, there is plenty of other music to listen to.

Trivia question:

What do call a mix of a shit and a fart?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Honestly the 2nd tweet just looks like he's an attention-seeker.

I've been talking quite a bit with him online. I think he's just a music nerd, like the rest of us. Sometimes privy to a bit more inside info, other times speculating along with us.

I hear ya. I'm following out of habit and intrigue more than excitement. I still have love for U2, obviously but I don't get excited about much of anything anymore. Well, maybe the new Star Wars movie...practical effects!

Honestly, if I genuinely thought U2 were about to try something unique and interesting, musically, I would probably be excited. Instead, I pretty much expect more Invisibles and Ordinary Loves. Which is okay, I guess...for 21st Century U2. It beats more Elevations, Sexy Boots and Dismantled Bombs.

I'd just like more freewheeling stuff. Something that sounded like it wasn't pored over incessantly until all the flaws and features were hammered out of it. Something that captured some magic and they just let it stand (like Moment of Surrender or most everything released before 1997).

And after U2's longest studio session (with ease), after their stated goals of pop relevance...I'd have to be batshit insane to expect that.

But I don't think anything changes about their 'legacy' regardless. It's all gravy. That's part of why it's not that exciting...I mean, if they came out today and said "album pushed back to March 2015", I would feel the same as if they said "Album next week". I'm rendered in 'waiting mode' and that's fine because I pretty much feel that this is it. Maybe it's the penultimate album but certainly we are in the home stretch.

Damn it. Why do you have to go and always post exactly what I'm feeling.

I feel like the anticipation of this album is more out of habit than true excitement. My excitement has been squashed ever since I gleefully hit the play button on Invisible and almost didn't make it through the song, I was so let down.

My hope is that they would go somewhere dark again. Get more grit and pain thrown in there. But alas, I know in the back of my mind that's very unlikely.

And like you said, their legacy is solid with me, and I think in the music world in general. I think the part of me that is the lifetime fan, wishes that they do really come out with something truly remarkable and it makes people genuinely love what they are doing for the music. Love for this to be the topper of their long and varied career.

enough rambling. Bring on then single

I wouldn't say that everything song is necessarily as good as it can be just from a day or two of work though. If that were the case, UTEOTW would still be I Feel Free, and so on and so forth.

Maybe i'm alone on this one but I am getting the feeling this will be a special album...a la JT, AB etc...special, but sounding different from either if them. It will have its own sound and vibe and better than anything from 2000 on.:up:

Maybe i'm alone on this one but I am getting the feeling this will be a special album...a la JT, AB etc...special, but sounding different from either if them. It will have its own sound and vibe and better than anything from 2000 on.:up:

Same here. I'm doing everything I can to lower my expectations, but if I were to be 100% completely honest, I really do think we're in for a remarkable album. I hesitate even typing that knowing what we very well might get instead, but that's my honest assessment.

Is it a gut feeling? (It is Friday after all).

I'd like to believe that could be the case, but certainly haven't seen any evidence to back it up. Ordinary Song certainly wasn't special (far from it in fact) and Invisible while an upgrade over Ordinary Song still nothing earthshattering.

:up: (especially about the Episode VII practical effects....Models! Bigatures!)

I'm not expecting them to displace any of my three favorite albums by them, and nor should anybody else, really. Why should you? They're so far into their careers and in unprecedented territory. As others have said, their legacy is signed, sealed and delivered regardless of what this album is like.

Am I excited for it though? Yep, without a doubt. They're my favorite band, and even on my least-favorite albums by them, there's always a couple songs that stick with me.

If nothing does? Oh well, that'll stink, but I have their other albums and other music to listen to. But they're still my favorite band and probably always will be, so it's impossible for me not to be excited -- even if I don't think the overall quality will be on par with say, Streets, Until the End of the World, Gone, Bad. And should anybody expect that? Those are some good fucking songs.

I'm not expecting them to displace any of my three favorite albums by them, and nor should anybody else, really. Why should you? They're so far into their careers and in unprecedented territory. As others have said, their legacy is signed, sealed and delivered regardless of what this album is like.

Am I excited for it though? Yep, without a doubt. They're my favorite band, and even on my least-favorite albums by them, there's always a couple songs that stick with me.

If nothing does? Oh well, that'll stink, but I have their other albums and other music to listen to. But they're still my favorite band and probably always will be, so it's impossible for me not to be excited -- even if I don't think the overall quality will be on par with say, Streets, Until the End of the World, Gone, Bad. And should anybody expect that? Those are some good fucking songs.

Yep. Even though HTDAAB is one of the weaker albums, imo, there are still a good 4-5 songs (not including Mercy) that I absolutely love.

That's pretty much what I'm looking forward to. I'm less confident in the album this late in their career, I'm more confident in them producing a song like NLOTH, MOS or Fez that will stick with me as an all time favorite.

Great post, I feel the same way.

Is it a gut feeling? (It is Friday after all).

I'd like to believe that could be the case, but certainly haven't seen any evidence to back it up. Ordinary Song certainly wasn't special (far from it in fact) and Invisible while an upgrade over Ordinary Song still nothing earthshattering.

GFF: gut feeling Friday...I think they've learned from ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH what works and what doesnt. If this is their last party, they are going out of their way for memorable hooks by hiring the best of the best producers, they don't want to go out with a whimper, and they want to leave us with a few more classics that only they can deliver.....fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom